This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip Off

Landlord received 2 letters saying he had definitely won one of many prizes, top being like 10,000 quid or something. In amongst DVD players, hifi components etc was a holiday. It seems to be a new scam involving a long telephone call at about 1.50 a minute where you finally find out you won the holiday. You have to pay to get there, and self-cater. It was all very convincing, twice.

Latest thing is a message on my mobile saying I had won 400, guaranteed. Calls are 10p a min to an 8 minute phone call. They give you an address and a claim number and you just send a SAE - and tada, 400 quid. I listened very carefully for any possible rip off scenario - i`ll let you know how it turns out. I know if they fail to pay me I`ll be on them like a nightmare.

Latest thing is a message on my mobile saying I had won 400, guaranteed.[/b]
    Never NEVER reply to these messages ... they are indeed a scam.

At best it cost you 10p min and you get NOTHING.

At worse they've 'cloned your phone' and if you're on contract you won't see the £10,000 bill till the end of the month.

I know if they fail to pay me I’ll be on them like a nightmare.[/b]
    You'll never find them.

I'm with Vodafone and they are at last trying to 'block' these messages.

If anybody gets these 'messages' please, please PLEASE just delete them.

Mucks.
    Spy Sweeper[/url] | Ad-Aware[/url] | SpywareBlaster[/url] | ZA Firewall[/url] | GIANT AntiSpyware

http://www.muckshifter.co.uk/images/snake75.gif

Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'll take over.

Comment

That`s pretty scary - usually I`m wise to scams and such, but this was the most sincere thing I`d ever heard. Live and learn though.

Comment

There's a lot of these about, and if you put your glasses on & read the prize lists, there are a few or one of the nice-sounding prizes (hi-fi, TV, £10,000 cash etc) and THOUSANDS of holidays. Not all of the scams make you pay for flights. But most seem to be on the basis of 2 people sharing, and the dates aren't mentioned.

My ex-wife won a holiday once, and we went to Italy. Had to pay for me, and to upgrade her holiday to a peak period but it still worked out good value. But that was 20-odd years ago, so I think that was a genuine promotional offer not one of the new trendy scams.

Oh, recently got taken in by a timeshare promotion (they said 'It's not a Time-share' so if anyone tells you that, it means 'It's the same old time-share scam again.') The offer of a free holday seemed tempting, but as well as airport taxes, insurance, etc, there was a 'registration fee' of about £45 per person.

As Ed Doolan says, "If it seems too good to be true, it IS too good to be true!"
        "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

none of these messages are genuine they are all spam and scams and i would advise everyone to not even open the message in case it viruses your phone or pc and ends up with you getting a massive bill for something you know nothing about.
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

ohh..i have got loads of those messages...never reply ..coz i'm cynical and say "yeah right b****x" ..i just thought it was phone number scam ..and you get nothing...no idea it had something to do with the cloning malarcy.

I'm safe as company mobile so i don't even see a bill...but still!...something good to know. dankershaine.

Comment

Working...
            X