This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does This Pop Up Pop Up?

I have been plagued by this page that comes up about 5 minutes after logging on:

http://www.1ad2srvr-cpt-v1.com/ad/show.php...MDENCg==&base=1

At the bottom of the page it says:

http://www.spyhear.com

Sometimes, it says that "people" are spying on me.

What's it all about and how can I stop it from popping up?

Help, please!

I've just been to the spyhear page and there's some listening gadget to buy - might sound interesting, but that doesn't stop me wanting to get rid of the b****y thing popping up when I don't want it too.

Sounds like you've inadvertantly installed some software that's added 'spyware' or an 'ad server' etc, or something that's installed itself via your browser automatically.

You need to get Ad-Aware if not already Holly - really good and it may catch it, get from here:

Download Site

If that doesn't get rid of it, I would try looking in the Windows Registry file for anything dodgy looking that looks like it shouldn't be there. Be really careful you don't modify or delete anything here without first checking it out, could cause hours of headaches

e.g.

Go to START, choose RUN and then - Type in: regedit then click OK.

This opens the Registry Editor. You can see all the files and sub-directories and the content/info on the right hand side panel window.

1.) Click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Folder

2.) Click "SOFTWARE" Folder

3.) Click "Microsoft" Folder

4.) Click "Windows" Folder

5.) Click "CurrentVersion" Folder

6.) Click "Run" Folder

- Have a look inside the 'Run' folder from the content panel on the Right hand side and see if anything looks unsusual (you may see ads or something similar in the data or name etc). This listing is what is automatically run when you start your PC up. Let us know if you find anything that may look 'odd'.

Often virus, trojans, spyware etc runs itself and loads up ready as soon as your PC is booted from these instructions in this registry folder area - it's done behind the scenes and silently. It's quite a legitimate area as your PC loads things up like tools etc that are needed straight away when you start up, but dodgy stuff can exploit this so it's then ready to run and/or connect to the internet to communicate when you next go online.

HTH!

Comment

spyhear.com ... Known and confirmed. 100% pure-bred spyware ...

... go get Ad-aware.
      Spy Sweeper[/url] | Ad-Aware[/url] | SpywareBlaster[/url] | ZA Firewall[/url] | GIANT AntiSpyware

http://www.muckshifter.co.uk/images/snake75.gif

Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over.

Comment

I'm downloading ad-aware - thanks!

Muckshifter, what do you mean?? :unsure:

Comment

spyhear.com ... is spyware.

OFFICIAL SPYWARE BLACKLIST
          Spy Sweeper[/url] | Ad-Aware[/url] | SpywareBlaster[/url] | ZA Firewall[/url] | GIANT AntiSpyware

Comment

It's downloaded and that annoying page hasn't come up again, so touch wood, that's that little one solved.

My next query then is what to download for a virus checker. Mine expired erm, a long, long time ago - I think it was with symantec. It pops up to tell me to ring a number in London to re-activate it (or something like that).

Any suggestions there folks?

I can turn my puter on and off, thats it. I haven't got the foggiest of what other things I'm supposed to do with it. I've had it for about four years and no probs. Although, having said that, earlier tonight it just went blank - literally - black screen. Did ctrl+alt+del but nothing happened, wouldn't switch off at the thingummy bob so had to pull the plug.

Comment

Go get AVG Antivirus its free. Check for any updates after installation.

However, I would suggest re-investing in Norton you would probably be better off buying Norton AV 2003, about £35.

B)

Comment

Oh, I've just been reading it Muckshifter. That's scary .

And thankfully I read that once downloaded you have to run the thingy. Which of course I haven't done yet. I will.

My puters going potty now. When I was reading that link two boxes kept coming up saying run time error at Line something and the other was run time error and something about syntax something...

Argh!

I think I'll take it to the Doctors for a check up.

Comment

oops!

Bring it here, I'll see to it for you and no charge.

Comment

Thanks very much for the other information too Muckshifter.

I'm downloading (and will open up! :lol: ) the AVG anti virus programme.

:flowers: Ta

Comment

Both now installed.

Thanks M & M - aren't you sweets :lol:

(Or some American gangsta rapper? :blink: )

Comment

Originally posted by muckshifter@Jul 20 2003, 11:43 PM

oops!

Bring it here, I'll see to it for you and no charge.*
                        Ooooh, where are you? :lol:

Just to let you know, :cry: , it has popped up again... wasn't ad-ware supposed to stop it?

I'll have to try Matthew's complicated advice now.

Who said computers were good?

Comment

Matthew, all it says in the RunOnce thing, on the right hand box is:

(ab) (Default) (value not set)

(ab) Default "Q:\Setup\autoplay.exe"

That's it.

Comment

Doh!*

I suppose it helps to run the ad-aware after you've installed it? Tee hee

It has run its course and quarantined 123 documents, a process thing, a file and some register keys (?). 92 of the quarantined documents were tracking cookies; other things came from: Windows; Bonzi Buddy (what's that?!); Twisted Humor (yeah, right); Alexa; Advert Bar; Brilliant Digital; the file ends in @cgi-bin[1].txt

So, wahey, after all that hopefully my query has been fully resolved.

What a marvellous learning process. Thanks to all who took part. :lol:

Comment

I suppose it helps to run the ad-aware after you've installed it? Tee hee
                              :hihi: :blink: :hihi:

holly ... been there, seen it, done it ....

The 'record' in my workshop was 298. :huh:

Don't worry what they were as long as Ad-aware got rid of 'em. Run it before you shutdown your system every night, it will still surprise you when you get some odd tracking cookie here and there again, don't worry about deleting them.

We never stop learning.

Oh, and its Cardiff, South Wales ... Free service to ALL NFH members.

Mucks. B)

Comment

Working...
                              X