This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars

Have you looked up into the night sky lately? If you look towards the southwest in the late evening you can see Mars. It's easy to identify because it really does have a red glow. By 29 August it will be the second brightest object in the sky (first one being the moon) and it's been 73,000 years since it was this close. Of course it was around that time that something cataclysmic happened to earth, probably coincidence though, don't panic

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

ummm........thanks Misty!!

will try not to panic too much!!! :blink:

will look and see if I can see it tonight!

Comment

i read about that, my daughter will love that!!!

i remember seeing that comet about 7 yrs ago, my daughter was too tiny to be bothered.

i love all this cosmic stuff.
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

If you get a good pair of binoculars and a deckchair, you may be able to make out the 'disk' of mars, by lying on your back in the chair, and holding the bino's very steady.

Bonus points if you can make out the white polar caps

FF
        Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Yep, its there alright. I think its only (only!) 25 million miles from earth at present which is why there are three spacecraft on their way now at present.

The two NASA rovers Spirit & Opportunity and the european/russian Mars Express.

All scheduled to arrive in Dec 2003/Jan 2004.

It was the Pathfinder mission to Mars about 6 years ago that got me onto the internet in the first place. To have pictures from the surface of Mars almost instantaneously sent to your home computer was just amazing to me.
          Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

I shall keep my eye out for it.

I posted a while back about the moon being a fantastic orangey colour. You really can see some beautiful things in the sky at night.

Comment

Just had a thought,

Don't let your nfh catch you in the garden with bino's ... they may think you are up to no good.

"... but officer, I was just looking at Uranus ..."

FF
              Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Mistyeyeddreamer@Aug 6 2003, 1:22 PM

Have you looked up into the night sky lately?* If you look towards the southwest in the late evening you can see Mars.* It's easy to identify because it really does have a red glow. By 29 August it will be the second brightest object in the sky (first one being the moon) and it's been 73,000 years since it was this close.** Of course it was around that time that something cataclysmic happened to earth, probably coincidence though, don't panic

Misty
                  *HOT GREETINGS*

Crikey,Misty,I never thought you were that old.

Comment

Crikey,Misty,I never thought you were that old.

It's my naturally youthful looks that fool people, Mr.U I never cross my legs, eat only wholesome food and only smoke the finest virginia tobacco That's my secret

Misty
                    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

*GREETINGS*

Hmmmm...

MAYBE i should try that.

apart from the uncrossed legs bit.

WOW a Mc Donald....Quarter pounder.

Sorry Matthew?????? :P

Comment

Would that be the 'Golden Virginia' type. A person after my own heart

crikey the sky is a very strange colour, not one I've seen before.

Sure it's Golden Virginia ?? :unsure:

Kevin

Comment

Didn't see Mars, but crikey the sky is a very strange colour, not one I've seen before

I was looking at the sky in the early hours. It was totally overcast but the street lighting, airport lights, stanlow refinery lights must have been reflecting back from the clouds which were a strange orange colour. So there was an eerie twilight and I could see everything quite clearly.

Anyway, April, what were you doing up at 2.23am? And Kevin, 3.16am Is there some sort of a sleepless epidemic?

Misty

Comment

I've pulled the midnight to midday shift.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Kevin

Comment

I tried to look last night

couldnt see much as there was a major pollution haze in the Leeds direction, a lot stronger orangy glow than normal, must of been the extra ozone caused by the heat! (saw it on the weather!!)

then I realised I was looking in the wrong direction!! :huh:

but there are trees in the way and I was in my dressing gown so couldnt go any further out to look

will have a look from work tonight!

Comment

Working...
                              X