This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on my Big Fella please

Have found on here there are quite a few cat people, me being one of them.

I've had cats all my life but they have all been from kittens. This one is different.

I came here in July 2001 as the Big Fella and his owners moved about 5 miles away but apparently on three occasions he made his way back up here to his old house. This wasn't his old house, that was aropund the corner from me. Apparently his old owners had 3 children and two terriers. On the last time, they never came back for him so for about a year he was a stray until my friend around the corner took him in. Well, she used to feed him and he sort of rented the garage B) She already has two cats and two dogs (lovely dogs but loopy) anyway as it got colder Tiggie as he was then, moved into her house and lived on top of the fridge freezer, only venturing down for food, milk and the loo.

I went around to see her one night, said hello to the cat on the fridge ten minutes later, he came down, crawled around the back of her sofa and was on my knee asleep....I'd been adopted

He's not all that old, jet black (got a few grey ones now after living with me) and has turned from a very frightened puss into a very contented one. Even tho he can be grumpy at times and has a knack of scratching children if they go to stroke him :cry:

The name Big Fella has stuck with him because a) he's a big puss, i wouldn't argue with him B) i called him big fella one day and he followed :blush:

Anyway, as I am moving, I'm worried what he will do. I'm going to the same area as his previous owners (i'm not thinking he will seek them out) I'm very worried he is going to keep making his way back to here.

The guy buying this house does not have a problem if he comes back here, he said he would take him in and gladly give him a home if that was the case. He is even happy enough to take the Big Fella as coming with the house

The quandry I have is - Do I take him with me and hope he doesn't try to make his way back OR leave him here where I know he will be looked after in a territory he is settled in?

I've gone on abit. May seem trivial to some but the thought of him moving with me and just vanishing is not a thought I like at all.

Yours views are appreciated.

Thanks,

Maria

Hi Maria

I understand your quandry re what to do here.

I moved 4 1/2 years ago, and spent a year collecting one of my cats on a daily basis from an old neighbour's house about 1 1/2 miles away. That wasn't far to go I suppose, but all the road-crossing worried me, and in the end we negotiated that they keep her (me with visitation rights!). Incidentally, they lived quite near my old house, but had moved...she still found them!! Another two spent about 3 months to-ing and fro-ing!

If you do take Big Fella, you really need to aim to keep him in the new house for 2 weeks minimum, ideally limiting him to one room, and expanding his area gradually. He has to "scent" the new house thoroughly to make it his home, and it takes a little time.

At the end of the day, it's your decision. Personally, I would probably go for it, knowing he seems to have a good sense of direction, and that you have a fall-back plan if you need one. Oh, and have him micro-chipped!

All the best with making the decision

Sapph

Comment

Hi there Maria.

This was a worry for me as well, although my cats are so darn lazy I couldnt imagine them making the effort to trek back to the old house!

Is he neutered? if he is a tom the likelihood of him straying is higher as he has more territorial instinct than a neutered cat (at least thats the theory). you might want to get him neutered if that is the case, to help calm him down. you might also like to microchip him.

the other thing is, he seems to have got an attachment to you, so hopefully he will not want to go too far from you. he will definitely want to explore his new territory when he gets to the new house so you will need to keep him in for as long as possible, so that he can put his scent around your new house and not feel threatened and want to run away. I had my cats inside for two weeks until i began to realise they might never actually venture outside, so i felt that they would probably be alright if i removed the litter tray and made them go outside for the loo.

he will be a bit nervous for a while so you will have to shower him with love and affection!
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Thanks for this advise, it really is appreciated.

He has been done. At the moment (as its getting colder) he is just getting even lazier

As we all know, animlas are not daft at all and I am sure he senses that something is happening. I have just recently noticied that he is going into places he wouldn't normally like hiding under my bed, going behind the chairs or sofas, even found him asleep in my dirty washing last night in the bathroom. Whether that is because its warmer I don't know. Even noticied for the first time (as he is a very clean cat) a very faint whiff of tom cat :cry:

He likes to be a bit of "king pin" the only and only so to speak and likes the peace and quiet which he gets here.

When i first got him I only managed to keep him in for a week. He got out the front door, went onto NFH's front garden, did a big p*** and ran straight back in :lol:

never thought of having him chipped, tho. Will look into that straight away.

Thanks once again

Comment

Hi Maria

Nothing I can really add to what the others have already said. I know when I got my cat neutered he stopped staying out all night and wanted to be indoors. We got him neutered at the same time the vet removed his eye after a horrific injury. So maybe that had something to do with it as well.

We thought he might be nervous among the other toms - permanent wink and no tackle, the toms might get the wrong idea

Good luck whatever you decide

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

and no tackle :cry: :lol:

Bless him.

The BF has a certain look about him, attitude with a real evil look when he wants, a sort of OY, my sofa, find your own chair.

Okay than BF, i'll sit over there shall I :blink:

Comment

Thanks for the tips there, agan.

I'm sure he will love his mobile flashing hat :lol:

But why as a joke? I bought mine as my christmas present for me :blush: :thumbs:

Comment

Just to update you all....

The Big Fella IS going on holiday next Thursday for one week at least. He has been booked in to be pampered and totally spoilt at a cattery not far from here in preparation for the week after when he is going to be micro-chipped (I feel quite squeamish at the thought of that yuk) and then hopefully if the move does go as planned on the 30th, the following week he will be moving into his new territory.

As I know he has left to find his way back before, I thought a short spell away in the cattery would maybe dis-orientate him and he may settle quicker than if he was around during all the chaos.

Marvellous really, the Cat gets the holiday!!!!!!!!

How has the better life eh? :lol:

Comment

Awww poor old big fella, i feel a bit sorry for him! but its all for the best!

my cats get the serious hump when they have to go into the cattery and literally sulk for several days after i have got them home!!!! i usually end up bribing them with tuna or prawns to let me stroke them!!! the beasts!!!!
                  http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Big Fella knows where his bread is buttered

Talking of butter, isn't putting butter on their paws supposed to work? :unsure:

Comment

I've heard that too Hol - never tried it though.

Don't worry about the microchipping, it only takes a second.

Hope it all goes well Maria and I hope Big Fella enjoys his holiday
                      BE BOLSHY - RECLAIM YOUR GARDEN!

Comment

Good luck with the move, Maria! Isn't he the lucky one getting to go on holiday away from all the stresses of moving?

And when he moves in, keep him in as long as you can for him to "scent" his new home. Hopefully, all will be well...and if he wanders off, at least he's going to be micro-chipped

best of luck :clover:

Sapph

Comment

Cats getting holidays? I want to come back as a cat! (or a pig )

Good luck with the move, Maria, hope it goes smoothly and that Big Fella will settle down nicely

Misty
                          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

they used to say smear butter on a cats paws when you move to make it stay in the house

I think you would just end up with greasy floors!!!

it is a good idea to have him out of the way while you move, less traumatic

Comment

Working...
                            X