This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet Train Areas?

I remember seeing a while back on an Inter City Train that had pulled up at Manchester Piccadilly Station showing posters on some carriage doors (near the end), with something like "Quiet Area Only" etc.

I'm assuming this is a mobile phone, music, noisy people free area?

Any regular train users that know of this or anyone know anything more about it just out of interest?

I went to London the other month and can offer this lovely advice:

the last carriage is for smokers(!) you can also have a drink there (!).

I am also pleased to report Matthew that on the GNER line from (at least) Leeds - London there is a noise free carriage as you mention.

My journey to the big smoke was peaceful (and fantastic) there and back (for more reasons that one!).

Comment

I find it rather sad that specific areas have to be set aside in the first place. Mobile phones are the worst for me - especially people that constantly send text messages but don't have the decency to turn off the incoming message tone. Every few minutes you get beep-beep-beep-beeeeeeeeep-beep, beep-beep-beeeeeeeeeep. Always at the loudest volume . It's such an intrusive noise. It seems that the novelty of having a mobile and someone ringing/texting it just isn't going to wear off for some people.

Comment

I know virgin and GNER do quite carriages.

no mobiles or personal stereos allowed.

last time I went down to south the smokers carriage had been scrapped on midland mainline, but the time before that there was one.

Dont you just hate it when I moblie goes off and the first thing they say is" I am on the train!!"

we know you are on the train!!!!!!!!

Comment

The thing that really made me mad about trains was my train ride from Cornwall back to Yorkshire from holiday, My partner and I don't get to use trains much, first decent holiday for 5 yrs and we don't own a car, and we wanted to take our yorkie with us. The 8 hour journey going was fine we only had to change trains twice but the train taking us home was 30 minutes late. This meant that we had to change trains 4 times, and we had to wait up to 2 hours for each train on the journey home. If that wasn't bad anough, they put us on the cheapest train possible not the standard we had paid for, we could cope with the smoking (we don't smoke) but we had to climb over drunk people to get to seats past a large group of Sheffied supports tanked up shouting abuse at us being a minority (disabled) and trying to beat up any black guy that came through. We could not go to the toilet this meant having to pass them again. They stopped this train before reaching our last stop and the security and police removed them from the train. We had a great holiday though.

Comment

Sadly those quiet carriages are not being policed. Mobile phones; I'M GOING TO SHOUT SO EVERYONE CAN HEAR ME AND THINK I'M SPEAKING TO SOMEONE INTERESTING AND HAVE A FANTASTIC EXCITING LIFE WHEN REALLY I'M A BORING s*d ORGANISING A TV MEAL FOR ONE.

Where's Dom Jolly when you need him. Also the personal stereo brigade. One memorable journey I chose where I sat quite carefully and the last person on the train plonked himself in teh next seating area - and had the poudest noise I've ever heard coming from a personal stereo - the boom boom bass variety of music - which is fine - I have my fair share of it! but this guy might as well have set up a music centre on the table and started MCing. It was ridiculous. The guard and ticket collector said nowt. And no one was going to cross this guy. First chance I got (nearly home) I got my bags and moved as far away as possible.

Worse than that - what about mobile phones in a theatre??????? A lad sitting next to me at a Rich Hall gig kept rining and texting someone on his mobile! Incredible. It obviously wasn't important as he would look the message and grin and make a big thing about texting back.

Comment

Working...
            X