This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge threatens to sue neighbour over mast

A CROWN Court judge is threatening to sue his neighbour in a row over plans to erect a 90ft telecommunications mast...

Read the whole of the story at NFH in Britain.

This reminds me of a story I read somewhere that someone had complained to the council because his neighbour had "a large erection in his back garden which was unsightly and dangerous" (nudge, nudge) :innocent:

Comment

Naughty Eskander :innocent:

Comment

:notworthy:

Comment

Looking at the article its amazing how little the judge knows about planning and mobile phone masts.

Judge Richard Price, backed by other affected residents, fears the microwave mast Airwave 02 wants to erect near his Isle of Wight home at Seaview, can cause brain cancer and cot deaths

He may fear it but there is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. All mobile phone masts have to operate within the limits set by European Law and they do this by several orders of magnitude.

"I live very close to the mast. If I get ill because of it and the value of my house goes down, I want to sue the landowner and I want the landowner to know that.

Again, the fact that the value of your property may go down is not recognised as a valid reason for a planning objection. He may get ill, but it won't be because of the mast. If he proves that, it'll be a medical first.

Island biologist Thierry March who is backing the opposition campaign said his research indicated the radiation from such masts could affect the brain, cause cancers and cot deaths.

"He said at 300 metres distance they caused tiredness and headaches and at 100 metres people suffered depression, memory loss, and dizziness with women affected more than men.''

Rod Burman, the man who founded a local electronics company, said Tetra operated on 380 to 400 megahertz and that frequency was more penetrative of human tissue than the cell phone frequency.

Junk science. It always amazes me how people complain about mobile phone masts when the amount of output from the phones themselves far, far exceeds anything that the masts churn out. Ironically, the further away from a mast you are the harder your phone has to work to make the connection so it has to produce a more powerful signal. So as the phones produce far more microwaves than the masts, the safest place, when using your phone, to be is actually right next to a mast.

I'm always stunned when I see parents giving their children mobile phones or handing them to a toddler to play with but complaining about the masts. The phones pose a far, far greater danger.

If they want to prevent the mast being built then they should protest on the basis of its appearance and setting. That will stand a far greater chance of success.
          Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

I don't think it's junk science at all. There are unanswered questions about TETRA, maybe unanswered because nobody knows the answers.

The fact is that microwave pulses CAN affect human tissue. Article here: http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/docs/HylandBSDec02.htm and here's a small piece of that article:

Â*

7. What the Mobile Phone Industry and the various national governmental Regulatory Bodies (such as the NRPB in the UK) dispute is that the very weak, pulsed microwave radiation used in GSM and TETRA exerts any non-thermal biological influences that entail adverse health reactions.Â* Their conviction that, provided the intensity of the radiation complies with the ICNIRP safety guidelines, human exposure to this kind of radiation is innocuous derives, however, firstly, from the erroneous belief that electromagnetic fields should be regarded as toxins to the body - rather than an integral feature of its alive state – and, secondly, from an outdated ‘linear’ mindset that prejudices the conclusion that exposure to weak radiation (below guideline levels) can entail only correspondingly weak effects, and vice versa.Â* The invalidity of the latter is clearly indicated by the existence of the ‘informational’ influences referred to above, which, being contingent on our aliveness, are inherently non-linear effects – i.e. they depend not only on the electromagnetic field to which a subject is exposed, but also on the state of the individual at the time of exposure: any attempt to understand such effects from a purely linear perspective is thus doomed, in that it is unable to address the most discriminating feature of all, namely, the ‘aliveness’ of the system under consideration.

It may be that it cannot be proved conclusively one way or the other, but I think it is better to err on the side of caution.

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Misty.

I've read the article in full. Unfortunately it ends up, as these kind of things often do, as having to prove a negative.

i.e. Can anyone prove conclusively that mobile phone masts don't affect people's health?

The answer, of course, is no. You can never prove a negative. All we can do is take every precaution we can to stay within guidelines, which these do "by many factors of 1000, with the current safety guidelines set by the International Commission for Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) ".

We may as well ban the sale of green apples as can anyone prove that that aren't a greater cancer risk than red apples? Or vice versa?

There is no evidence anywhere to suggest that living near a mobile phone mast poses a risk to health.

Radio waves and radiation have been a factor in our lives for nearly a hundred years, and natural sources before that and there is nothing to suggest that there is any health risk.

Are we at risk from the electromagnetic output of our TVs?

Are we at risk from operating microwave cookers?

I think people have this perception that the masts are emitting some kind of "laser beam" which is either set to stun or kill ow:
              Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Comment

. All we can do is take every precaution we can to stay within guidelines, which these do "by many factors of 1000, with the current safety guidelines set by the International Commission for Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) ".

Within 'guidelines'. Basically, rockbank what that means is that 'we don't know so we'll set a limit'. I'll bet they had guidelines for thalidomide and other drugs that had to be withdrawn because of unacceptable side effects. Why should we think the mobile phone industry is any different from the pharmaceutical industry? When there are huge profits to be made 'guidelines' can be very useful

Misty_still_not_convinced
                "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I'll bet they had guidelines for thalidomide and other drugs that had to be withdrawn because of unacceptable side effects. Why should we think the mobile phone industry is any different from the pharmaceutical industry?

Well, in the case of thalidomide, every test, at the time, that could possibly be done was done. It was only when the drug was tested on the mass of the human population that the side effects were discovered.

As a result the guidelines changed.

But this is the way of everything. We're exposed to a hell of a lot more cosmic rays when we're up in aeroplanes than here on the ground. Will that pose a long term health risk? And now we're hearing about the problems with deep vein thrombosis.

All we can say, and this applies to pretty much anything, is that the evidence and studies to date show that there is no problem with mobile phone mast emissions.

Will anything be proved in the future? None of us know. But there's one 100% safe way to introduce any new technlogy, and that's not to have it at all.

But the world cannot operate and advance on that principle.

So what's the plan?

Comment

I still say we should err on the side of caution. Nobody has yet established a definite link between cigarettes and lung cancer but many people want them banned.

Even the government sponsored Stewart Report in phone masts concluded with:

"....We conclude therefore that it is not possible at present to say that exposure to RF radiation, even at levels below national guidelines, is totally without potential adverse health effects, and that the gaps in knowledge are sufficient to justify a precautionary approach."

Misty

Comment

Unfortunately it ends up, as these kind of things often do, as having to prove a negative.

i.e. Can anyone prove conclusively that mobile phone masts don't affect people's health?

The answer, of course, is no. You can never prove a negative. All we can do is take every precaution we can to stay within guidelines, which these do "by many factors of 1000, with the current safety guidelines set by the International Commission for Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) ".

Even the government sponsored Stewart Report in phone masts concluded with:

"....We conclude therefore that it is not possible at present to say that exposure to RF radiation, even at levels below national guidelines, is totally without potential adverse health effects, and that the gaps in knowledge are sufficient to justify a precautionary approach."

QED!

So what's the plan?

Comment

Btw, [email protected] cartoon :lol:

Misty

Comment

Rockbank,

It's not often I find someone who thinks the same as me on this issue - I don't just mean microwaves, I mean the view that you have to prove a negative, which as you say is impossible. It's the pseudo-science standpoint which is often encouraged by the media which is largely scientifically illiterate. Over the years I have come to the comclusion that it's an arguement that I will never win.

Comment

Working...
                          X