X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scams

Do you guys know about these ??

TELEPHONE SCAM !!

BT confirm that they are aware of the details of the scam and are investigating,

The scam relates to home and/or work phones (including mobiles). The scenario

is:- Your phone rings and you receive a recorded message;

"Congratulations. We are calling to advise you that you have won an all expenses

paid trip to an exotic destination. Please press 9 now to hear further details."

If you press 9, you'll be connected to a premium line that bills in the region of £20

per minute.

If you press 9 and connect, even if you disconnect immediately, the< BR>other end will

stay connected for a minimum of 5 minutes - at a cost to you of £100 - the message lasts

for 11 minutes.

The final part of the call asks you to key in your postcode and house number

(which has other serious considerations) and then, after a wait of a further two minutes,

responds with the message;

"Sorry, you are not one of the lucky winners." and disconnects,

adding a further £260 to your bill!

Unfortunately the calls are originating from outside the U.K. and as such

BT and other providers are relatively powerless to act.

The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to press9.

SHOPPING CENTRE !!

About a month ago a woman was standing by the entrance to a shopping centre in Nottingham, passing out flyers to all the women going in.

The woman had written the flyer herself to tell about an experience she had so that she might warn other women.

The previous day, this woman had finished shopping and went out to her car and discovered that she had a flat tyre. She got the jack out of the boot and began to change the flat. A nice man dressed in a business suit and carrying a briefcase walked up to her and said, "I noticed you're changing a flat tyre, would you like me to take care of it for you?" the woman was grateful for his offer and accepted his help.

They chatted amicably while the man changed the tyre, and then put the flat and jack in the boot, shut it and dusted off his hands. The woman thanked him profusely, and as she was about to get in her car the mn told her he had left his car around the other side of the shopping centre and asked if she would mind giving him lift to his car.

She was a little surprised and asked why his car was the other side. He explained that he had seen an old friend in the centre that he hadn't seen for some time and they'd had a bite to eat and a look around the shops for a while. He got turned round in the shopping centre and came out the wrong exit and now he was running late and his car was round the other side of the centre. The woman hated to tell him no because he had just rescued her from having to change the wheel all by herself, but she felt uneasy, then she remembers seeing the man put his briefcase in her boot before shutting it and before he asked her for a ride to his car.

So she made an excuse and said but she had remembered just one last thing she needed to buy. She said she would only be a few minutes, he could sit down in her car and wait for her, and she would be as quick as she could be. She hurried into the shopping centre and told a security guard what had happened, the guard came out to the car with her, but the man had left, she unlocked the boot, took his locked briefcase to the police station.

The police opened it {ostensibly to look for ID so that they could return it to the man}, what they found was Rope, Duct tape and Knives, when the police checked the tyre, there was nothing wrong with it, the air had simply been let out. Its obvious what the mans intentions were and had carefully thought them out in advance. The woman was blessed to have escaped harm. How much worse could it have been if she had children with her and got them to wait in the car or had a baby in a car seat? This woman told this experience on the flyer she was passing out so that other women could be warned.

Not to sure about the flat tyre one - see the following site

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoa...Brief+Case+Hoax

Comment

No offence intended, but there's a lot of these stories about! "And I know they are true because it happened to someone a friend of mine was talking to!"

A guarenteed genuine one (sadly) is the "Canadian National Lottery" scam. This was emailed to me at work from the Government News Network so IS legit.

If someone (who is probably a real Canadian) calls you, claiming to be from the Canadian National Lottery it IS a scam. They'll try to trick you into sending a "tax" payment so you can claim your prize.

If they do, don't even talk with them, just put the phone down. As it happens there is not even A Canadian National Lottery... :blink:

Please do tell your older relations. The vermin are targetting older people :sad:

Comment

....I am receiving text messages at the moment on my mobile

they ask me to go to my voice mail and give me a number to dail, but its not the number of my orange mail

has anyone else had this?

no I havent been daft enough to dial it! :P

......off to see if I can find anything on the web

Comment

yep its a scam! oh what a surprise! I am so shocked!

found this site, looks intresting, you can grumble about text messages on it!

grumble text

the text message I had said you have new BPQ voice mail call this number now....

glad I didnt, off to report it somewhere now

cheeky blighters!

Comment

yo vanner! *waves* (we know each other from another forum hehe)

absolutely true..

a work colleague of my husbands was travelling from london to bristol to attend a course for work..

stopped at a service station for a coffee, locked the car yadda yadda

went back to his car, continued his journey.. got to bristol..opened the boot.. EMPTY!

he had his work laptop stolen and all his clothes for the week, and the thieves had re-locked the boot as if it had never been touched!

so for those of us that want to do some christmas shopping, lock it in the car boot then go out to do some more.. beware!

*sigh* the things we have to look out for these days. depressing isn't it?!

Comment

Working...
            X