X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can tell you your age...

I saw this somewhere ages ago...it works for everyone I have tried it on:

1. Pick the number of times in a week that you would like to dine out or have a meal prepared for you (must be more than once and fewer than 10).

2. Mulitply the number by 2.

3. Add 5.

4. Multiply it by 50.

5. If you have already had your birthday this year, add 1753. If you haven't had your birthday yet, add 1752.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

7. You should now have a three digit number.

The first number is your original number - ie the times you'd like to eat out or a meal prepared for you and the second two digits are .............your age !!! B)

Freekmungous!! :lol:

Mazza

Tried it , sorry but it dosn't work.

GG.

Comment

GG are u sure? :blink:

I've tried it on loads of bods and it works everytime!

Comment

Freekmungous!!

You said it Mazza

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yes: :jump: :yes:

Blue Cow

Comment

My number was 4, and my date of birth is I got 145, and I am not 45. Work it out folks.

GG.

Comment

Mazza, oops GG messed up. It does work. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

GG.

Comment

Phew, you had me worried there, guys!

:hihi:

Comment

Right, after a good night’s sleep I decided to try to fathom how this works. It’s meant to give the slightly magical impression that somehow the number of times you would like to eat out is linked to your age - unlikely to say the least. I think I’ve managed to explain it to myself, but can I explain it to anyone else? I’m afraid it involves the use of algebra but bear with me.

All the figures in the calculation are fixed except for the number of times you’d like to eat out. In algebra a maths teacher would say “let the number of times you’d like to eat out be x”. Well b*gger that, I’ll just call it “eats” rather than x. So lets do the calculation using “eats” instead of a number.

First we multiply eats by 2 to give

2eats

now we add 5 to give

2eats + 5

then we multiply by 50 to give

50(2eats +5) getting tricky now, but this is the same as

100eats + 250 that means you multiplied 2eats by 50 and multiplied 5 by 50

Hang in there folks the figure of 250 is important and if you think about it you’ll always get 250 at this stage no matter how many times you’d like to eat out because it comes from multiplying 5 by 50 which happens no matter how many eats you choose. No for the next clever bit

we add to this 1753 or 1752 depending on whether or not you’ve already had your birthday, lets work with 1753 for now.

This gives 100eats + 250 + 1753 which is the same as 100eats + 2003

Note the 2003 which is this year. Now you subtract the year in which you were born, lets choose 1948 (now you know how old I am). This gives

100eats + 2003 - 1948 which is the same as 100eats + 55 and 55 is my age.

So lets finish it. If you add chosen 2 as the number of times you’d like to eat out, you’d have

100 x 2 + 55 which is 255, if you chose 3 you’d get 355, 5 would give 555.

Phew, I hope that’s clear. No magic at all, just algebra.

Comment

:huh:

:lol: its keeping some people busy this!! :lol:

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to say that the number of times you'd like to eat out doesn't have to be less than 10, so you could be greedy and choose 99 then rephrase the last few lines to say:

7. You should now have a number which is the number of times you'd like to eat out followed by your age.

By the way to save you trying it, chosing 99 times to eat out if you were born in 1948 gives 9955

Comment

eskander, you have blown my mind!!!! :lol: :lol:
                      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

It should also work for people who only like to eat out once or not at all ...

The only restriction is it won't work for people who reach 100

However, if you just change 2 to 20, then you can do this for people up the age 199.

FF
                        Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :banghead:

stop it now!!!!!!

who started this mind boogling thread???? :blink: :lol: :P

Comment

Sorry Beth but this is getting to be really good fun. The "thread from hell?"or tfh.

Of course I'm sure the more mathematically minded will have already realised that the calculation will have to be modifed if it is to work next year. A tfh rossette to the first one to explain how it should be modified for next year. E-p

Comment

Of yes, and adopting the FF approach, if you change the 2 to 200 instead of 20 you can do it for people up to the age of 1999.

I think I've had enough now and will go for a quiet lie down

Comment

Working...
                              X