This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police & Newspapers

An item appeared in our local paper a few weeks ago. It was an "event" that took place in the town on a Saturday afternoon when the town was really at it busiest.

Where I live there is across the far side of town quite a large community of travellers, it is a purpose made sight for them. To get to this sight you have to go along a road which is in the middle of a park area and a large Pay and Display car park at the side of that is a large childrens play park. It gets very busy down there esp. at weekends and Saturdays. However about a month ago on a Saturday there was a fight, in the middle of the afternoon on the childrens play park, o.k. people have falling outs but this one was a little different.

According to the local paper they were two young men who were travellers and had a grudge against each other and decided to sort it out in the way of the "Travellers". One i believe was from the sheffield area and the other from essex way i think it said. They had a bare knuckle fist fight on the park with over 1,000 (yes 1,000 travellers who had come up to the area and camped on local fields) to watch the event. Where were the Police? Well they had officers mingling in the crowd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mingling in the crowd - Excuse me but if you or I decided we were going have a fisty cuffs would we have been arrested on the spot. There had been talk of this going on and as it is only a small town the Police were aware of the event.

A picture was shown in the local paper and it was reported also of who had won the event and since, the only action that has been taken is the organisers of the fight have been to court.

I don't know which is worse:

The Police for not taking action to stop this fight.

The council for not taking action to stop it happening on their land.

The paper for what i believe reporting it in such a way.

To me it should not have had a whole page dedicated to it with pictures of the youths involved. Did I say it also reported who had won "the bout"

Just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Travellers are travellers and they have their own ways but i thought we had Law and Order in this country (or something similar) Seems to be not the case. And in final thoughts to the local paper it may just sum up their reporting skills and more so how old fashioned the town is (I may think that way because i was a "townie" up until two years ago) how many other papers of today still use the word GAOLED????

Off my chest, better now.

Maria"

I know what you mean. I suppose the police were thinking that one incident, between themselves. If they stopped it, you would have 1000 or more people looking to cause trouble in a busy area. I know which one I would prefer.

GG.

Comment

I think there are a lot of pro's and con's about this incident.

We live in an age of political correctness and the police have to be very careful about how they handle things when an ethnic minority is involved. I would imagine it would be very difficult to stop all those travellers turning up from all over. Once they'd congregated it might have led to worse things happening if the police had try to break it up.

Mingling seems as good a plan as any. They can judge the mood of the crowd, pick out certain troublemakers and be ready for any riotous behaviour. Unless they have the manpower I doubt there is little the police can do against a 1,000 strong crowd.

I do however agree with you about the newspaper reporting anything other than the fact there was a large crowd gathered to watch a fight. Anything other than that just panders to the wrongdoers.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but are travellers really an ethnic minority? Shouldn't they be a 'cultural minority'?

Bit confused here...

FF
        Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

no one is above the law, whatever their ethnic origin...

perhaps the police thought it best to take a hands off approach in case the 'event' turned into a wholescale riot....
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

FF, "Forgive my ignorance, but are travellers really an ethnic minority" I think the answer to that is "sought of" because the words traveller, Gypsy and Romany tend to be used vaguely and interchangeably, although I feel pretty unsure about this too. Judging from the original posters description of this incident I suspect the police considered it to be a very volatile situation. I'm no apologist for the police, but with 1000 people there to watch the event the police probaly felt that softly softly was the only safe way to respond. It would probaly taken a very large number of police to disperse this crowd if they didn't want to go and there probably would have been rather more than two people fighting if that happened. I think keeping a lid on it and then taking the organisers to court was a sensible response.

Comment

It would probaly taken a very large number of police to disperse this crowd if they didn't want to go and there probably would have been rather more than two people fighting if that happened.

Agreed - we had an incident in our area a while back, where a police officer was beaten to a pulp by a gang of 30 teenagers because he just tried to move them on from the childrens playground they were causing trouble in.

FF
              Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

and as we know, some areas are very thinly policed indeed, especially out of the major cities....(and sometimes therein!)
                http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

There was a case the other week where the local village bonfire consisted of a caravan depicting 'travellers'. Raised a heck of fuss and last I heard the police were investigating.

Some travellers do belong to ethnic minorities, the Romany (or gypsies) for instance. I think others also such as those who used to be called Irish tinkers. Then there's the New Age travellers, they'd be a cultural minority I suppose.

Misty
                  "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

As I read your responses, i can accept that yes it was better to "keep the lid" on such and "event". The Police numbers here are few. We have 37 PC's but in the local paper tonight it was annouced that we are to lose 3 full officers to the City force of our town due to the increase in crime ( our city is about 28 miles away and yet again there has been another shooting there this week and i think two the week before) which only leaves 34 officers of which 20 of them are only probationers.

Having said that the next County Force along from here is able to put up road blocks on certain Bank Holidays to stop the travellers from entering. Just doesn't seem to add up sometimes.

Comment

Bare knuckle fights between travellers is not unkown. There were reports of the same in the 19th century and the police very rarely took action, then, just mingling with the crowds and pulling dips and other crims!

Comment

Working...
                      X