X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which house to choose?

Hey all,

Well, we have nearly sold our house now, so are looking for something nice and quiet to move into. I was wondering what your thoughts are on what sort of property to go for.

Obviously we have a few basic requirements with numbers of bedrooms, garage, garden etc, but the problem for me boils down to one thing. Should we go for a newer house (3-5 years old) which would have most mod-cons as standard and require little doing to it (but at the expense of plot size) OR buy an older property (30-40 years old) which has a bit more space, with the possibility of adding a 2 story extension (but which would require new kitchen/bathroom/central heating etc)

What do you think?

FF
    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Not an easy choice FF. personally I wouldn't look an this as and old v. new decision. I've lived in both and there's good and bad points in each case. Old houses tend to have more character but can cost more to maintain - new houses are often smaller but make better use of space. I would forget about about old v. new and look at as many house as you can in your price range and go for the one that feels most like a "home". Oh, and don't forget to check out the neighbours B)

Comment

Hi FF

Choice, choices....! I think Eskander has made good points.

The only other thing I would say, is that if the house isn't detached, some newer houses do seem to have paper-thin walls! I'm sure some older ones do too, but worth thinking about!

Of course, if you're seriously interested in somewhere, do ask the vendors if they have had any disputes/problems with the neighbours Although all must be revealed on the SPIF

Best of luck with the choosing

Sapph

Comment

Hi FF

I would agree with Eskander on this one. Take a look at as many houses as you can that fall within your criteria/price range and you'll soon come to the answer yourselves.

When we moved, we went eventually went for a house that was about 25 years old. It needed (and still does) a heck of a lot of work doing to it, (and yes, we need to completely replace the heating etc when we can afford to), but in all other respects it was perfect, i.e. detached / not on a main road / large rooms etc and more importantly, not overlooked by anyone and as far away from our NFH as we could go (jobs withstanding).

I'm personally not a big fan of brand new houses, as you never seem to get as much for your money (but that's just me personally).

Good luck with looking. And let us know what you find.........

Blue Cow

Comment

I would look at a whole range of different aged houses

you will just know which one is going to be your home!....it will talk to you!

there are pros and cons for all ages, the most important thing is to find out about neighbours!!! :lol:

good luck

(I dont like new houses as they all are very samey!) :blush:

Comment

I have a wish list for my house .. so I aim to get as much of this as I can for my money

My Ideal House (in no particular order)

1. 4-bed (for family expansion )

2. detached (so no noise through walls)

3. downstairs loo (when you get caught short and someones having a bath!)

4. big kitchen (as I love cooking - would be good to get a table in to eat around so it becomes the family center of the house)

5. seperate dining room (to entertain our guests)

6. garage

7. private back garden overlooking fields (so I can sit on the patio with a cold beer watching the Sun go down over the horizon)

8. quiet area

9. good primary school just up the road for the kids

10. area close to major urban center for cinema/swimming/shopping etc

11. potential to add conservatory at back

12. potential to add extension at back/side

I'm not asking for much - honest

FF
            Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Nothing too posh then FF. Though why you shoud want to extend your backside defeats me

Comment

We've just had an offer on our house !! (we're going to accept it)

So, I'll be doing lots of viewings next week, whittling down the list, then my wife and I will view the ones I like at the weekend - hopefully, she will pick one that she likes out of those ... if not, we'll keep looking!

FF

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Hi FF

Congratulations!!!

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Good luck with the house hunting and let us know what you find.

:thumbs:

Blue Cow

Comment

blimey that was quick!!

you must of done the house doctor thing!!! :lol: :lol:

good luck with your list!

Comment

Thanks all,

I've got 4 properties in mind at the moment

2 detached newish ones on small estates - one is quite large

1 semi which overlooks fields at the back (drool)

1 detached which also overlooks fields - but the view isn't as good

Will view them next week and let you know

FF

P.S. The semi gives most for its price (only £1536 per square meter of floor space compared to the large estate detached at a whopping £2232 per square meter!!) - what sort of problems would I be likely to encounter if we got a semi? I've only had detached houses before.

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

FF....congratulations with the offer, hope all goes really well

Nice to be in a position to seriously look now, eh?

Semis....one problem....shared walls, and garden boundaries. Potential noise problems/boundary issues. Tread with care!

Sapph

Comment

FF - the question is....do any of them have two sheds? B)

Comment

Hmmm .. Two Sheds eh? Just call me Arthur jackson

FF

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

Semi d -

not too bad, but definitely watch out for potential development up to the shared boundary - if the neighbour built, would it affect your enjoyment, sunlight, normal light etc.

Some semi's are just as good as detached - I can't hear a thing for example and we have views from three sides of the house plus our front doors face opposite directions and are such that we never have to see our NFH's at the front - yippeee!!

Be careful of estates - lots of kids running about, or conversely, if you like to have your kids play outside, how this might affect the neighbours etc. They can be claustrophobic places, although much depends on the layout and where abouts in the estate exactly that particular house is positioned. E.g: live on the edge - not too bad. Live deep within - lots of kids running about.

I tend to agree with others though - the house will sing to you : then you'll know it's the one!

Mazza

PS:

Congrats on the offer, you must have a palace already!

Comment

Working...
                              X