This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Fellow Guinea Pigs!

I just came across this at: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/...sp?story=437515

Government scientists researching how Britain would cope with a nuclear attack drew up secret plans to sell meat from animals injected with radioactive substances in laboratory tests.

Officials at the Ministry of Agriculture wanted to distribute to butchers the carcasses of sheep, pigs and cattle contaminated with nuclear isotopes up to 100 times the level considered safe for humans. The blueprint, placed before a secretive Ministry of Agriculture committee on the potential effects of a third world war, proposed circumventing nor-mal meat inspections to avoid "considerable public and political feeling".

Documents released at the National Archives in Kew, south-west London, show scientists in 1955 wanted to find the level of radioactivity needed to make livestock unfit for consumption. The Department of Agricultural Science at the University of Nottingham proposed to inject animals in a research farm with radioactive isotopes of iodine, potassium and sodium.

Dr Hamish Robertson, the scientist in charge of the project, wrote to the Joint Committee on Biological Problems of Nuclear Physics to say the cost of the experiments would be "prohibitive" unless the subjects, in particular lambs, were sold on the retail market. The Ministry of Agriculture decided the animals would still be safe to eat as long as the dose of radiation was no more than 100 times that for a person working in an "official facility" such as a nuclear power station.

Officials calculated that once a period of time had elapsed the only part of the animal that should not be eaten was the thyroid gland, where the highest concentrations of radioactive substances would collect. A report presented to the ministry committee in February 1955 stated: "On the assumption that the thyroid is not normally eaten, and in view of the small fraction of the animal which would be consumed by a single human being and the possible intervening decay of the radioactivity, no hazard could be constituted."

The scientists, who proposed to use substances with a low half-life (the system used to measure the decline of radioactivity), were none the less aware of the outcry their plans might cause.

The documents, originally due for release in 1972 but held back by officials, said: "Considerable public and political feeling about the possible effects of radioactivity means that the ministry must be careful to avoid the appearance of countenancing the consumption of radioactive meat."

Minutes of a meeting added that officials could not rely on meat inspectors to clear the carcasses without full scientific proof that they did not pose a risk to public health. Instead, they drew up proposals for the ministry to run its own safety tests. The report said: "The Ministry will then endeavour to devise satisfactory arrangements for monitoring the animals from Dr Robertson's experiments before these are passed for human consumption."

The documents did not state whether the scheme was put into action. The University of Nottingham and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs had no immediate record yesterday of what happened to the livestock in any experiment.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd already read about certain germs being released over various areas of the UK. The thing is, why should we think this sort of thing isn't going on now? I'll lay odds that it is. My God!!!! The utter arrogance of these government scientists! Another worrying thing is that part of Porton Down has been sold to the Carlyle Group - you know the group that has Daddy Bush and the Bin Ladens as members? Heaven help us when THEY decide to use us sheeple for their experiments!!!!

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

In 1955, they had no idea about safe levels of internal radiation exposure. The data on the Japanese bombs and industrial radiation workers was only just starting to make sense as long term effects became apparent.

The current maximum annual dose (whole body) that a radiation worker is allowed to recieve before having to stop work is 0.02 Sievert.

It has been found that you need to reach a dose of 0.1 Sv for there to be detectable damage to your chromosomes.

If you recieve a dose of around 3 Sv you risk possible death.

Over 10 Sv it is certain death.

Although the proposed 1955 tests would not have caused any immediate damage to the people involved, there would have been unknown long term effects.

We now know those to be cancer induction and hereditory disorders.

The risk of cancer increases by 5% for every seivert of absorbed dose. (note that as we are constantly absorbing radiation from the environment, our risk of getting cancer increases with age - don't worry though, over 40 years your risk only increases by 0.5% on average)

Hereditory effects are possible, but have not yet been observed in humans.

FF
    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

All very scary.

