This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Stupid Calls I Have The Solution

Okay so now we have some prank callers on our hands making irrate calls for no apparent reason thinking they will never catch me heres what ya do.

As soon as the caller has withheld his/her number and ended the conversation with you what you do is quickly hang up

Pick the phone up and dial 1471

Wait for the prompt to say the caller withheld their number press 3, wait for her to repeat it and press 3 again, then again. Now you will hear a small tapping noise in the background of the phone. This means your phone is connecting to the switchboard and getting the number that was supposodly withheld and then calls the number that was withheld. Do this for 5 minutes and you can really hog their phone line as no one will be able to call them. Now after that hang up the phone.

Congratulations you have just informed the prank caller that you can call him/her.

Since i did this ive never had a withheld number since.

Gareth Willmer :lol:

Hi Gareth_Willmer and welcome to the forum

Wow, I must try that next time I get a 'funny call'.

Hope you find what you are looking or here. If you have NFH probs you'll get loads of good advice, support and sympathetic hearings here

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Ooh, I'll have to give that a go too - very interesting!!!

Mazza

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gareth

I've never heard of doing that, thanks for sharing it

Hope you find the forum useful and helpful, it's a great place!

:nfh1:

[Moved to General]

Comment

Gareth - also meant to say, have you got a BT Line?

If so, anonymous caller rejection is well worth it for a small fee, it will stop this sort of thing and also any marketing/sales callers you may be getting

Anon numbers that then call simply get a message saying you don't/won't accept anon. calls.

hone:

Comment

Wow, sounds too god to be true!

But can't Nuisance now do YOU for making nuisance calls? Seems a dodgy tactic... f Nuisance is as devious & evil as many NFHs reported on in these pages, that's just what they would do...

I've always liked the idea of the whistle by the phone, and friends use an answerphone to screen calls (say so in their message! "We're either out, or screening our calls. Please speak after the note...")

We've got caller ID, so can ignore calls from numbers we don't like/know. And BT changed our number & put us ex-directory very promptly (but phone enquiries to check the new number isn't being given out! Ours was!)
            "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

Originally posted by poor tom@Aug 24 2003, 1:57 AM

Wow, sounds too god to be true!
              Well, I have to admit I have looked into this further, morals/implications that will make you as bad as an anon. caller aside here for a moment.

I haven't tried it myself I have to say, but it does seem unlikely this will work according to telecom experts.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud Gareth, but have you any definitive proof/info this works? It does seem to be unlikely to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth_Willmer@Aug 23 2003, 12:18 PM

Okay so now we have some prank callers on our hands making irrate calls for no apparent reason thinking they will never catch me heres what ya do.
                Let me get this clear:

So, if we follow your instructions we become prank callers too?

We become people making irate calls for no apparent reason thinking we'll never be caught?

Sorry, no thanks . That's not the way I'd do things.

Follow the correct channels and keep your head held high.

Please, do not stoop as low as the person who is making your life a misery.

Comment

Oooh, I see what you are saying Holly. :huh:

In my case I knew who was doing it and since I've had the caller preference (or whatever it is called) BT service it has stopped, so prob would never need to know that anyway.

I wondered if it would actually work as there are all sorts of great urban myths about stuff you can do with BT lines (like make your own phone ring etc etc)

Mazza

Comment

i got a friend to test this, it dont work unfortunately.

which is a shame.

Comment

wondered if it would actually work as there are all sorts of great urban myths about stuff you can do with BT lines (like make your own phone ring etc etc)

I used to be able to do that Only because I wanted somebody in the next room to think I'd got a call I remember the old buttonA buttonB phones (probably well before your time) and you could make free calls just by clicking the bit the handset rested on. Of course you could only make local calls that way, you'd need the operator to make STD calls. Wow, look how far we've come since those days!!

Misty
                      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

You can still do that, Misty. I just tried it. I don't think it bypasses anything now though, it's just the equivalent of pulse dialling.

There used to be a couple of numbers that would make your phone ring, 731 and 1267. We used to do it when home alone with a phone as well as the usual teenage prank calls. (nothing malicious, just the usual "Mr Wall" and "Lyon in the High Street" ones)

I'm just about old enough to remember Button A/B phones, there is a picture of me in one as a small boy just before they withdrew them.

Comment

Originally posted by bert@Aug 28 2003, 4:17 PM

There used to be a couple of numbers that would make your phone ring, 731 and 1267.
                          Thanks Bert - I remember that, I've been racking my brains trying to think of the number! You used to dial it, hang up and it would ring you back.

I think it was supposed to be the BT Engineer test the line thing or something?!

hone:

Comment

I remember been on a school field trip in 1972, I think, and been absolutely astonished to find a public phone box in a tiny hillside village with a push button A + B phone box!

Comment

hi gareth w, thanks for sharing your valuable info, ive been getting mailicious phone calls for a while now even though my NTL line is not sopose to accept them.

I phoned NTL to see if they could do something about it, but they seem unable to help, so do the police. I really hope this works! and i will soon let you all know when i get my next mailicious call.

Comment

Working...
                              X