This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in the Eighties!

I'm often accused of this :blush: , and it could be justified!

I've just discovered an album called "I :love: 80s" in my CD collection. My OH must have bought it a while back and I had no idea. It's got loads of good 80s hits including ones from Dead or Alive, Adam and the Ants, Kim Wilde (!), Nik Kershaw (!!), Simple Minds(!!!).

It's taking me back to the days when I used to wear plastic jewellery and thought that St Elmo’s Fire and the Breakfast Club were the best films ever.

It's definitely going in my car tomorrow :lol:

Anyone else still living in the eighties?

I was looking at a book that was published in 1985 today with my boy and he asked 'is this an old book?' When I showed him the date I asked him, 'Well, do you think that's really ancient then...?' (as a joke) and he said 'yes, it's really, really old!' :blink:

I felt ancient then, cos I remember getting that book as if it were yesterday :cry: :lol:

Well, what I really wanted to say was that I hated 80's music and fashion - all that dayglo stuff and stripey knitted things - eeek! 8-X

That's what turned me 'indie'. So I should be grateful really otherwise I would never have got into the Smiths, The Cure, U2, Mighty Lemon Drops, 10,000 Maniacs... :thumbs:

Comment

all sounds good to me!

I like a lot of the stuff from the 80s, makes me feel old coz we listen to radio 2 in the car and sing!! just like my dad used to!! :lol:

didnt like the clothes though, those shoulder pads, ughhh, loved my leg warmers though!

Comment

Oooohh yes, the 80's, i was at senior school then. some of the music was absolutely great, like spandau ballet and wham and duran duran, so many hunky blokes for a teenage girl to ogle :lol:

i must say i was quite torn between the new romantics and the previous punk and mod stuff so i liked all sorts of stuff, but i was totally into UB40...I still think their music is top quality stuff. :notworthy:

some of the later stuff from the 80s was terribly naff, like kajagoogoo, nick kershaw etc, so thank goodness the smiths and U2 came along !

and the fashions went a bit ridick, like rara and the puffball skirts, but i do miss leg warmers, i thought they were excellent under/ over a pair of white fringed boots....

oh the good ole days going up the pink elephant with me mates with all me hair backcombed, lots of black eyeliner on and the flounciest skirt, with me white high heels on!!!! drinking pernod and black and dancing round our handbags!

it is quite scary to think i left school in the mid 80s and that was nearly 20 years ago! :hihi:
        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

The 80's, brilliant time too.

However, my time was in the mid-latter 70's unk: unk:

Jimmy Somerville - That song song gets me moving straight away oh and Andi Bell.

I hope time has been kinder to us all that it has to the lead singer of Dead or Alive!! (Is it Pete Burn or something similar?)

Did anyone see him recently on Never mind the Buzzcocks 8-X

Comment

i am still living in the eaighties ...or being in it for first time :P ...like those john hughes films and they had good music !

"under blue moon" ...by i think echo and the bunnymen ...top tune!!

"my name is luca" also great song..susan vega /methinks....i think there is loads of great songs from the era which are hardly known at all nowadays ....prolly coz the clothes were so bad :P

Comment

I was busy raising kids then, in between trips to the South Atlantic, very rough seas is my strongest memory.8-X

I do remember the shoulder pads though, Sue Ellen Ewing had to lead the field there, quickly followed by Red :blink: Ouch!

Comment

Is this the chap? Pete Burns?

(looks like a lady!!) :huh:

Comment

ah yes, a very thourough google search and it came up with this "chap"

that pic had the best lip angle! :lol:

Comment

the weirdest thing just happened!.....

went down to pop the kettle on and there was an advert on the goggle box for hits of the 80s....and who was singing.......yep, dead or alive, like a record baby right round!!

que twilight zone music!! :unsure:

Comment

Thats the one Beth :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the picture too

What does he think he looks like??

SP now gone off to the parallel universe. Can you think of the 6 numbers for next week please and post them here

Comment

Just thought maybe he's trying to look like Steve Tyler

Comment

And apparently Pete Burns is married, has been for ages and is a heterosexual...as mad as that seems! they must have an unusual marriage! the husband is more of a girly than the wife :hihi: :lol: i bet she gets fed up with him borrowing her tights and eyeliner :lol:
                          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Annabel, Is that for real???? :lol: :lol:

Can any one remember the song form the early 80's that is not possible to dance to??

Come On Eileen.

Brilliant song. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also, a funny story (for me anyway)

Carma Cameleon was playing as I went in the car to church to get married, sang it all the way to myself walking down the aisle.

The when I got to the alter, the choir came out in their cassocks and suddenly I started humming Madness "Wings of a Dove".

Vicar wasn't impressed neither too was the future hubby :lol: :lol:

Thought I would just share that light hearted moment with you all.

Sorry :blush:

Maria

Comment

When they take me out of the church i want "bat out of hell" playing so whatever you want SP you have. Who cares what those left think. Its your day unk:

The theme to X-files at a wedding!!!!

Whats that go like HN?

Can't watch it, it gives me nightmares !! Come to think of it, so do memories of MY wedding day :lol: :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X