Nothing surprises me anymore. :angry:

Comment

But... wait! If they are still carrying out these, tests... Um... could I volunteer my NFH as subjects, d'you think? :devil:

Comment

ooo Misty, nasty plot...and entirely credible!!

Makes me glad I don't eat meat (amongst other reasons of course!)

sapph

Comment

Hi Misty,

Terrible the way humans treat humans and other animal species isn't it?

I always found this quote quite enlightening.

" Isn't man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife - birds, kangaroos, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice, foxes, and dingoes - by the millions in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billions and eats them.This in turn kills man by the millions, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative and fatal health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year sends out a card praying for 'Peace on Earth'. " - C. David Coats (from the preface of his book: Old MacDonald's Factory Farm)

Melanie

Comment

oh theres a full issue there, including and not limited too "what gives us that right" to say we are worth more than any other living thing.

If aliens landed who were a little bit cleverer and experiment on us to save them....i don't think we would agree they have that right...juss coz they a bit smarter, but i'm as guilty of apathy as anywun.

I thought animal testing was becoming extinct though..cheaper on hummans ...less activists.

i don't know...i still an not a vegan or anything.

Stories of infected meat getting into the public supply, croytsfeld yacob disease.

Survival of the dummest!!

(i'm not certian , but i think i used hypocritiality just then)

Comment

Is the arguement: "What would you rather save? Your child or a dog in a laboratory" really valid?

I have thought it a bit dubious for some time. This was bolstered somewhat when someone used it against someone from an anti-vivisection organisation.

The response was: "If it was a choice betwen saving my child or an animal in a laboratory, I'd choose my child. But then again, if it was a straight choice between saving the life of your child or my child; then I am sorry but I would not want your child saved."

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately many animals are the subjects of useless research

that does nothing but provide employment for researchers through grants etc.

I believe the results of many animal tests do not translate to humans

(remember thalidomide? safe for rats but harmful to people?).

I think there are doctors trying to change this state of affairs

(Medical Research Modernisation Committee? USA).

Many animals are also killed and tested on for cosmetics (the driaze test where rabbits are placed in boxes so they cant move and chemicals are put in their eyes)

and many products have testing that asks for the LD50 test (Lethal Dose

to kill 50%). I buy few items of makeup and make sure not to buy

products tested on animals. It is cruel and unecessary.

As for nuclear testing, I remember seeing and old movie of a dog

chained to a pole near an atom bomb site to see if it would live.

How cruel and unecessary.

Most humans used to die at 40 or so and in many countries this still

happens. Death is a part of life. Older people die to make way for the young

yet some people would like to live forever and the earth just cannot

sustain that amount of human population growth. (Besides humans

waste the most recources, especially in developed countries and we damage

the planet the most).

Anyway, that's just my soapbox for today.

Melanie

Comment

(Besides humans

waste the most recources, especially in developed countries and we damage

the planet the most).

That is so true, Melanie. How much food is destroyed because it is 'over quota'? I just saw something on tv about the fishing industry. Fishermen are throwing hundreds of tons of fish back into the sea because their quotas have been cut by the EU. What is the point of killing fish only to throw them away? It's madness!!! There are enough resources on this planet to feed everybody but the greed of the few outweigh the need of the many!! Things must change!!

As for animal testing, well from what I've read very little, as you say, Melanie, translates to humans. Somebody just dreamed up the idea and the scientific and governmental agencies grasped on to it to 'reassure' the public that proper testing was being done. But I'd better not get started on that or I'll bore you all day

Misty
                    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

with regards animal testing of cosmetics, my own opinion is why is this still happening? who actually does this? most cosmetics i come across in shops say not tested on animals.

is it just the very 'exclusive', expensive brands that still do it?
                      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

oh and i wanted to say, about the ageing population, i hear so often these days, when a person dies in their seventies, 'that thats a young age to die'. and when you consider the pensions crisis, it could be that some of us will have to still be working full time into our seventies, and if so we will probably expect to live into our nineties and be healthy with it....its so weird!
                        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Working...
                        X