This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OAP dies after hedge dispute

Just seen this on teletext. Have looked to see if I can get any more information, but none available at this stage.

NEWS STORY

OAP DIES AFTER HEDGE DISPUTE

A 74-year-old man is believed to have died from a heart attack following a dispute with a neighbour over the cutting of a hedge.

The pensioner is understood to have got into an argument with another householder in Louth, Lincs, and a scuffle is thought to have ensued.

Lincolnshire Police said a 63-year-old man has been arrested and is being quizzed at Skegness police station.

RECEIVED: 11/05/2003 00:17:55

http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?i...From=I&indent=2

Flippin' hedges!! There's an old saying 'good fences make good neighbours', seems hedges make nfh

I can't really comment other than that because it doesn't make clear who may have been in the wrong. For all we know the 74 year old may have been the aggressor. Whatever happened it's sad that a dispute over a fence can end in a death

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Thanks Holly - I'll add that one to the main site news as I missed it

Comment

The neighbour was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter I see.[/b]

Still doesn't tell us if he was the aggressor though. Remember Tony Martin?

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi again!! Sorry ive not been around for a LONG time.

I found this on www.ananova.com

Man released after hedge dispute death

A 63-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the manslaughter of a pensioner who died following a dispute over a hedge has been released from custody.

The man was held overnight and questioned about the death of a 74-year-old man, after an altercation in Louth, Lincolnshire, on Saturday.

He was released from Skegness police station and bailed to appear again before police in Louth once all witnesses have been spoken to, Lincolnshire police said.

The investigation, which could take several weeks, is seeking to establish if the argument directly contributed to the elderly man's death.

Police have not yet released the man's identity. He is understood to have been cutting bushes at a friend's house several hundred yards from his own home when he was involved in the dispute.

He died after being taken to Louth County Hospital for treatment. A post mortem examination showed that he died of natural causes as a result of heart problems.

Story filed: 17:36 Sunday 11th May 2003
          http://www.nfh.org.uk/images/board_i...die_avatar.jpg

Even if there is a rip in your teddy bear, his love will never fall out.

Comment

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displa...ntentPK=5549019

PENSIONER DIES AFTER HEDGE ROW

10:30 - 12 May 2003

A pensioner has died after collapsing during an argument about a hedge.

Douglas Reed (75), from St Bernard's Avenue, Louth, died at Louth County Hospital at about 2pm on Saturday.

He is believed to have been trimming a hedge for a friend when a dispute started with one of the neighbours and he collapsed.

A post mortem examination was carried out on Saturday evening by Home Office pathologist Guy Rutty, at Lincoln County Hospital, to establish how Mr Reed died.

It was concluded that Mr Reed had died of natural causes as a result of heart problems.

Mr Reed's wife June died several years ago and he had two children.

Lincolnshire Police arrested a 63-year-old local man in connection with the incident.

He was taken to Skegness Police Station for questioning.

He has since been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

So, Mr Reed was trimming a friend's hedge? It wasn't his own neighbour? Yikes

Comment

certainly do not think that you have equal human rights when you are actively and with forethought committing a crime against the human rights of an innocent victim - that is absurd beyone belief.[/b]

I'd think 99% of the law abiding population would agree with you Badger. The other 1% belong to the chattering classes whose hold on reality is flimsy at best. I'm very sceptical about lawyers who make statements like this. What it boils down to is more business and more money for them.

Misty

Comment

I read this today in the Daily Mail and I was quite concerned about it.

I note that the chappy who runs Hedgeline made some fundamental points too.

I wonder if he would come and join our forum ?

Comment

unbelievable!!!

over a hedge as well!!!

exactly agree with your comments on the Tony Martin thing by the way.

Have said it before..

This country is going to the dogs!!

HF

"Take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!"

apologies if you are an "Aliens" fan

Posh Noodle - NOT for the likes of YOU!!

Comment

Yes poor Tony Martin, and what a shame on this country and on our police force too who would not help him at all but we may be giving 24 hour protection to an ex Iraghi, maybe if we put them in prison they might feel safer then, wont have to worry about us householders then, i feel this government has let us down badly so far.

Comment

Sombrueil,

Please keep posts on topic - Ranters Corner is more appropriate for this!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X