Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife Swap 07/10/2003 - anyone watch it?

Man what a farce, but look at that welfare family, over £37k claimed benefit income - wonder if it's possible? Well here's my take on how it IS possible (posted this on the Channel4 forum for the show when people mocked the claim) -

Is it possible? A question a lot of people have raised. Well, yes it certainly is and potentially they could be claiming a lot more.

Child Benefit - £16.05 for the eldest and £10.75 each for the other 7 kids.

They mentioned Lizzie and the kids had "chronic asthma" so no doubt they are claiming Disability Living Allowance for that - the rates are £57.20 per week highest rate for an adult pluse another £39.95 mobility allowance. £53.55 per week highest rate for a child plus £39.40 mobility allowance (remember there's 8 kids there!)...

Then assuming Mark is actually claiming to be looking for work (JSA) rates are £85.75 per week for a couple over 18 with children PLUS £38.50 per child.

Now add onto that free rent, paid council tax, free prescriptions, dental, eyecare, milk tokens for the children etc etc etc.

Our welfare system needs a severe kick up the backside when people are allowed to breed freely like this with no means to support their families the payments limit should be the first 2 children.

Hi Wile-E

I missed this last one, but after reading your post, I am now going to have to watch the E4 repeat out of principle.

I have a fundamental problem with most of the mothers on this program, in that they all say how much they love their children and put them first etc, but are still able to leave them for two weeks with a stranger and no contact. I seriously could never do that, even if Channel 4 were going to pay me a nice sum of money and all my mates could see me on the telly.

As for the benefit, £37k sounds quite a lot, but if they had 8 children, then yes I'm sure it could be done.

Take care

Blue Cow

Comment

they talked about this on the wright stuff this morning

and the lady in question rang in and spoke on the show.

it is important I think to bear in mind that up to 2 1/2 years ago the husband was working, by which point they had 5 kids, he was then made redundant from his council job.

yes, they did chose to have have 3 more offspring after he was made redundant.

there are pros and cons in this story, and I am not willing to judge them by my standards.

Comment

I think it was clear that the couples were from two different worlds hence this is probably why they were put together. This is always the problem with these types of shows. It also happens with Neighbours From hell shows where the object is to entertain in a perverse voyeuristic way rather than trying to address the problem.

I think a lot of editing went into this programme.

But ask me who I'd want as neighbours and it definitely would not be Lizzie( the one with 8 kids)
        Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Yes, I watched it. I think the welfare state has been used and abused by a lot of people so I'm not going to mention that.

But I did think the woman Lizzie was a little..er..unhinged! The language from her and her husband would make a trooper blush! I thought it was disgusting. There was absolutely no need for her to insult the other woman (Emma?) the way she did. She did not know her but decided she was everything she hated. And did her mouth ever stop? She could harangue for England Totally self obsessed, she was right and everybody else was wrong! She obviously didn't trust her husband. And she claimed to be working her a**e off, when she'd sat in her pyjamas all day! What a liar!

All in all I think Emma and Colin got the worse of the deal! I'm afraid as soon as I saw Lizzie I had an idea what she'd be like, she looked far too much like one of my NFH! Oh and selfish, she suffers from asthma as do some of her children but she still smoked! Even I, a smoker, think that was not on.

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I saw some of this as Beth was watching it, was this the episode where the guy (seriously) wanted his wife to treat/call him the master of the house?! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew@Oct 8 2003, 9:16 PM

I saw some of this as Beth was watching it, was this the episode where the guy (seriously) wanted his wife to treat/call him the master of the house?! :lol:
              umm I was flicking through the channels actually!

and it was a differnt one matthew!! :lol:

Comment

I saw the end of it but will try and catch the repeat on E4 too (a la Blue Cow!).

I did think that the figures they quoted sounded a little excessive...not sure how they exactly got to 37 K. It'd be very interesting to get a complete breakdown of that .

Yes, Lizzie was totally outrageous, but I noticed that they did say 'goodbye' nicely at the very end, so I wonder how much we saw was 'whipped up' by the TV company :lol:

Comment

The mother of the eight kids was particularly vicous towards the other woman on GMTV on Tuesday morning.

I didn't watch the programme last night, but on Tues am. she was saying that she had to leave early because she couldn't stand the thought of her husband being left with "that woman" who had stolen a married man.

It'll probably make some sense to those who watched it? :huh:

Comment

I saw the end of it but will try and catch the repeat on E4 too (a la Blue Cow!).

Hi Mazza

It's on 10pm on E4 on Friday.

Please no comments everyone on how I need to get a life, I already know!

Blue Cow

Comment

BC -

You and me both then, eh?? :blink: :hihi:

As if we ain't got enough to do !! :lol:

Comment

Mazza :lol:

I can always multi-task ....wifeswap + ironing / wifeswap + cleaning / wifeswap + finish decorating the living room / wifeswap + get my house ready for my little boys party on Saturday / wifeswap + wine .....take your pick!

Comment

Beth, I only go off my own feelings based on the information I'm presented with. What you see on the programme is more than enough to make things very clear and it's been added to by the subsequent interviews.

They are clearly claiming either incapacity benefit or disability living allowance to be on that kind of benefit based income and yet they're chain smoking their heads off around 8 kids who are supposed to be chronic asthmatics!

The programme was a complete nightmare to watch for every hard working family out there, channel 4's own forums are being hammered with outraged viewers at the minute and it seems there's a few there that know these people. Someone posted their benefit office phone number, which has apparantly been deluged with calls of complaint.

But I mean all in all, they simply weren't pleasant people in any way shape or form, the house she (Lizzy) went too was nice but wasn't a palace yet she immediately rooted through the cupboards and made assumptions based on where the people shopped.. she was rude and obnoxious to the other womans husband even when he was going out of his way to be nice to her and acted the perfect host. Right from the start of the programme, before the swap had begun, she was assuming the other woman was going to be a "sl*pper" so she was clearly insecure about the whole thing from the word go. She called Emma a sl*pper, trollop and a housewrecker based on barely any information which I thought was a bit rich for someone with 8 kids and not all by the same father!

Comment

Lizzie's milking her fame for what its worth in The Daily Mirror today. She comes across even worse IMO.

Daily Mirror Article
                            Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Good lord, how many times do you hear this excuse from people trying to justify why they dont WANT to work - "But at the end of the day we are only getting what we are legally entitled to."

And this line is rich when the entire household is a smog of fag smoke - "One of the reasons we get so much is that we have eight children and three of my children are asthmatic."

Just makes me even more angry. If either one of them got off their backsides and into work they'd qualify for Child Tax Credits etc, but no that means they'd have to go out and do something everyday to get their money doesn't it. Makes me puke. So they're proud they are paying a mortgage on the house are they? nice, it's other people's tax's that are paying that mortgage, not their income.

sc*m, that's all I can say, sc*m.

Comment

Working...
                              X