Clear All

• Catherine Cookson collection/old movies

Hi,

My ex bought my daughter the Cartherine Cookson collection of videos

put out by Time-Life. In our time of trauma , trying to sell the old house,

I started watching them too (I have a tv video in my room so I can

watch with headphones and not disturb anyone). They are a little dismal

but I like the acting and the story lines are interesting. Never was a

Catherine Cookson book fan but the videos are good escapism.

Time-Life sends one every month or two and each story has two videos

(part one and two).

I like old movies (good ones not the trashy ones) but it is sad they

are seldom screened and we are often stuck watching new US rubbish.

No-one can out act Bogart, James Mason, and a host of others of

past generations (even Cary Grant etc) . I wish we had more old

movies on TV

Started watching the new episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe on Telly.

I like Dalziel (sp?) because he seems so human (not a particularly

pretty face but a good believable character, I wish he was on my

side in my NFH problems. No one would dare cross him

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I'm not a big Catherine Cookson fan at all, but I do agree with you on the film front. I've gotten so fed up with the movie channels on our satellite TV, that I had them switched off last week (we were paying about £20 per month extra just to see the same rotton films that we didn't want to see at the cinema in the first place).

The only film channel that we now have left is called TCM, which has a daily supply of Cagney, Bogart, Bogarde, Bette Davis etc. and IMO is better than all the others that we had (plus it's free!)

Blue Cow

Comment

you know what blue cow, i was just thinking the same thing myself, why cant they put some classic films on , the kind where you can just blimp out on the sofa on the weekend and enjoy!!!

i even dont care if they are in black and white any more, thats how oldfogeyish i am getting!!!

i said to hubby lets cancel this sky package, but he wont...cos of the footy... bah

i reckon i should get a freeview box and put it in my bedroom...
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi,

That channel with all the old movies sounds great.

Some of the really good older movies have such good

story lines and such good plots and acting that you just

have to see the ending. Sometimes here they screen the

same old classics, the 39 steps or the same old James

Mason movie (cant remember the name). Never get to

see Bette Davis or Clarke Gable or any of the other classics

and it is quite sad. I would also like to see some of the other

Alfred Hitchock movies and such as well as some of the classics

such as those with Grace Kelly and such. Even some old Cagney

movies, anything except the rubbish that is on now.

Melanie

Comment

Hi Annabel

i said to hubby lets cancel this sky package, but he wont...cos of the footy... bah

I had exactly this problem too, so I had to grind him down slowly. The last straw was when Sky wrote to us last month to tell us that the fee was going up (again!!) to £40 per month in the New Year.

The way I see it is that Sky don't show any Saturday matches anyway. They have a running commentary on Sky Sports News for all Premiership and League games, which you can still get if you subscribe to the Family Package (18.50 per month). The only showing of any normal Saturday matches are the highblights on Match of the Day (on ITV) which he can still watch.

Also FA Cup or Coca-Cola cup matches are also shown on either BBC or ITV, so he won't miss these either.

Also many England matches are shown on terrestrial TV.

So really, all he's missing is the occasional early afternoon Saturday matches, Sunday games and Champions League and the odd England game. My argument to this was that he's only ever interested in about one or maybe two games a month, and for that he's got three options:

1. Listen to in on Radio 5 live - which you get for free on your Digibox

2. Find a pub that is showing the England or league game and have an afternoon out

3. All our friends and family have Sky, if he's that desperate then he can go round and visit and watch the game with a friend.

Either way, we're looking to save over £200 per year which can rent you a lot of films that you actually want to see.

So far it's working and hasn't caused him any problems at all. I've said that we're doing this as an ongoing trial, and if it doesn't work, you can get Sky to switch your package back on fully within two hours, so I couldn't see what we had to loose.

OMG, I sound like a complete dictator, but paying £21.50 per month of television that we were not even watching (he often missed games anyway!) was just a little too much for me.

Take care

Blue Cow

Comment

i agree with everything you say blue cow, it is a waste of money, but hubby would never agree to it, as he works saturday eves, so he just LURVES those sunday games, tchhahhh.

also he watches any old footy thats on, spanish, italian, obscure lower league games, repeats. repeats of repeats. i am convinced he is a footy junkie as he gets chronic withdrawal symptoms when the season ends (which is, like, for three measly weeks).

he especially likes that APPALLING :angry: SEXIST rubbish that is on SKy on saturday morning,(he pretends he doesnt though). i really get cross with him.

and he has the cheek to object to my daughter watching 'dick and dom in da bungalow' :lol: and me watching QVC!!!!! :lol: hehehe

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

:lol:

Hi sweetpea,

my grandfather used to look like clark gable when he was young, he had the same 'tache.

my mum and grandmother used to find it very hilarious to tell me my grandad was on the telly and watch me get all excited and kiss the telly!!!!

the things people do to kids!!

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

Working...
              X