This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Memories

When we were little, we all had to gather at 'Nannies House' for Christmas night. There was singing and dancing and then the 'DREADED SAUSAGE ROLLS'. My Nan used to make a great big plate full and we all had to have a couple on our plates. The trouble was that the pastry was like concrete, so the tradition was that we used to put them in our pockets or down our socks and go and flush them down the loo :sicky:

One night my Nan followed me up, and the loo wouldn't flush...Yes you guessed it 'I GOT CAUGHT' and it has been the laugh of the family ever since. Nan still doesn't know why I did it though, I think it best that she doesn't :lol: :hihi: :lol:

It's always me :lol: :hihi: :lol:

Tri

So they weren't like the sausage rolls from Greggs then? :lol:

I remember one Christmas having sprouts for the first time and thought they were disgusting (love 'em now), and dropping them on the floor "by accident" to get rid of them and I think I somehow managed to hide some in the butter dish :lol: :huh: .

Another time we went out for a Christmas dinner somewhere, along with my gran and grandpa - she advised me to have the gammon. I have never had anything as revolting in my life. I sat chewing it and chewing and it refused to go down. I ended up with a huge ball of chewy gammon in my gob and eventually gipped and it all came out. :sicky:

Merry Christmas everyone :lol: :P :newyear:

Comment

:hihi:

Strewth, I just choked on my horlicks again!

Gipped??? :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: Such a screechingly funny word!!!

Comment

Holly, you really made me laff with that story... :hihi: :hihi:

only the other day my SIL's kid put too much meat in his mouth and was chewing it for absolutely ages but just couldnt get it down, eventually it all slopped back out onto his plate....the little love....8-X

I remember an occasion that is a bit famous in my family, I spent a year abroad on the University degree course, and I came back at Xmas. My mum had really made tons of food, there were so many lovely things to eat, and as I had been living on pasta, rice and vegetables for 4 months i just couldnt get enough of it, even though my belly was absolutely bursting...everybody else had left the table and i was still there for about an hour afterwards , having a bit of this and a bit more of that, and a bit more of this again...eventually i got embarrassed at everyone staring at me making a great big hog of myself, and i reluctantly left the table...

those were the days.... :lol:
        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

The only tradition I can really remember is having to grate rock hard loaves of bread into breadcrumbs for the turkey stuffing.

It took hours, my arms would ache and worst of all the grater was so old and rusty, my hand used to slip and I would grate my knuckles :cry:

I actually feared this part of Xmas so much because I knew I'd be ordered to do it.

:ill:

The stuffing was lovely though- worth all the blood & tears!!!

:eat:

These days, I carry on this tradition to an extent - although I have discovered that food processors are indespensible for breadcrumb making...well worth spending 80 quid on even if it's used for this one task only in a year! :lol:

oooh Annabel, how could you have done that with all those others gawping at your gluttony like that??? :blink: :P

Comment

my dad was a shift worker, so depending on what he was on christmas day, depended on what we did

it normally involved getting up at 5am to open the presents before he went to work then all jumping in the car to go to the river

we used to save all the breadcrusts for a week and then feed the swans and geese

always did that, and we had to save some crumbs for the sqiggles, or they would get jealous!

one year me and my mum had chicken and chips for lunch as my dad was at work, I think I was 8 when he had his first christmas day off, he was a fireman, we always kept a couple of pressies back for when he got home from work.

my mum has a great photo of us holding a ginger bread house we made instead of a cake, and our faces were very quizicle as the ginger bread was hard as nails and no one wanted to touch it!!

now its me doing the shifts and my dad saying he never sees me!! :lol:

Comment

Aww Beth!

chicken and chips for your xmas dinner!!!! :cry: mind you that would be better than eating my MIL's dried out turkey!!! :lol:

I am beginning to understand how people whose loved ones work over xmas feel, as my husband has had to work boxing day for the past 2 years...this year he doesnt and we are all happy about it!!!!
              http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

I have worked 10 out of 12 christmas' now......double time you know!! :lol: :lol:

its really nice to come home after work and snuggle in front of the fire with a glass of wine and some chocs, and a husband who loves you.......awwwwww!! :blush:

Comment

Working...
                X