• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney

question.....is it me or is disney losing the plot? :huh:

the old films were fantastic

the more modern ones good...ie lion king, toy story etc

but what on earth is going on now???

last one I watched was treasure planet and I have to say it was miles better than lilo and stitch which was appaling! :crazy:

what happened to the fairy tales?????

yes.....I collect Disney films!

:blush:

what does everyone else think?

Hi Beth,

This is a tricky one for me, as I am a massive Disney fan.

I love the old animated films and have collected pretty much all of them, and yes, Beauty and the Beast & Aladdin (& others!) were excellent too.

But lately....Cinderella 2 , Toy Story 2, Jungle Book 2, Aladdin 3 (King of Thieves), The Lion King 2 (Simba's Pride), Peter Pan 2 (Return to Neverland), Atlantis 2.....I mean come on!! Although Blue Cow Jnr absolutely loves them, I do find them a bit of a con. I don't think that any of these are as good as their original films and are riding on the back of their predecessors' success.

But then again, I love all the new Pooh films that have been out over the past few years (royalty issues aside :cry: ).

And.....IMHO Finding Nemo is a great film.

So I'm a bit torn on the subject :blink:

Blue Cow

Comment

I heard finding nemo is great.....but not 100% Disney but more Pixar!

the Pixar ones have been good. like toy story and bugs.

I would be mortified if anyone sold my disney films at a car boot!! :cry: I have about 35.......and no kids!! :geek:

Comment

i think pixar isa seperate CGI company tied up with disney to make films ...really i have no idea but thats my guess.

"just keep swimming".... finding nemo is great!

and beauty and the beast is my all time fav disney film!!

i heard disney is on a bit of a slide so all these sequels are a safe cheaper way to get a bit of revenue i guess. Easier than new ideas i guess, or 2D animation doesn't get as bigger audience nowadays with the CGI gubbins.

beauty and the beast is a great film though..hehe ...when the wardrobes start fighting and stuff ...genius :P

Comment

The old ones are the best, but that may be a reflection of my 'maturity'. Who did Ants and A Bugs Life? I did like those. Red loves the Winnie the Pooh films, but we had him first anyway. Lets hope someone has the sense to hang on to Peter Rabbit though, for Reds sake.

Comment

Cant agree with you on this one, I think the past few years have seen some real classics from Disney. The animation and technical advances are absolutely mind boggling. Like any film studio there will be the odd one that isnt as great, but overall Disney hits the spot time after time. some times i dont like the way the films are drawn, like hunchback of notre dame and lilo and stitch, so i havent bothered seeing those, but i get the dvds for my daughter and she likes them....I dont always like the follow ups like Lady and the tramp 2 and the 'new' winnie the pooh films...i think they are just for cashing in...(sorry BC)..but its all a question of preference isnt it?

The tie in with pixar has been great, as you can see from toy story 1 & 2, bugs life, monsters inc and finding nemo...all complete classics, wonderful animation and good stories too. and it loooks like there are a couple more on the way as well, pixar are doing one with disney about a family of super heroes which will be out next year, and then after that i think there is going to be one about cars...i shall be waiting impatiently!!!! :hihi:
            http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Can't be bothered with Disney anymore - Snow White was the best. Think of the achievement with the technology they had at the time (ie none). Last good one in my opinion was the first Jungle Book.

Comment

Disney films are wonderful. The old classics will always be around I think. The newer ones just seem to be fads. Maybe its just me that can't handle technology. :blush:

Snow White, Bambi :cry: Dumbo :cry: even such films as Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary poppins ( i know some of them not Disney) just timeless

Comment

Monsters Inc. Adorable little Boo.

Comment

Robin Hood - my first cinema trip ! :thumbs:

I like the groovy soundtrack, takes me back...

Comment

Do you not think that it's the fact you/we/us are all getting older ??

And it's us that are losing the 'magic' ??. (Helmet on and entering 'Bunker' !!) :P

Todays 'Kids' films are aimed at todays 'Kids', the fact that we don't much care

for the majority of them, probably shows our age. :unsure:

My nine year old daughter loves them all, from Snow White, through Treasure

Planet to Lilo and Stitch, Nemo etc. She see's no difference in them.

Although the 'Harry Potter' films jump out of the box and into the Dvd player

all by themselves now !!

Preparing myself for Flak !! :unsure: :sad:

Comment

well vanner i think you have a good point as everyone has to grow up eventually and it stands to reason that some kids stuff is gonna leave you completely cold.

i really hate some of the trash that is on telly for kids these days although i am sure my mum (who wouldnt have even had telly when she was a kid) moaned about what i used to watch. and i remember the 'controversy' that grange hill caused when it first came out...nowadays you wouldnt even blink at it!

having said that , i still really enjoy disney films, and the best ones are the ones that include the adults as well...they still have a happy ending and a strong moral message for the kids ( in the best disney tradition), but along the way there will be a few jokes, images and allusions that will go straight over a kids head, but that we will definitely enjoy.

B)

recently we took our daughter to see freaky friday, even i thought 'oh dear' and hubby only came along as he didnt want to be left at home, but we found loads to laugh at, probably more so than our daughter!!! :lol:

i am looking forward to shrek2 when it comes out, in fact i will probably be first in the queue to see it, and the new harry potter ! :P

i thinik its horses for courses, i like this kind of film but science fiction stuff e.g. star wars and the matrix etc etc bore me stiff, as does james bond!!!!

(my turn to take the flak now i have said that!!! :P )
                        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

hehe vanner is just you getting old!! us ladies just get better with age you know!! *grin*

fave disney films of late have to be shrek, monsters inc and finding nemo is right up there! have seen it like 5 times now, and laugh myself stupid every time at the same bits hehe!!

Comment

Working...
                          X