This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Literate or barmy?

Right, this is about off topic as it gets. I've just installed the Linux operating system on my PC so that I can try an alternative to Windows. Took me since late Friday to make it work well enough to access the internet which is what I'm doing now. Is anyone else on this forum enough of an IT nerd to have tried this? Can't make up my kind whether I'm pleased with myself or embarassed. Of course I might be deluding myself and it doesn't work at all, in which case no one will ever see this posting. Ah well, time will tell.

Some interetsing things about Linux for those who've never heard of it. Its known as "open source" which means it's free. You can buy a boxed version for about £30 or download it from the web for nothing. It has a similar look and feel to Windows and it comes with free intenet browser which is at least as good as Intenet Explorer and and "office" package with word processor, spreadsheet etc which does all the things MicrSoft Office does for free instaed of several hundred quid.

Mind you, if this sounds good, I can tell from expereince that setting it up is NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

I can see your post Eskander!!!

Although I don't have a scooby doo what you are on about :lol: :hihi:

Where's Matthew when you need him, eh??

Comment

Well, it obviously works, Eskander! Nice one! Don't know much about it, except that it's an alternative operating system!

Wouldn't even go there meself. Just recovering from a virus and frequent Fatal Exception Error problems. That has all taken me 2 weeks to sort out(with help!!), and I fear anything else could cause a terminal situation here. I think you're brave :blink:

Had Lotus on here instead of Word until recently, and spent ages preparing a document to take to work to print off a floppy, to find when I got there that the network at work couldn't read it....grrr. Got Microsoft office 2000 immediately.

Hope it all works without hitches.

Sapph

Comment

Hi Eskander,

Well done!!!!

Linux is good, but one of the drawbacks is that you can't get as many applications for it as you can for windows. This is fine if you just use your computer for business applications, but a bit of a pain if you play games etc on your PC.

We partitioned our computer and duel-booted it with Linux and Windows, so you get the best of both worlds.

Take care

Blue Cow

Comment

Blue Cow - dual booting Windows and Linux is what I did. For Sapph and your virus, one advantage of Linux is that virtually all viruses are targetted at Windows so if you use another operating system you're much safer. It;s quite good fun trawling the web to find applications which will run under Linux - there nearly all free. Just wish it was a bit more user friendly

Comment

Hi Eskander

I tried Linux a couple of years ago, Linux Mandrake - I didn't think it was as easy to install as claimed, by a long shot! :lol: Unless it's got easier.

I 'spose the plus side of Linux is I think most progs are free/open source (?) and downloadable via the net. Most MS Software has alternatives for it.

Got a link somewhere for Tucows Linux, here we go:

http://linux.tucows.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sapphirelily10@Oct 16 2003, 12:55 AM

Had Lotus on here instead of Word until recently, and spent ages preparing a document to take to work to print off a floppy, to find when I got there that the network at work couldn't read it....grrr.* Got Microsoft office 2000 immediately.

What, old AmiPro?!

I've got an MS Word filter to make AmiPro docs work/load in word if you want it?

Comment

Ta for offer M, but I've uninstalled the dastardly thing!!!! Couldn't see a use for it! Wish I'd known about the Word filter at the time tho'

I like the sound of Linux in terms of it not being such a target for virus', Eskander!

Sapph

Comment

Working...
                X