This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 35 ?...You should be Dead !

Here's why - According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the

40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paint that we would chew on.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we

rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back

of an old van and being thrown about was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cakes, bread and butter, and drank pop with tons of sugar in it, but we

were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one bottle of pop with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually

died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill,

only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes or wall a few

times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back

when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

NO MOBILE PHONES! Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all,

no 99 channels on sat or cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal

cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We had to go outside and find them.

We played football, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees,

got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to

get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and

although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor

did the worms live inside us forever. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's

home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Not everyone made the football team. Those who didn't had to learn to

deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a test and were held back

to repeat the same grade. Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a

law was unheard of. They actually sided with the Police. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and

inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations! :notworthy:

Very true, Vanner!! How did we survive?

Smart-ar*es aren't we?? :P :lol:

Sapph

Comment

Over 35? Counts me out then as I'm a mere baby.

I had a great chopper bike in the 70's though I have to say! :lol: B) Height of coolness!

Comment

:lol:

how about play parks with NO squashy stuff to land on if you fell off? if you cracked yourhead open from whizzing round as fast as possible on the roundabout them jumping off, well tough ! i remember taking our dog down the slide on several occasions...he used to try and bite you so he wouldnt have to do it, but we toook him anyway!!!!

also getting skinned knuckles from sitting on the footboard of the roundabout, dropping a stone, then whizzing round to the other side to pick it up again.

i used to also sit on my scooter and roll at top speed down the hill, what do you mean brakes....we had feet instead....

i used to know a girs who would prise bubble gum off the ground and eat it...nasty...i presume she lived to see her adulthood..... :hihi:

i remember ice on the inside of our windows and i used to sleep with socks and a hat on...how i wasnt taken into care i do not know!

sneaking off down the park when the fun fair was on, and my mum didnt have a clue!!! :hihi: :unsure: :lol:

todays kids are very mollycoddled but isnt it our fault? we are the parents now...we have set the rules...why dont we want our kids to have the same freedom we had?
        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Sitting on your skateboard to go down the 'big' slide and ending up in the paddling pool.

Having to be cut down off the spiked railings on the way home from a disco in 72 because you slipped and were left hanging by your flares.

Smoking Cigars in school break, because they were only 5p and you could blame the smell on your teachers.

Sigh
          'And if the elevator tries to break you down..... Go Crazy..'

Prince

Comment

Vanner

Rode my Chopper Purple it was, probaly lead paint too :lol:

Made mud sandwiches (as I a snob) not mud pies

Was never overweight (probably cause we could play outside for hours)

Tough kids we were then. Not much in the late 60's early 70's about frozen foods (I may be wrong) mum cooked everything fresh.

Used to go on a saturday with my sixpence to the local butchers to fetch 4 fagggots for tea........oops showing my age now :blush:

Good old days eh!!

maria

Comment

Saturday morning matinees......had the old thrupence for that HN.

Wollies Pic 'N' Mix

Comment

Huh!!!!!!!! :P

You calling me riff raff now then are you :yes:

Vanner opened something here or what ????

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2@Dec 9 2003, 12:42 AM

Huh!!!!!!!! :P

You calling me riff raff now then are you :yes:Â*Â*

Vanner opened something here or what ????Â*
                  Wha.......??........Who ??..........Me ??........... :unsure:

As for playing in the Mud, I've just bought a car to do that in me old age !! :drive:

Comment

Just been re-reading this topic.

Yes, I too remember days of ice on the windows. Bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr However, in those days we didn't suffer with as many coughs, colds and flu as we do now with central heating.

I remember blankets and sheets not duvets.

Standing the towels and me dads shirts up in the bath to de-frost in the days before the tumble drier. :lol:

The vegetables me mum used to grow in the garden.

Black and white telly and a record player that would only play 45's.

Outside toilet, tin bath and things under the bed :blush: if it was too cold to outside in the middle of the night

Hughie Greene, Monica Rose, Black and White Minstrels, Bob Monkhouse, Bernie and his bolt :cry:

Scribbling down the Top 20 rundown on a sunday night with my sister and signing from the words in the previous weeks top ten magazine :cry:

Cheers Vanner :angry: you just made me remember how old I really am :cry:

Comment

Oh the "Good old Days" down at the old bull and bush :lol:

And to "sing something simple" :lol: that meant (and the words are still as clear today as they were then........where she gone now, come on drink and get ready for bed :cry:

You not riff raff HN you posher, you can afford a walking , talking living fairy on your xmas tree :lol: :lol:

Oh no, here we go again :cry:

We may have had a posher cinema than you HN B) but me toilet was still outside next to the coal house :lol:

Comment

Anyone remember the witches hat or spiders' web roundabouts in the parks?

We had great fun on them, but they're allowed no more in our 'wrap 'em in cotton wool' era.

Still, I reckon there is hope for us all as long as people still play rugby union, use two wheels or two legs, climb mountains, skate, dive... whatever, just realising you're alive.

The worms I ate as toddler never did me any harm. Musta been something else.

Comment

I remember them Homer, I had many a skinned knuckle and mashed up knees from playing on them....I expect I shall be riddled with arthritis eventually because of it, and try to sue the council for their negligence..... :P

Also the slides are no where near as big and scary as they used to be, in fact they are no fun at all anymore AND kids climb up them the wrong way, which was strictly NO GO when i was a kid.

:lol:
                          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Annabel, have you ever thought the slides may not be as big and as scary when we were kids because we are alot bigger now why do we have to grow up

I know what you mean tho, where has all the fun gone that we were able to indulge in.?

I well remember the spider web roundabouts, came off one once and split my head open and got dog poo on my top :lol: :lol:

Mum NOT impressed :cry:

Comment

I know HN

But even in those days dogs didn't have to worry about being PC about where they pooed :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X