This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol Prices

I think most of us on this forum drive cars whether they be petrol or diesel, but, have you often wondered why the cost differs from petrol to petrol station ?

I have found a website run by the AA that gives you the cheapest petrol prices in your area. The cost can differ greatly by as much as 10 pence per litre. According to the site last week, the Texaco service station at Selfridges in central London was selling unleaded for 79.9p per litre, while another Texaco site less than 10 miles away was selling fuel for 69.3p per litre. For a car doing 30mpg clocking up 12,000, miles per year that would add up to a total savinbg of £192.00 - which could go towards the spending money on a well deserved holiday for us lot.

Check out the website - its free and you can do five hits per day at www.aapetrolbusters.com or click on the link.

My Webpage

Originally posted by Scooby@May 25 2003, 12:01 PM

...the Texaco service station at Selfridges in central London was selling unleaded for 79.9p per litre, while another Texaco site less than 10 miles away was selling fuel for 69.3p per litre.
    Thanks Scooby - very interesting, certainly adds up over the year that's for sure!

Maybe Selfridges Petrol was a higher class of fuel or something? It's just snob value isn't it!

As far as I understand it, I think petrol stations can set the prices they want? We've noticed that they are generally a few pence dearer when you go further South - well we've seen this many times travelling to our families in Bedfordshire from Yorkshire anyway.

Comment

The best one round me at the moment is priced at 72.9 p /litre for unleaded.

Comment

You should try the western isles if you want expensive petrol!!!

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

I know its damn expensive HF I have heard prices kicking in around the 95p per litre mark and I wouldn't be surprised if it went even higher.

It is a useful bit of kit. I am all for tracking down a garage that sells reasonably priced petrol. Ours is coming in at 76.6p per litre which is more than Hollys.

Why is there not a universal rate to petrol - why does it need to fluctuate so wildely ?

Comment

Probably because the petrol retailer makes virtually nothing from the sale of petrol itself and so will charge as much as he/she can possibly get away with .

A major supermarket chain has just offered a discount of up 40p per litre!!!!!! if you spent money in its shops.

Does this sort of thing attract you at all.

I'm interested from the other side so to speak. I work for said retailer and over the last two days we have picked up almost an additional £40k per day sales. Our petrol site was reporting like for like turnover of 120% at one point.

who says greed doesnt pay!!

Comment

Originally posted by horsefans@May 26 2003, 7:13 PM

A major supermarket chain has just offered a discount of up 40p per litre!!!!!!* if you spent money in its shops.
              Who!?

I shop @ Sainsbury's regularly.................!

Comment

HF if I could save myself some serious money by shopping at a store and then getting substantial discounts on petrol I'm up for it.

I drive a Land Rover Freelander at the mo and its a thirsty beast compared with the BMW I had previously!

We usually shop at Sainsbury's due to the fact that its near, they have good offers and if you spend over £25.00 you get petrol vouchers at varying increments.

So 40p per litre disccounts would definitely press all of my buttons !

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew@May 26 2003, 8:29 PM

Who!?

I shop @ Sainsbury's regularly.................!
                  The one whom I work for!!

The one who we woke up one morning and found that suddenly we were up for sale!

and that everyone suddenly wants a piece of our a**!!

and that has made working for them an absolute nightmare as we cannot make any long term plans and the cost cutting is now getting to ridiculous proportions!!

grumpy

Comment

HF, are Sainsbury's doing this promotion only north of the border then with this fuel or are we going to be seeing it move south too ?

I'll tell you this if it does it will be a nightmare getting fuel from the supermarket as I also hand over my Nectar card as well.

I bet its flippin bedlam at that petrol station. You need to have a chat with Lord Sainsbury HF see what he can do for you - probably get a P45 in the post knowing him !

Badger did you know that if you have the right smelling tackle you can tell where people have got their 'fuel' from to run their car. Even down to the local chinese or chippy !

Fancy that.

Comment

Just noticed tonight that our local "Tiger" has cut prices to 71.7p/litre unleaded.

Matthew - I think the HF one is in Dewsbury (but no petrol station at that store) - the nearest one is in Meltham.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby@May 27 2003, 7:13 PM

HF, are Sainsbury's doing this promotion only north of the border then with this fuel or are we going to be seeing it move south too ?
                        Dunno guys, its not that one i'm afraid!!

( well not yet , unless they buy us!!)

grumpy

Comment

Working...
                        X