This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mischief Night

The first time I ever heard about Mischief Night was on a programme about Mal Hussein, the shopkeeper who was subjected to years of abuse from yobs and thugs. According to the programme it was something that took place on Novermber 4th.

I've lived in Liverpool all my life and I had NEVER heard of it here. This year the local paper printed a story about how the police were putting 200 extra officers on the streets of Merseyside to combat the yobs and thugs in their Mischief Night mayhem. Apparently here it's on 30th October. I have no idea when this started. You can read the story here if you want to: http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

So two things occur to me. 1) In the dark evenings here EVERY night seems like mischief night! :angry: But I'd let myself be lulled into a false sense of security because it's been fairly quiet just lately.

2) Duh! Isn't this putting ideas in the tiny minds of yobs? They now have a special night for all their vandalism and harassment!!! :rant: They can't even keep to November 5th for fireworks, why do we think they will keep to this 'mischief night' for their vandalism?

As I've told you before I spend most of my time upstairs in the back bedroom because I just get wound up by the noise. Tonight, probably after reading the story in the paper, or being told about it by those who can actually read, the yobs have been causing all sorts of harassment and vandalism here. They've been throwing stones at windows, banging on windows and kicking hell out of our car. Of course hubby knows how wound up I get so he's been keeping quiet about it, but I couldn't help but hear him as he went out yelling and bawling at the ratbags! I told him to call the police but he say's they've gone now so no point.

Grrr, I could give him a good shake!!!!!! :rant: He should have called them when it first happened but he says 'What's the point, the police won't come anyway!'

Well how does he know if he won't call them? :rant: I don't know if any other neighbours have been affected, but I doubt it. We live close to the entrance to the Green so they can harass us and then have a quick getaway if we go out to them.

Now I've got a really bad tension headache. I think it's going to be a long cold, harassment filled winter *sigh* Oh, God! We've still got Bonfire Night to come, all that wood collecting, the mess, the noise, the harassment!

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Hi Misty

I've never heard of "mischief night" either. Hasn't someone just made it up?? And yes, isn't it just like a red rag to a bull type of invitation for people to cause trouble??

I'm slightly surprised that they are putting 200 extra officers on the streets. Where are they coming from? 200 is a lot.

I know that you are not very hopeful for next week and winter, so I'll be praying for some very cold and very wet evenings for you, to keep the thugs at bay. It's been howling, and very cold and wet down here tonight, and guess what, not one trick or treater. I guess it's too much effort when the weather's bad.

'What's the point, the police won't come anyway!'

Well they won't if you don't ask them too. And they may even pleasantly surprise you (you never know!!).

My usual remedy for stress includes a bath, glass of wine and a good video (preferably a comedy). Failing that, some Nurofen, a bath and a cuddle helps too!

Sorry that you're having a bad night, and I really hope that there is improvement over the weekend

Blue Cow

Comment

Thanks Hazelnut and Blue Cow

All quiet now Well as far as I am aware Ooh, I've got a cd player, tv and dvd player in the back bedroom as well as my puter I'm quite self contained. I've also got some lavender oil, I might sprinkle a few drops on my pillow tonight I had some Bach rescue remedy somewhere but I can't find it I'll have to get some more tomorrow *sigh* Took an ibuprofen and headache is all but gone now

I'm quite angry with the Echo, if they hadn't printed something about this 'Mischief Night' the yobs wouldn't know about it. They're bad enough as they are but if they think it's something special it just sends them looney!!

I came across this site a few minutes ago: http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/chakratest.php You can test your chakras

I have underactive root and navel chakras. Well considering I hate this area where I live with a passion it's hardly surprising my root chakra isn't working

Misty

PS, Blue Cow, Halloween is tomorrow (Well today really as it's past midnight)
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

:huh:

Misty, I was in our local Somerfield yesterday. I was astonished to see that they had put a sign up saying they were working with the Met Police to reduce the level of nuisance behaviour. The sign said that from 30 October to 10 November, they will not be selling ANYBODY flour or eggs unless they are buying it as part of a larger grocery shop.

For crying out loud, thats all I can say. :rant: But what is the point of this? if you stop them buying flour and eggs they can just as easily go and buy something else which causes just as much mess... e.g. washing powder, tomatoes etc etc.

and why cant parents control their brats? if i thought my daughter was going round doing this I would whack her backside, however old she was, same as my mother would have done to me if she had caught me doing it. :badmood:

any why cant the police go after the thugs that are chucking bangers around left right and centre instead? :banghead:
        http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Misty

You sounded well stressed! Hope all calmer now!

We found a CD we had not listened to for years - Enigma CDxxx11 or something similar. So calming!

Take care.

John
          "You have to be the change you wish to see in the world"

Comment

Hi Misty I just did that Chakra test, and my root chakra is also underactive, but my crown chakra was even worse!!!

i need to be careful i dont turn into a bitter old crone.... :P

i bet every member of NFHiB will have a problem with their root chakra!!!!!!

'open up yer chakra's mon'....

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

Thanks John, I'll ask my brood to look for that, they're always in music shops buying CD's

Annabel, seems the same sort of things were going on around here as well, re the flour and the eggs. It's almost like telling the young thugs what they're supposed to be doing!

