This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling House V. Stressful

This is my first time selling, its taken 9 weeks so far, still no exchange or estimated completion date - is this right? My agent witters about "normal house sale cycle" and my solicitor is getting p****d off with my calls to find out what the heck is going on.

I have a job offer and they want to know when i can start work, I cannot give them a date as i don't know when I'm moving, don't want to lose the offer as its a lifeline to me. My agent says he will speak to the buyers to update them and see if it can be progressed, but says it is a delicate negotiation and we cannot afford to upset the buyer.

Am very frustrated and depressed - this is the worst about selling/buying houses.

9 weeks seems a little excessive. Is your Buyer part of a chain? If so, then it may be their sale holding it up. It's not uncommon for someone not to mention they've lost their own buyer (seen it loads of times) as this obviously puts them in a bad position of possibly losing the house they want.

As for your solicitor getting pi**ed off, then shame on them. You are paying them to act for you so you have every right to phone them for updates. You are not allowed to go directly to your Buyer's solicitor to find out what's going on so don't feel bad about phoning.

I would phone your solicitor again and ask for specific confirmation as to why your sale is taking so long as you need to be able to gives dates for your job etc. From your post it sounds like you have absolutely no idea what is going and you have every right to know.

I would ask your estate agent outright if your Buyer has lost their own sale (if they have one). He can't lie to you (officially) but they do withhold the truth as he doesn't want you going elsewhere and losing his commission. He would want you to think everything is progressing, albeit slowly.

Comment

We used to think what could possibly be holding up the process and putting us through this agony. One point would be resolved only for another to take it's place. Our hiccups have nearly all come from bad surveys - on all sides, people selling, people buying our house, further down the chain etc.

People not used to buying and seeing a surveryors report and being so frightened they think the house is falling apart. Many times a surveyor will recommend an electrical survery, they have to contacted and brought round. We had a surveyor at the last house that wanted flood checks, as there was a brook at the very end of a very long garden. Trouble is the cottage was on a bank - if the water had ever got that high it would be the eighth wonder of the world.

Sometimes remedial work has to be done on houses further down the chain. All takes time.

We've also found the banks don't move themselves, and if buyers and sellers are moving jobs as well as houses, it only complicates things further. Our experience has always been the estate agent would chase things and let us know what was happening, the solicitor ditto - and the banks just did things in their own sweet time.

Delays are terrible, I can sympathise, your whole life is on hold, all your hopes are on getting that phone call with a completion date so you can pick up, move on (menatlly as well as physically) and get on with your life afresh - and when you're waiting waiting waiting for god knows what in the whole sorry process - it gets your nerves a' janglin'.

Hope you get a positive phone call soon.

Comment

Am in a chain of 3 - FTB, my buyer, and me (no upward chain).

The FTB side is all sorted. My buyer's solicitor only instigated the searches 6 weeks into the buying process, and even then one after another, not all at once (as normal) - if they had done this, I would have exchanged last friday.

My estate agent is ok, but recommends no deadline (ok, can understand this it might cause friction) and will speak to the buyers today to see if they can move their solicitor. He also recommends I get my solicitor to call their side to do the same, to bring it to their attention. so will do this.

They say, it is the most stressful event bar death/divorce. Add to this the pressure of a new job (yippee but stressful) and an NFH due back from holiday this friday, you can imagine what i'm going thru?

is delicate balance, want to get out but don't want to lose sale.

Comment

For things to havr got this far and you are still not near to exchange would indicate to me there is something going on in the chain. do you know how long your chain is? get your agent to find out, often if one party starts a fuss about why things are taking so long and starts threatening to pull out, things start moving. i am ssuming all the local searches and all that are back in as sometimes these take six weeks (thery arent supposed to but they do).

On top of all this this is a buyers market (i dont know if it has spread to where you are yet, but definitely the case down here) and so you could exert some pressure by saying ' if it takes much longer, ill have to reduce my offer, ive seen similar houses now on the market at less money, blag blag'

use the agents a bit more, they are good at getting information, and saves you all the phoning up.

you need the patience of a saint when selling a house!!!! not easy when you are desperate to escape a NFH
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Just seen your post.

you have a tiny chain!!you lucky thing!!! right for sure you should be putting your foot down.

i knew it would be the local searches!!! i think you are reasonable in asking for a deadline, you are in the middle of the chain and have the most power.

tell the agent when you would like to exchange by, also put it in writing to your solicitor, or else you will be forced to reconsider your position....no harm will be done and it might shcok them into a bit of action.

unfortunately, if you keep quiet and say nowt, they will just process you as and when they get round to you, what you want is for them to think 'this person is getting to be a pain, id better get them sorted out so i dont have them naggin me all the time'

go for it!!!!
            http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Annabel, I'm at the end of the chain, the problem is with my buyer's solicitor.

I checked with the local authority planning office friday. The girl said she had received the request for search and the buyer's solicitor should have these today. Note that I had to do all the chasing, my agent and solicitor cannot be bothered or have the IQ to do this.

