This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashamed

Well, I'm ashamed to be a Geordie after what I've just seen. Came out of the shopping centre next to where I work after lunch and there's 2 lasses, grown women probably in their late 20's early 30's, giving a 3rd (coloured) lass a right load of racial abuse, f'ing and blinding at her, calling her a refugee sc*m, scrounger etc.. everyone was giving them a wide berth, including the security staff from the centre - one of them sailed straight past without blinking an eye..

Now I don't agree one bit with our asylum policies, we're a small country and we've plenty of home problems to deal with without solving the woes of the rest of the world, but this incident was just bang out of order and deeply embarrassing…. What must that lady think of people in the North East if that's the kind of thing she's encountering.

Racism and prejudice is just so innate to some people eh, these two you've described Wiley probably spout this kind of rubbish on a daily basis. Maybe it makes them feel superior to other people who aren't from their background, maybe they do it out of fear or even lack of understanding.....who knows.

I'd have been tempted to ring the police and report a racial hate incident.

:yobs:

Comment

Why do people feel the need to 'attack' those who they just don't like? If I don't like someone I certainly don't go out of my way to seek them out and 'give them a good going over' ... I would rather ignore them.

I know its a cliche, but

"Why can't we all just get along?"

FF
      Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

The thing about racism is that people who are racist see a whole group of people and make assumptions about them, usually negative. They don't see individuals.

And ironically what you said about being ashamed to be a Geordie is a kind of example. Why should you be judged because of the behaviour of somebody who lives in the same area as you and speaks with an accent like yours?

Did you step in or say anything? It's possible that there was more to the incident than meets the eye but there is absolutely no excuse for verbally abusing and intimidating somebody in public.

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I think that "vulnerable" and "target" are two words that collide when a bully gets a gleam in their eye. And the behaviour you witnessed Wil-E was just that. Bullying behaviour calculated to strike at someone these people perceived as being unable to stand up for themself. Shame the security staff didn't ask them to curb their language/behaviour as they were causing a disturbance and being offensive. It's blatantly racist abuse, and clearly illegal. Shame that she had to encounter the abuse, and a shame no one defended her.

However, as Misty points out, it doesn't cast a cloud on EVERYONE in the north-east.

And if we were all a little more tolerant and informed in general on the asylum issue, maybe these people would not feel so justified in their abuse.

Sapph

Comment

you are a geordie....be proud of who you are

sensible folk will not tar you with the same brush as those thugs

you have shown you have a social consience by telling us how embarrassed you were. B)

Comment

There is also no logic in them, either, these racists.

Back in the mid-1980s several of us were travelling by train from Scotland back home to Brum.

A group of Irishmen got on the train. One of them -a youngish chap- began singing Irish Nationalist songs. He then draped an Irish tricolor flag in the carriage.

What he did next really shocked me. He began roundly abusing in the vilest, most raicst terms, a British Asian family, advising them that they should "**** off back to where they had come from!"

He really could not see the irony. Here was he, a guest in Britain, being racist to a family who had as much right to be in Britain as he did.

Eventually one of his friends -somehow- managed to shut him up.

Thinking about him now, I know very well that he is probably someone's NFH in Belfast, Dublin, London, Cardiff, or wherever else he lives.

Comment

Working...
              X