This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for Badger

I don't know if you saw the little piece in the Daily Mail today, Badger, about badgers If not I'm typing it out here for you to see:

Burial committtal prayers at St.Peter's Church in Thundersley, Essex may in future need to carry the caveat 'for the time being'. The churchyard has a plague of badgers which keep truffling for bones and digging up coffins.

A number of Yorick-style skulls have appeared outside the 13th-century church. "The badgers are undermining the graves," says churchwarden Don Burton.

There is evidence of more than 100 bones having been unintentionally exhumed but this being modern Britain, no one dares try to stop the animals which are protected by law.

Some years ago a plan to relocate the badgers to another parish was considered. The cost to the church coffers then would have been £170,000. That sum today would be more than £500,000.

It is estimated there are more than 100 badgers in the seven-acre terraced churchyard. They are rapidly catching up with the number of the congregants who attend the weekly services. "Many years ago, people used to pay a shilling for a dead badger," continues Burton. "That is not the case today."

Indeed it is not. Ninety-nine percent of all congregants are 'very happy' the badgers have taken over the terraced church-yard.

"Most people here love animals," says Burton. Horticulturally-minded neighbours may yet take another view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

First time I've heard of a 'plague' of badgers Nice to hear they're flourishing somewhere though

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Yikes, (un)burial by Badgers!

Badgers have been protected for some time now haven't they, how long has it been?

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow

of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath

borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how

abhorred in my imagination it is!..."

Comment

Ooh, Matthew's getting all Shakespearian Love the tights, Matthew

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Why couldn't Yorick go to the ball?

Because he had no body to go with

Misty

Comment

"BOOM BOOM" (Basil)!

Comment

SNAP - Badger! (Basil) - We posted that exactly at the same times!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger@May 8 2003, 3:31 PM

Over the 500 now as well - hurrah!
              Congrats Badger!

Doesn't take long does it?

Comment

Could you imagine how spooky that could be. Walking through the cemetary at night, when you hear a badger pulling something it's just dug up along the ground?

Of course, you don't know it's a badger....

Comment

That has been on oour local news. The guy who was injured was interviewed and he says his opinion of Badgers hasn't changed (he still likes them!)

The local news said that "vandals" opened the pen of the Badgers and that's how one got out. Don't know why the word 'vandal' was used as no damage has been reported. Perhaps they're running out of names for these *******. I'd call them something else anyway, as the Badger that was put down had a mate that he was brought up with. it was shown in the arms of one of the people who look after it.

Comment

This story of Boris the Badger was quite sad actually, because Badgers are territorial creatures by nature and that because Boris was on unfamiliar ground, anyone who aproached was the enemy and he attacked them.

It's a great pity that when most of us see them, they are - more often than not - lying dead at the side of the road.

A while back now, I was travelling along a country road and picked up two Badgers playing together on the grass verge. I couldn't resist it and I had to pull over and watch them. I must have stayed there for a good 20 minutes or so. It is something that I am glad I did watch as the memory often comes back to me - particulary when I do see them at the roadside.

Comment

Working...
                    X