This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the police officer was WRONG

What Titch said worried me. Apparently, there was nothing the police officer could do when the NFH made serious allegations and threats against Titch's husband.

It's been a long time since I took a law course as part of my degree, so, I was rusty, I admit, but I knew that there were several offences the NFH had committed.

I did some legal research and managed (eventually! ) to dig out the following:-

Harassment, alarm and distress

Public Order Act 1986, s. 5

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he–

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

-B- displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Fear or provocation of violence

Public Order Act 1986, s. 4

with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful violence by that person or another, or whereby that person is likely to believe that such violence will be used or it is likely that such violence will be provoked.

(2) An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is distributed or displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.

(3) A constable may arrest without warrant anyone he reasonably suspects is committing an offence under this section.

That is clear, I think.

It's a pity some of our police officers seem less than knowledgable of the powers they have at their disposal, powers that could help people like Titch and so many others on this site.

And see excerpts of legislation relating to certain criminal behaviours here

NFHiB Law Index

Sapph

Comment

:huh:

That's very interesting to read, Neighboured. Good that you found it.

I shall mull it over for a bit (brainache at this time of day!) :blink:

Comment

Yes. Middle of the night, again! Thank goodness I have day off tomorrow! :lol:

Comment

Neighboured

Wish I had known this 4 months ago. Am going to print this off!

Thanks.

John
          "You have to be the change you wish to see in the world"

Comment

I've just found this and its very interesting, why haven't all these abusing belligerant degenerates been arrested. I understand it to read that an officer can arrest if he believes an offence has been comitted, even bad or aggresive language, its all an absolute farce then isn't it. We all run round like headless chickens trying to actually catch them in the act and in the mean time these officers just stand back and watch us.

8-X

Comment

I have to say on this score that I agree on the point that some police officers are devoid of doing their jobs correctly and interpreting the law in the just manner.

Many of you will know that when Madhatter was arrested on the night he ripped out our fence one police officer said in the custody suite to the arresting officer "Why did you arreest him you've opened a right can of worms now".

So when I spoke to a Detective Chief Inspector about this he was totally outraged. Okay he admitted that most if not all of his officers hated dealing with neighbour disputes but the fact is that we don't like having to deal with it either and guess what we don't get paid to deal with it unlike them.

Regardless of whatever act or section of law I dug out, I hit brick walls. I even had one police officer say to me "Well you know more about the law than I do perhaps you can tell me what sections we are looking at here". Now I was pretty angry about that given that law is not my bl**dy job, but when dealing with the police and in my encounters with them regarding Madhatter, then it has been the equivalent of pushing glue uphill.

It doesn't say a great deal about the laws in this country and those who supposedly are there in public office to carry them out.

Despite another thirteen violations to the 1997 PFHA that was imposed upon Madhatter we still HAVE NOT had any response back from the police to tell us what they are going to do about it. Clear breaches of harassment and they still do nothing. My opinion of the police right now is at an all time low. Some officers who I have dealt with have been outstanding and sympathetic but for the majority they just don't seem to care.

When I filed my complaint about one officer I had a Sargeant who told me that I should have put a complaint in earlier believe it or not ! Quite honestly there are not stringent enough laws to deal with neighbours and their disputes. Its a no win situation much of the time, but when there is a clear cut case of harassment then they should act. But as I glance through the postings on here, sadly it doesn't reflect that.

Comment

It really isn't good enough, is it? I know disputes between neighbours can be problematic for the police. But didn't they use these weak, pathetic excuses for ignoring cases of so-called "domestic violence?" :badmood:

Comment

Working...
                X