This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd players

Went Shopping in Tradex for a dvd player, didn't want anything fancy. Bought a LG for just under £80 pounds. A real pain to use, it cannot cope with any double tracked dvds. Now we know why it was so cheap.

Anyway we went to Millers at Crown Point today and bought a all singing all dancing one for just under £500. A Phillips with double tracking, cdrw, mpeg, two scarts etc.

GG.

Nice one - sometimes cheaper products are OK, but it seems with Video's and DVD's in particular it doesn't pay to go cheap. I tend to go for the good stuff Electronically and it often lasts for years too

Comment

I bought a dvd player from Asda for £49.99. I have it in my bedroom attached to the little tv via scart, so far it's done what it's supposed to do

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Nice, sounds good for the bedroom Misty, what brand is that?

Comment

I would love to get a home cinema system - but the shape of our sitting room doesn't really lend itself to setting one up

FF
          Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

ASDA DVD's are the Pacific brand electrical stuff asda sells.... must agree that I can't fault our Pacific either and even if i could i'd still be laughing thanks to the 3 year guarantee asda put on all their electrical goods...

I wouldn't dream of spending a load of money on a dvd player when those ones are available, fully handset hackable to play all regions, yeah you get the odd noticable layer change stutter, but only on the odd movie and it does what it says on the box. Ours is plugged into our stereo system so we get phenomenal sound too.

Comment

Yep: It's a Pacific

Misty
              "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Ho Goosegirl.

I bought an LG dvd player for £80 about 5 months back from Currys as a replacement for my large, ageing Wharfedale player. To my ears and eyes its good, it does occasionally stutter at some discs layer changes but not many. Maybe you have a faulty one?

My only gripe is that it doesn't play most of those dvds my friends lend me! I think you know what I'm saying.......

Comment

Ho Eckie,

I don't know which you mean, please inlighten me. We watched Lord of the rings, and got to the important last part. It stuttered, froze then rewound to the beginning. No amount of fiddling would make it carry on from the area we wanted.

And before anyone asks it was not the dvd, it was new and both the the dvd and player was cleaned.

On the subject of copies people, we would not touch them with a barge pole. You cannot trust other peoples ability.

Besides we have the technology :P

GG.

P.S. And don't bother asking, the answers NO. B)

Comment

Films on dvd are mostly recorded on 2 layers on the disc, thats what makes a dvd disc different from a cd. WHen you watch a film on dvd at some point the laser will have refocus onto the second layer. A dvd players software will usually compensate for this stutter making the pause hard to spot but with my LG it can be seen to stop for half a second. I've read on DVD forums on other sites that some people have had problems with Lord of the Rings dvd.

I was going to ask if you had a copy of.............NO ECKIE STOP

Comment

Morning Eckie,

I wondered if our LG had a fault, we watched Fellowship of the rings and it stuttered. We watched various others, then it just got to the stage where any of the decent dvds would stop.

We cleaned the dvd and the player, this helped a bit. But did not solve it.

Reading everyones comments, it seems that all the dvd players in this price range have this problem in various degrees.

It made no differance if the dvds were new or rented. Or even which shop we bought them from.

We now have a new dvd player, and have watched the same dvds on it. Not a single stutter, from start to finish.

GG.

Comment

Interesting, thanks Eckie

Comment

We bought a Sony one last year, I think it cost £200 - works a treat .

Just in the process of "thinking" about buying a widescreen telly. The one we're thinking about the most ( ) is a 28" flat screen Phillips with virtual dolby. If anyone's got useful comments/suggestions (+ve or -ve) we'd be very grateful .

Comment

Hi Hollygolightly,

We like the Philips widescreen tvs. My partners parents bought a philips 32inch with dvd and video, 6 months ago at Empire stores. The other shops were selling the same at daft prices.

Our tv is a panasonic at the moment, but after moving back home. We hope to get a Philips widescreen or a plasma one, if we can afford one.

We don't drink or smoke, so we thought what the heck. You have to have one vice.

My video that I bought with my old tv, was difficult to set up. I learnt how to say hello, in five different languages. As well as swearing alot. The manual wasn't very helpful, so you had to learn the lingo to be able to change it back to English.

GG.

Comment

My experience with TV's that have built in surround sound is ... they don't really work. Unless you have a rectangular room and can put the TV against one wall, then sit in the middle of the room, so you get the correct sound reflections off the walls (which is how it is supposed to work)

I would go for a wireless 6 speaker set-up. (left,right,center,back-left,back-right,sub-woofer) then you can put the speakers where-ever you want. Make sure the rear speakers have a bit of 'umph' to them, otherwise you lose the 'cinemarama' experience

FF

(P.S. This is based on observation of other peoples systems, as I don't have one of my own yet )
                              Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Working...
                              X