This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarettes(or Fags)

earlier this evening i went down to my localish Sainsburys store to buy a few items

and some ciggys for meself.

Shock-horror.They have increased the price of them again.Where i live fags were

£4.44.Now they are £4.65.

Why were we not informed of this increase,is this legal.

What will the government do if they manage to stop everyone in this country from

smoking.A big loss of revenue for them then.

I am now going to upset someone on this forum by saying I HATE BLAIR.

I hate Blair too

I don't care what anybody says, nicotine is addictive and cigarette smokers are easy prey for the tax-man. No wonder cigarette smuggling is such a lucrative enterprise! By putting up the price the chancellor is driving people into the hands of smugglers and depriving the country of much needed revenue at the same time. I don't mind paying tax on my cigarettes but I do object to AMOUNT of tax.

As to Sainsbury's raising the price, it's possible they had stock left from before the last tax increase and so were still selling them at pre-increase prices. I think unless the chancellor says prices will rise from a certain date then shops are allowed to sell off any stock they have at pre-increase prices.

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Easy targets for revenue -raising, to fund the NHS which could soon exclude us from treatment for "smoking-related" diseases !

Sapph

Comment

I reckon £4.44's a diabolical rip-off. So an increase on that must be a very diabolical rip-off, which sounds pretty clumsy I'm afraid.

It isn't just the money with fags. Ever try quitting. I did about 4 months ago, but I tend to have a few when I'm on my weekly sesh down the pub. 2-3 a week instead of 20-30 a day. The grief those sticks have given me! The cravings! Arrrgh, I could eat one.

Trouble is, not fighting the addiction can lead to all sorts of horrid stuff, ... heart, lung probs, leg amputations, and for what?

bl**dy 'orrible things. By Gor, I'd love one right now.

Comment

Working...
        X