This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• election day

A week today, on 1st May it is election day.

Have you spoken to your local candidates yet about how they are going to help you?

Now is the time to contact the candidates or talk to them when they come canvassing about your problem and ask if they are aware of such problems.

In my opinion local elections are about local issues and lets face it NFH are local issues.

It is up to you how you vote but please vote, I get annoyed when people complain about politics and who's in power at either local or national level, and yet they havent voted.

It you want to complain about who is in power you need to have had the chance to change it first.

Ladies, please don't forget that woman died to get us the vote!!

power to the people and I hope election day will bring you the changes you need.

Ahhh yes, "votes for women, step in time!"

Seriously though, I always think "don't moan about it afterwards if you don't vote!"

Certainly in our area, the guy who's attempting to get in with the Lib Dems is very knowledgeable (and I think actually really does care) about lots of local issues and community-based problems. Yes, he's visited our site and forum too!

I hope he gets in, he was very, very close last time and has been standing a number of years, closing the margin each time.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I always make the effort to vote - never forget what those women put themselves through so we could have the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew@Apr 24 2003, 2:26 PM

Certainly in our area, the guy who's attempting to get in with the Lib Dems is very knowledgeable (and I think actually really does care) about lots of local issues and community-based problems. Yes, he's visited our site and forum too!

I hope he gets in, he was very, very close last time and has been standing a number of years, closing the margin each time.*

Thank you Maryyy Poooopins! (read this in a d**k van dyke accent!!)

Thank fully the rain (it is teeming down in west yorks!) has just put a stop to me delivering his rotten leaflets!

So I am now going to go downstairs and fold more leaflets instead!

what a day off!!

Comment

I always, always vote. You can't whinge about which party got in if you didn't put your X can you?

Although, I have to say that no candidate has ever come round to our new house to talk/ hand in leaflets. They did distribute leaflets at our last owned property (but only Labour and Lib Dems).

I'm going to a new Polling Station this time in a quaint old church, which just happens to be by a nice pub that does curry nights on a Thursday...so I know where I'll be to watch the results!

Comment

Sue I recognise your dilemma, my best friend used to vote for the party his grandmother was heavily involved in. He's always voted for that party, thing is he has leanings towards the other side.

I advised him to vote for the people he believes in and he did last time and will again this time.

Otherwise, it's (similar) to the House of Lords, where people have seats through nothing they've done but because of their birth - which seems very, very, wrong to me. Not quite the same I grant you, but I'm a strong believer in having the courage of your convictions.

Our ward isn't voting this time, so I won't be putting my cross anywhere this year.

Comment

I am a firm believer that local politics should be about local issues and not parties

vote for who you think is going to help your community the most.

general elections are for politics local ones are for people!

my Dad was a councilor for 8 years and a good one, I never saw him as a child because he was always off helping people, and I think thats why he was re elected, because he was true to his word and got things done.

follow your instincts Sue, who is going to help you?

Comment

Sue.

Vote for who you think will do the best job.

Our LA are lib dem run, yet it was the conservatives who took up my case.

I felt obliged to vote conservatives but then after enquiring from a friend who is standing they don't know who you vote at the end of the day only if you voted.

However i am still undecided on where my vote is going i just know i am voting!

Tracy.

Comment

Just got back from the count and I am very happy!

the chap I have been delivering leaflets for finally won the seat!!

very happy at the moment as you can imagine, I know this chap will actually work for the people in the community and is already a supporter of our group!

I also gave out about 18 cards with our web address on...including a nice police man and my MP!!

(ps..the new councillor got in with a majority of 800!!!)

Comment

Thanks Badger,

Now we have new councillors (and orginal councillors) it is a good idea to find out who they are.

your local council web site should have a list of all councilors for you area.

personal I have the LA web site bookmarked and the coucillors e-mails in my address book ready to contact!

also my MPs address.....it just saves time and if you have the information ready you have more incetentive to contact them.....rather than I will write when I found the address!

Comment

Well would you believe it our council still hasn't announced its results.

They are now on their 5th recount.

Surely it can't be that hard to decide from the voters x.

Comment

Hi folks,

We voted yesterday too but maybe slightly different to you lot as not only were we voting for our local councils but also for our MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament) for our local constituency.

Anyway!! The Labour MSP was actually at the polling place as I was there and she stopped me for a chat. We had a fairly decent chat about the NFh issue and she admitted that it was not a very high priority in the issues of the election. Cut a long boring story short she has asked me to come and discuss the matter further asuming she was re-elected ( which apparently she was by the way). She promised to have a look into the site' if she had time' but it was definitely a constructive chat.

Bear in mind this is our MSP!! not 'just'(and I mean this in the greatest respect of course) a local councillor!!

I look forward to pressing the issue home and who knows where it might go!!

HF

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Nice one HF!

hope you dont let her forget her promise!

I managed to grab my MP too, and he has also said he will have a look, I told him it would be to his advantage as part of our advise was to contact MPs and it would help him to get to know some of the problems his electorate might face.

ps most councillors and mPs have email contact forms so it is easier to contact them!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy@May 2 2003, 5:36 PM

Well would you believe it our council still hasn't announced its results.

They are now on their 5th recount.

Surely it can't be that hard to decide from the voters x.
                            Hiya Tracy,

last year we had several re counts.

to start with there were actuallt too many votes! someone had slipped in a couple of fake ballot papers and they had to go through the whole lot to find out which ones were not genuine,

then when that was sorted, the vote was so close they did 2 more recounts.

as far as I know the candidates can ask for three re counts...then it gets complicated...not been through that one yet!!

hope your results come through soon, and I hope they are the ones you want!

Comment

Beth, we had 6 recounts and it ended up the same as last year in the end!

Not what i had hoped for but lets see how they go this time.

I was amazed when i went to vote and i was late 8.30pm that out of a possible 600 people to vote only 99 had done.

Perhaps if people went through some of what we do they would take the time to go and vote and make a difference to the way the Council is run.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                              X