This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done any serious research

If not, I wonder if it might be worthwhile seeing if a university could be encouraged to set up a research programme into the NFH phenomena?

Why do they do it? How can they be stopped? And so on.

I wonder if one of the TV programmes that make a good income out of featuring NFH problems would be interesting in funding this research? Even just one MA or PhD student would be a start.

I cant help thinking that NFH have been created from dysfunctional family life, the breakdown in the family unit,all stemming from the 60s/70s... the loss of the 'community spirit', the 'me me me' attitude which IMO was started during the 'Thatcher years'. also people are far more materialistic these days so they become more possessive of their property and homes and therefore react aggressively when they feel it is threatened (rightly or wrongly).

also people's houses are worth a lot more than ever so this gives them a feeling of wealth and possible superiority over their neighbours. whereas people in 'social housing' seem to more and more think that the world owes them a living and they are entitled to their 'rights'. the louder you shout, the more you get seems to be their approach to things.

basically the sense of responsibility and decency that people once had has been eroded. and it seems to have gone across all levels of society and all age groups.

those are my theories anyway!!!!

http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

I agree. IMO this all started from about 1980 onwards. Yes, I know there were NFH before then. We lived next door to a real Barmpot of a neighbour in the mid 1960s. I felt sorry for her husband. He was a nice man. Pity about her, though! :lol:

Comment

this is an interesting thread!

two points i would like to make.

firstly, i know two people who are religious and go to church regularly. they believe in god etc etc. For some reason, I cannot fathom, both of them (they dont know each other) are very jealous and insecure people. they both use their religion to justify anything that happens in society or to themselves by saying 'its gods will'.

both of them have in one way or another had to face challenges in their lives, as we all do. they feel, that because what happens to them is preordained, that they must just accept their lot in life, even if it makes them unhappy.

I cant help thinking this is a waste of life. and it allows them to justify their own bad behaviour and decisions and the effect this has had on their families and friends. i am not religious, so i wonder if it is something about the church going process that develops this way of thinking???

secondly, back to the NFH, a lot of us started off being 'friends' with our neighbours. i dont know about anyone else, but i can count my very best friends on one hand. i think people have to be very careful who they call friends, i would say most of the people we might call friends are really only acquaintances...sorry if that sounds cynical and untrusting!

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

For anybody to claim to be a Christian but to be NFH is, surely the height of hypocriscy! Christ said the two greatest commandments were 'Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart...' and 'Love thy neighbour as thyself'. So logically, a 'Christian NFH' must hate him/herself

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

:huh:

i think they do hate themselves, Misty, deep down inside. otherwise why else would they do the things they do? anyone who was happy with themselves wouldnt have time or inclination for the kind of crud that they dish out to us.

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

Some NFH are gullible.

They will ignore something good they hear about someone. "That Mrs Jones from No. 32, she is such a nice person. She helped out when I had a bad back" is met with: "That's nice, dear."

But: "That Mrs Jones at No 2, she is such an evil person!" is met with: "Oh, do tell me more!"

They, as Janee said, only seem able to relate to negative and not positive things.

Comment

our one nfh is

Paranoid: Moderate

Schizoid: Low

Schizotypal: High

Antisocial: High

Borderline: Low

Histrionic: Very High

Narcissistic: Very High

Avoidant: Low

Dependent: Moderate

Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

rough n ready, but VERY sharp!

Comment

Whilst this is "only a bit of fun" I think that we can see a pattern, here! Quite clearly if they were normal (like what we are! ) then they'd behave better towards their fellow human beings! :lol:

Comment

Rockbank reckons his NFH has borderline personality disorder

I'd just like to qualify that. I originally thought my NFH had BPD but thanks to this site and Janee's refererences to BullyOnline, I'm convinced it is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. They are similar though.

Its often been raised here why our respective NFHs act the way they do. What we found hard to do was rationalize it.

However once you have the measure of your NFHs "problem" its very empowering. I think that there are enough similar traits shown here by the NFHs behaviour that I am planning on writing an article about how to deal with them.

We have all the links about mediation etc which a true 100% NFH will always refuse to attend.

That's why I'll probably call it "Beyond Mediation"

RB
                    Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

That's a clever test. I filled it out for my NFH on the basis of what I think my NFH would say. Remember being a narcissist, they think everyone in the world behaves like them but that they are never wrong so I notice that they have a lot of check questions to counter this.

Came out very high on narcissistic and histrionic.
                      Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Comment

Hmm. Interesting point about medition:

The true nfh, as RB says, probably will not want to go to mediation. Why? Two possible reasons:-

1) "I am in the wrong. And I know it. So I don't need any blanking mediatior to tell me this!"

2) "How can I be in the wrong? I am so perfect that I dare not point my bare buttocks at anyone as the light emiting therefrom would likely blind them!"

Comment

Here is male nfh No. 1:-

Paranoid: High

Schizoid: Moderate

Schizotypal: High

Antisocial: High

Borderline: Low

Histrionic: High

Narcissistic: Very High

Avoidant: Moderate

Dependent: Moderate

Obsessive-Compulsive:

Oh, great!

Comment

Hi Janee

Really, they are too stupid for mediation.

I also think that mediation wouldn't work in your situation because of the duplicity that they have shown. How can you agree terms through mediation if you know full well that the other party is going to renege on any agreement the first moment that they feel there may be some kick-back for them.

Stupid they may well be, fickle and disloyal they certainly are.

As you say, their personal lives do speak volumes, as does the trail of broken, dispirited people that they leave behind.

Blue Cow

Comment

THanks folks.

I'm working on the article at present but I think Janee has hit the nail on the head.

My NFH create 'arguments' which they want to 'win' and be seen as 'winning', and they other side must 'lose' - that's all the understand about human interaction.

So what's the plan?

Comment

Working...
                              X