This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Weird Email

Today I got an email that seemed to be a response from an email sent from my account. However the name of the account holder was Nicola and that's not my name. Also I have no idea who the respondee is, he has a New Zealand address.

I contacted my ISP and they say it did not originate in their system and they gave me a list of tools to find out the ISP of 'the culprit'. I have no idea how to use these tools. But could somebody send an email from my address without me knowing it? Of course it seems very strange that the respondee seemed to know who was sending him/her the email when I've no idea who he/she is. I'm using Outlook Express.

Anybody got any advice for a techno-illiterate, please?

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Misty,

If you can send it to me using your e-mail prog, I can have a look for you......As your using Outlook Express here, you need to send the 'header' information of the e-mail to me too to see where it's *really* come from.

Often, it will look like it's come from you, but a spammer, to hide their identity can fake an e-mail to make it look like it's come from yourself.

To get the header info, go into File (from the e-mail in question), then Properties. Click the 'tab' called 'Details' and then the button named 'Message Source' - copy and paste everything in there (that window box) and forward to me if possible in a new e-mail, we can then do an IP look up etc and see where it's possibly come from and so on.

Unlikely it really did originate from you, but some virus/trojan like programs that get into your system can e-mail behind your back and silently, but it's unlikely you'd find this out until someone alerts you (by replying) etc.

Prob nothing to worry about though

Comment

Thanks Matthew,

I deleted it but I copied all the relevant info out first and sent it to my ISP. They weren't much help.

I'll send it to you so you can have a look at it.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

*GREETINGS*

HI MISTY,Had a similar problem myself shortly before i joined this forum.

Someone managed to get hold of my details(sounds painfull) and send

162 e.mails around the world to various people,I only found out about

this problem when i tried to access the internet one night and found i could

not get on it.

A quick call to my isp sorted it.

You need to get youself a firewall or some other form of anti hacking device.

You could ask Muckshifter for advice,he is well up on this subject.

Comment

Working...
        X