This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear Of The Dentist?

I'm back again to the dentist this afternoon for a filling, just one thankfully.

While I admit I'm not a big fan by any means of the dentist, I don't like going at all, but I'll get there, just! :lol:

There are people I know that have such a fear of the dentist they would rather have their teeth rot and drop out, than go.

Here's a totally off topic poll anyway, might be interesting to see how people feel
    Yes - absolutely petrified!
    0%
    A little, but not 'fear', just feel uncomfortable
    0%
    Slight apprehension
    0%
    Not bothered either way
    0%
    I enjoy my visits
    0%
    Can't get enough of it!
    0%
    What's a dentist?
    0%
    I am a dentist!
    0%

I go every 6 months. I have to pretend to be brave because the kids go too, but I feel sick every time

I had to go back and get a small filling last time and when I came out I had nail marks all over my arms.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Redwitch@Aug 21 2003, 2:27 PM

when I came out I had nail marks all over my arms.

Good luck!
      Yikes!

Thanks RW!

Comment

Don't really mind once I'm in there...

It's the getting there/making the appointment that's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by HadEnough@Aug 21 2003, 2:50 PM

Mine - well he's drop dead gorgeous so there is something very pleasant to concentrate on.
          LOL!

Actually all the Dental Nurses at mine are really attractive! - does the profession attract such nice looking people I wonder?! :lol: :P

{Matthew_face_feels_like_it's_been_kicked_by_a_mul e!}

Comment

:tooth: :tooth: :tooth:

Aaaw Matthew, hope you are feeling better by now.

I am the worst - never seen a dentist since I was 7!!!!! Won't tell you how old I am now, but it's a lot more than that!!!

It's not so much fear in my case, more extreme embarrassment :blink: .

Worse still, I still won't make an appointment and my kids were due there yesterday evening!!!

But it gets even worse - my wisdom teeth ache and I will be forced to act sometime - yikes :blush:

Mazza (ashamed)

Comment

I listened to a very interesting programme on a web based radio show. This chap was talking about teeth and how tooth enamel, like bone can regenerate. He claimed that the enamel of the teeth contain small holes and using toothpaste clogs up these holes and so inhibits regeneration. He then went on to say that the worse thing you can do is let a dentist use a metal implement on your teeth.

I thought he talked a lot of sense, but then I would, last time I went to the dentists I had a terrible time. So now I use soap and bicarb to clean my teeth. Sounds awful doesn't it? But I was pleasantly surprised to find that scrubbing your teeth with soap doesn't taste that bad. This chap claimed that if you have sensitive teeth and you use soap you will find your teeth becaome much less sensitive. And guess what? He was right. I can chomp down on an ice lolly now and not feel a thing

Anyway, here's something I found on google:

http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/...une/006846.html which says more or less the same thing.

There is something else I could say about dental implements, but I don't want to scare people too much

Misty
              "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by mazza@Aug 21 2003, 7:09 PM

Aaaw Matthew, hope you are feeling better by now.*
                Thanks Mazza - well three and a half hours after the injection finally wore off! Resulting in sore/painful tooth - not sure if where I had the injection or it's the tooth, either way I'm afraid the Neurofen BEAT the Stella Beer tonight; which is most unfortunate really, as I was looking forward to that.

Maybe in a few hours.....! :lol:

Hey, if you're wisdom teeth are playing up and aching, you really must be brave and go and get it sorted. They could infect, inflame and decay nastily otherwise and give you a really bad time. :sad: I won't tell you about my wisdom teeth, but suffice to say they've all gone now - 2 at a time in my early 20's - they would have caused *big probs* if I'd still got them.

I believe Wisdom Teeth are a by gone tooth no longer needed that were used to crunch bones when human's ate more raw meat/foods etc years and years ago, anyone confirm this?

Comment

Oooh IknowIknowIknow I should, but aaaahhhh....

Hmm, not sure about the soap though never heard of that before!! I would even try that before going to the dentist if I thought it would keep me out of there! :hihi:

I have an electric toothbrush though - brilliant!!!

By the way, Stella AND Nurofen would def do the trick!!!

Mazza

:tooth:

Comment

V brave, Matthew

If you ever want to swop wisdom teeth stories, I'm here....wtfh :lol:

Sapph

Comment

i have heard the acronym "wtfh" before...i would be suprised if it meant what i thought it meant ..carrrblooey!

i might buy a new car

i also hate the dentist....i had free dentilation up until left shhkewl..i was shocked to find out have to pay for it ..what a cheek!....

i didn't see a dental for must be over 4 years i think *cue imbarrassmeant*..not so much hating it...as just lazy to join a place and make an appointment :P

first time i had a check up was few months ago i think...needed fillin...the g*t didn't want to use anasthetick.." he said " i don't usually werk with that" (obvioulsy to keep the conveyer belt churning) dentists do get major mulla....it compensate fort the fact they are failed doctors, can you tell i am not overly enamoured with em.

my dentist is a sarcy plonk but its not the time to call someone on being gittish when they are about to start waving sharp implements inside yer gob, plus teeth done by g*t is better than rotten teeth when am unable to get in any other place..big waitin lists here.

($1 to april for use of gob)

Comment

Why Vern!....wondering what YOU think it means :hihi: :hihi:

Would you like to comment on WHICH new car you're thinking of buying? Will you be doing some cleaning or something to raise the money? :P

Agree, dentist is better than nad teeth...as I found out to my cost(both meanings!) when I didn't go out of fear/poverty/laziness for four years

Sapphy

Comment

dentists do get major mulla....it compensate fort the fact they are failed doctors, can you tell i am not overly enamoured with em.

Oh, Vern, I love some of the things you say :lol:

But think of it, don't dentists have a vested interest in bad teeth? Think about it

Misty
                          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

On wisdom teeth. I was scheduled to have one of my wisdom teeth out in hospital about ten years ago. Turned up at the hospital... and turned back again. Long story short; didn't have the tooth out and the terrible ache and pain went away and never came back. The tooth is still there.

On the teeth cleaning, yes I've heard a few things about that, friend of a friend tried to bring all this to light after reading a book about dental fillings and just exactly what dentists were up to in our mouths (oh shut up!), what they shouldn't be doing and what they get away with. All down to money of course.

Saying that, my fella has a brilliant dentist, who wouldn't do anything he shouldn't and is 'conservative' in his treatment. Suffice to say I can't get on his list as it's full.

Comment

Wisdom teeth. All four out in hospital....3 weeks off sick...more than for broken limbs, and proper operations.....VERY scary, and painful, and unsightly(face like a football for about a week). Oh, and no solid food for two weeks....great if you fancy dieting :lol:

Had some terrible dentists, but right now, have the dental equivalent of an angel of mercy....she should win an award. Spinkysay...this one is worth moving for! :lol: :hihi: :lol:

Sapph

Comment

Working...
                              X