X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October, a time for festivals!

This October 1,000s of people are celebrating different festivals,

October brings the end of summer and halloween night and it also brings this year, Diwali, the festival of lights and the start of Ramadan, the fasting month.

Diwali, a Hindu festival, celebrates the home coming of Rama and his coronation as king, in Gujarat, the festival honors Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth; and in Bengal, it is associated with the goddess Kali. Everywhere, it signifies the renewal of life, and accordingly it is common to wear new clothes on the day of the festival; similarly, it heralds the approach of winter and the beginning of the sowing season. :salut:

Also many hundreds of lights are lit in many forms, some people will hang "fairy lights" around their homes, others will adorn their gardens with lanterns.

this also is a time when many fireworks are used, however these fireworks are normally used in displays and not on the street, which is a major problem in our home areas.

Ramadan is the fasting month, Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives. There are as many meanings of Ramadan as there are Muslims.

the fasting starts from dawn and can be broken at dusk, and at the end of Ramadan Muslims celebrate the festival of Eid al-fitr, where people dress in the finest clothes and share food with each other and the less fortunate.

this Years Eid al-fitr falls on the 26th November. :eat: :fun:

So what ever faith you believe in, please enjoy your festivals!! :happyparty:

:salut:

Ditto, Beth!! Half of my office are fasting, and doing great with something that I'm not sure I would have the will-power to succeed at . And, I'm hoping when Eid comes, I will be able to share in the celebrating also (and some of the food!)

Sapph

Comment

Beth, great post.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all spent more time celebrating each others festivals etc. It would be sure to lead to increased understanding.

Comment

I shall be celebrating Samhain on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by hollygolightly@Oct 29 2003, 12:12 AM

I shall be celebrating Samhain on Friday.*
          hehe, otherwise known as Halloween! :lol:

or shadow fest

old hallaw mas

all saints day

martinmas!!

but of course it depends from which angle you are celebretting!

if its from the celtic view you celebrate on 1st November. in Gaelic the translation of samhain means summer end!

Comment

Very interesting Beth

I know of the festivals, but never knew when to really expect them, so that's been really useful

And to have a bit of background's great too - I only learned a tiny bit about Divali at school - nothing about any of the others though .

Comment

Working...
            X