I think a lot of parents have lost control of their kids, especially around here. Complain that you've had eggs smashed all over your windows and they say 'Oh they're just kids playing, you can't stop them playing'. Well excuse me, but trying to remove eggs from glass is no fun. They're not playing, they're being intimidating thugs! If they think this is fun now, what other more sinister fun will they be looking for when they're grow up a bit? I just hope the parents of these yobs will get a taste of their own medicine when their kids are older and another generation goes on the rampage! :rant: But do you know what? I'll probably feel sorry for them and do my best to help them!

I hate unkindness in all its forms and I'd never turn my back on somebody, even the parents of kids who in the past have made my life and the lives of my family misery. I've backed up these people when they've had reason to complain to the HA and I've held no grudges against them for their kids behaviour in the past. That probably makes me seem stupid but it's just the way I am. But if karma is working on them, when is it my turn? :blink:

Misty

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Cow@Oct 31 2003, 12:10 AM

I've never heard of "mischief night" either. Hasn't someone just made it up??
                In Yorkshire, it's quite established, I'm afraid! Seems to be an excuse for 16 year olds to lob eggs though!

Comment

I was watching the lunchtime news on Granada and they had a piece where they'd gone out with the police on the streets of Liverpool last night.

I swear it looked a zombie horror film. Gangs of hooded and ski masked yobs hurling fireworks, eggs, bricks and whatever else came to hand at cars driving past. It's pure anarchy out there with the yobs ruling the streets!

They said there had been over 1,500 calls to the emergency services. I wonder how many other people (like my daft husband) didn't make calls? I'd be calling for curfews but there are lots of good decent young people who going out at night, not to vandalise, but to visit friends etc and I don't see why they should suffer because of yobs! But something has got to be done and done soon. It's getting beyond a joke now.

There were gangs in my younger days but at least they had the decency to fight amonst themselves and leave decent people in peace.

Misty

Comment

its on 4th nov here

we had never heard of it till we moved to yorkshire, the worst one we had was a couple of years ago, a bloke a few doors down had a nice red BMW and the yoofs used shaving foam to play noughts and crosses on his bonnet, shaving foam actually fades the paint work

the next morning there were eggs and flour every where, all down the street, and that daft silly string over all the trees, we were lucky that night, we only had silly string on the car, looked like they had tries to block all the car locks with it. :angry:

Comment

:angry:

and just to have yet another rant, AGAIN i was in somerfield at lunchtime...they are only selling fireworks, 'buy one get one free'

i simply cannot believe it. there was a box with 14 fireworks in it for £6.99, which is cheap enough as it is without giving out a free box on top!!!! :badmood:

i only hope they at least try to ensure they only sell them to 'adults', although the lad i used to live next door was 20 and still let off fireworks for weeks before and after nov 5. :angry:

i am so fed up i am going to write to somerfield, they should make fireworks really really expensive so noone can afford them, and how can they do this when they have just stuck a poster saying they are working with the police to stamp out nuisance behaviour???????????????ooooh , only when it suits their profits eh?

tsk tsk tchhhahhhh :blink: :angry:

rant over. thanks for listening!!! :lol:

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

rant over. thanks for listening!

This is a ranters folder

I feel like I'm back to square one I joined this board on November 16 last year after going through hell over the Bonfire Night period. I was so low I couldn't think straight. The HA worked hard to try and sort out the yobs, I can't fault them really.

But after last night and more of the stone throwing tonight I am now experiencing that stomach churning, headachey, sick feeling again I am DREADING next week. Hubby is working the 2pm-10pm shift and even though my son and daughter will be home it's going to be hell.

All those awful feelings that I thought had subsided to at least bearable levels are now well and truly taking me over again.

Just as I was typing this my sister called me to tell me that her little dog had just died from a heart attack. She thinks it was because of a firework :cry: Ok, he was old and a bit tottery, but he shouldn't have had to go like that :cry: As if I didn't feel bad enough already.

I need to go and get an ibuprofen, thanks for listening

Misty

Comment

Hi Misty

Sorry to hear all this is inducing stress and more stress

Mischief night is indeed well established here in Yorkshire...and seems to go on for days :badmood:

I had to dial 999 on my way home from work tonight, as whilst driving on a busy main road, I nearly ran into another car, whilst swerving in shock as my car was surrounded by exploding fireworks. Some little g*ts threw fireworks at my car, and fell about laughing as I narrowly avoided killing myself. I was in a right state, and was shaking as I rang the police. Nasty. Hope they didn't do it to anyone else, and the police thanked me for ringing, asked if I was OK, and said they'd send someone immediately.

Hope they all get their just desserts. :badmood:

So sorry to hear of your sister's dog She must be absolutely gutted, I'm really sad for her loss.

Sapph

Comment

Blimey Sapph! Glad you're OK though, not a nice experience though!

Comment

sorry to hear about your sisters dog Misty

:sad:

ours wont even go out for a wee now, with the fireworks

you ok sapphy? absolutly shocking, it must of been frightening for you, little @*&%$@@~ :rant: :rant:

I hate this time of year

have you seen the new firework ad? shows a child with a scar on his face, only shown in the eneing though, and IMHO it should of been shown weeks ago :banghead: they will not learn :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                              X