This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cousin the train conductor

How did he know they were NFH? Because they told him: "We are the blanking NFH and we have just been on the telly. People can't touch us because we are blanking-well famous." They then proved that not only were they NFH but also travellers from hell, too, much ot the horror of passengers and train crew.

Nice.

I think a lot of this current wave of NFH behaviour has been set off by stupid TV producers (yes, YOU, you lurking ninny! :angry playing up to these social inadequates. :badmood:

gawd thats all we need, NFH thinking they are celebrities!
    http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

It was the TV company that made them famous, sadly. Gave them "celeb" status.

Comment

Said it before , will say it again.

Giving these people celebrity status!!!

No much wonder this country is going to the dogs!!

If things carryon the way they are the EU will tke us to court for having the temerity to call ourselves "great" Britain.

Grumpy

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

You could be right, Horsefans.

Comment

the cult of celebrity in this country is ridiculous, i couldnt believe it when i heard that the major who was found guilty on deception etc etc on Millionaire is going to be on a celebrity version of 'wife swap', with of all people, that silly ninny, Jade from Big Bro...

there was a time that when you committed a crime you would go away , keep a low profile and repent possible.

nowadays you get an agent, negotiate a book deal and worm your way onto prime time telly.

its about time we stopped letting this happen.

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

It's called dumbing down the population. Dumb populations can't think, that's why education is so bad as well. That way the powers that be can foist all sorts of c**p on us.

In days gone by they would only be celebrities in their own tiny little minds, nowadays the media tells us they're worth knowing about and then if somebody complains they say 'but it's what the people want'. You can't win.

Misty

PS, RIP Mrs.Whitehouse
              "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Education is so bad? Is it? I don't know that it is.

Comment

r u in education neighboured???c'mon spill the beans???

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

No, I am a journalist. But I do have to cover education for my paper. As well as everything else, too.

Comment

Education is so bad? Is it? I don't know that it is.

There has been a series on Channel 4. They took a group of teenagers and put them in a 1950's type environment. They were treated exactly as they would have been in that era at a boarding school. Then they all sat the old GCE O level exams. Although they all received A*s As and B's in their GCSE exams, they failed 90% of the old O Levels.

I know for a fact that English Language O Levels had already been dumbed down from when I was at school because I failed at school and 18 years later I sat it again, after 3 months tuition. It was a doddle! Compared to what we had to learn at school it was so simple and I got an A.

So please don't tell me that education has not been dumbed down. It was interesting to hear they youngsters who had taken part in the programme say that they'd learned more in 3 weeks at the '50's school than they had in two years at today's schools. They also said that discipline was a big part of their being able to learn.

Misty
                      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Another so-called documentary by Channel 4. Channel 4 programmes are suspect because they are designed to be controversial. IMO, that is.

Comment

C'mon,

Only 15 yrs ago it was unheard of in my (relatively middle class area comprehensive city) school for ANYONE (even the Oxford/Camdridge prospects) to do more than 3 A'levels and now you see them all getting A* in 5 A'levels. So don't tell me that a single A'Level is the same now as it was even 10 yrs ago!!

And as for O'Levels, only about three people in my year got an A* and that would have been for only one subject - certainly not all of them!

Mazza

B)

Comment

Five years ago I was covering an open day at a junior school. The children had designed and built their own equipment to demonstrate scientific principles.

I left school in 1973. The junior school children were being taught subjects in science that we did not learn until we were third year or fourth year senior school.

Those children are now doing their exams at 5th and 6th years.

Only 15 yrs ago it was unheard of in my (relatively middle class area comprehensive city) school for ANYONE (even the Oxford/Camdridge prospects) to do more than 3 A'levels and now you see them all getting A* in 5 A'levels. So don't tell me that a single A'Level is the same now as it was even 10 yrs ago!!

So, yes, I would expect those kids to well in exams. Better than pupils of 15 years ago.

Comment

I can't remember where I heard it but somebody said that the level of French that used to be called for in A levels is now not reached until 3 years into a degree course.

Of course some things will be taught now that weren't taught when we were at school, technology has seen to that. But what's the point of introducing stuff if you can't get the basics right? Remember that total immersion method of teaching kids to read? Utter failure, with kids leaving school totally unable to read.

Education has always been a political football and if a government can make it look as though standards are rising by making exams easier, I have no doubt they will do it.

It's easy to debunk a tv series by saying they're designed to be controversial, well educational standards are controversial. But show me the proof that it wasn't what it appeared to be.

Misty

Comment

Working...
                              X