X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumbled? !

Yikes...

My seven yr old has just come and said this to me:

''Mummy, I am not sure whether I should believe in Santa or not because thre's always been a Santa, but he would have had to be a boy once and so who was Santa before him???''

Eeek, help? :blink:

I am sort of side stepping the answer to this - have told him daddy needs me and I have run away to the computer! h34r:

:wacko: :lol:

Santa was never a boy, was he? :lol: please dont tell me any other :cry:

Santa has always been Santa :sad:

How about something along the lines of the Saint Nicholas theme and as he is a Saint thats how he came to be....

Something along thos lines, I know what I'm trying to say

I believe in him, wouldn't dare question that he isn't real :blush: :lol:

Good luck with that one :thumbs:

Comment

You have a very intelligent 7-year old there Mazza I think he's going to have you researching all sorts of things as he gets older :lol:

Actually, you could tell him that there hasn't always been a Santa and the world was a bit miserable before he came on the scene. But Santa has always been very secretive about where he came from so nobody knows for sure if he ever was a boy. The one thing we know for sure is that he lives near the north pole and works all year to make children happy at Christmas and since he's been around the world has been a much nicer place. Of course Santa has been around for so long that nobody knows just how long it HAS been. And that's all part of the magic of Christmas and we shouldn't ask too many questions because the magic might leave us

I know all this cos I'm really, really old and I'm still trying to find out the answers

Merry Christmas Little Master Mazza :newyear:resent::happyparty:

Misty

PS, that doesn't mean you should stop asking any questions at all. How would we learn if we didn't ask questions?
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I just remembered this, it was a letter written by an 8 year old and the answer she received from the Editor of The New York Sun.

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps,

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

My sister once told me there was no such thing as Santa and she didn't believe in him....even when mum and dad told her she was wrong there was a santa she still wouldn't have it.

Guess who didn't have any present at the bottom of her bed that year :P

He had left hers under the tree for a change, but it taught her a lesson :lol:

Comment

Phew, thanks guys, you've saved me again :notworthy:

I've managed to cobble some sort of explanation together and also found an unlikely ally in the 9 year old elder brother - he said that he believed in Santa definitely and it serves you right if you don't because you'll get coal in your stocking - !!! Phew!! :lol:

I also understand that Santa :santa: will be writing directly to the seven yr old to put him straight :P

Thanks again everyone and have a brill crimbo :thumbs:

:newyear:

Comment

OR could older brother of nine, just not be sure himself and wanted to make sure he got more than coal in his pressie sack ??

Comment

Working...
              X