So, my buyer's solicitor now have 3 searches they requested as of today, but knowing them, they'll have a list of questions that will take another week to formulate, and as usual I'll respond immediately, followed by another week of prevaricating over the responses. All the time, my prospective employer is waiting for a response from me....

its very frustrating - to them it might not be urgent, but as spinky pointed out, my whole life is on hold until this is sorted.

will be out of the property market for some time cos do not think i want this hassle again soon.

Comment

Our purchase took eight weeks, but we agreed with our Solicitor that we wanted completion within two weeks. We needed to move quickly!

Just keep on at them gordy - I think horsefans has a phrase for situations like this, but I can't remember it exactly. Something like being like a dog with a burst ball.

Comment

You definitely have to keep on at them, and it's no surprise you had to do the chasing. Searches - our solicitor always got those sent off to begin with as in peak times it can take longer.

We will always use a solicitor as near as possible in future so we can go in and sign papers rather than wait for the post back and to which can delay matters. Such a lot to sign and then getting witnesses to the signatures.

Your d*** right about the hassle of selling, I'm dreading all what you're going through now.

Comment

Oh god spinky, hadn't even thought of that - my buyers are in the Midlands, yet their solictors are in Southampton thats probably added another week to things am v. depressed now. My solicitors are about 3 miles away, so can pop in to sign at any time.

Looks like i won't be out of here for another 3 weeks at LEAST that means more costs, putting off the job, feel like crying now.

Comment

Gordy, please don't despair at the situation.

If your buyers are keen, then they should be chasing their Solicitors as well. Why on earth have they got Solicitors so far away?

Have you heard from somewhere that it will take 3 weeks? Who said? Why that long?

Is it going to be OK putting the job off? Are they OK about it? I know it is awkward, but you are going to have to look at it in a positive way. Have you done all your packing? If not, see this as some extra time to do it. Where will you be moving to? Spend this extra time finding out more about the area you're going to (in terms of leisure etc.).

Comment

Gordy, don't get upset. 3 weeks isn't that long and look what you have to look forward to? New house, new job. Fantastic.

Moving is stressful but you can take the time you have now to make it as easy as possible. Get all the non-essential stuff you want to take packed away and all the stuff you don't want thrown out. Good time to start moving any plants as well to get them acclimatised gradually instead of shocked from one garden to another.

I actually enjoyed my move into my house. I went from rented to bought so I did have quite a bit of furniture. My house was a state though so I spent 2 months living out of my mum's garage. The people who had my house literally only moved to a 3 bed over the road (they're still there) and took the completion deadline quite seriously. The money went through at midday and I was told I could pick the keys up from the house (??!). Got there to this terrifying pile of furniture that they'd hauled out of the house and dumped on the front lawn ready to be manhandled over the road. So far as they were concerned they had "vacated the premises". They were a bit peeved when I told them I wasn't even moving in.

I am sure your sale will go through in the end. When you think about it, getting a chain (even a small one) to line up to all move on time is pretty much a miracle. It'll get there in the end and you'll still have most of the summer left to enjoy your new garden.

Jeannie

Comment

I am counting 3 weeks from today, due to:

1) the solicitors must have received the last of the searches today. this means they will have a bunch of questions to ask (as per the others, meaningless little ones that i answered in the property seller form) and will take a week to get these to me.

2) I will respond same day, either by fax or recorded post which they will receive friday/sat

3) The buyers will need to see the responses, arrange a time to visit to sign (unlikely if they're in southampton) or wait for the contracts to reach them ready for signature. I will literally pop into my local friendly solicitors to sign as and when required immediately.

4) if i'm really lucky, i'll get to exchange end of NEXT week, with completion week after.

they chose the solicitors due to a family connection (dumb, but understandable if they want to cut costs)

I will speak to my new boss tomorrow and explain the situation. perhaps he'll let me work from home first week, i'll beg. cannot commence with packing fully, as if the sale does not go thru, need all furniture out and off again from the start.

not called the most stressful life event for nothing

Comment

Think of the van pulling up and you leaving the NFH behind, no more stomach churning, no more anger, no more frustration- should make you feel a lot better.

Nearly there, nearly there... looks like it's all going through and there's no long chain - phew that's worth a lot!!!!!

Our solicitor was in Bingley in Yorkshire - and we're in the midlands, we used him a few times as we got friendly with him and knew he would be on the case. He did quick turn arounds of papers and rang us to keep us informed. Priceless. I advise using the same one if they are any good as you build up a rapport and they will remember you and they like repeat custom!

Also if you need a solicitor quickly for any reason, you don't have to trawl through yellow pages to get someone who doesn't know you and you have no knowledge of how and how they are in the field.

Look another ten minutes has gone already - time is passing, soon be packing the kettle gordy!

Comment

yer, hope so, have got screwdriver at the ready to dismantle house in 24 hours (will treat like challenge, have to do to get fantastic game show prize of new life)!

thanks all, made me see the lighter side of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X