This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family Sin-bin

Sorry I can't find this story online so I'm unable to provide a link. It was in today's edition of the Daily Mail and I'll just give the basics of the story.

Nighmare neighbours are to be placed in a 'sin-bin' housing complex surrounded by a secure fence and forced to behave.

To the dismay of local residents, the £650,000 unit will open near Manchester city centre in January as part of a crackdown on anti-social behaviour

It goes to say it's called the Foundation Project and is modelled on a similar developement in Dundee and it aims to turn FFH into model citizens by March 2005. There private 2 and 3 bedroom maisonettes for each of five families on the programme and it is housed inside secure fencing but the families will be given keys to the gates. It includes accommodation for experts who will be on hand 24/7 to give advice, support and counseling on schooling and parenting skills.

A city coucillor said the unit will not be for the worst behaved families but for those who are most willing and likely to benefit and they will be housed there for around seven months before being reintegrated into the community.

Local people are less than happy about the arrangement.

Well, all I can say is if it works, good luck to them all. At least they're trying

There's a Foundation Project website at : http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odp...sp#P1471_305963 which covers not just this project but a great deal more.

Misty
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Very interesting news, thanks Misty

:yobs:

Comment

If families are willing to participate, I think this is a pretty good idea. I'd like to see it extended to single people and couples as well. People who have already been evicted for ASB have to live somewhere, and I think, after a waiting period, to make sure they ARE committed to giving it a go, people should get a chance at this. Maybe they will make better neighbours next time around.

Good on Manchester and Bolton for having initiative.

Sapph

Comment

Sounds interesting.

I hope that we will get some sort of idea as to its success/failure in the future. I think it should work cos most families like that seem to want a ''nice'' house to live in and to be kept away from external bad influencing factors. If this can be assured, then they should hopefully have a reasonable success rate.

The fact that the families will be willing participants is an indicator that they are prepared to change their ways (at least whilst they're at the complex).

I would not be too worried about living near a complex like this cos at least it will be monitored and at the first sign of trouble, the police will know where to look :lol:

I just wonder if they'll end up going back to their previous ways when they are eventually ''reintroduced'' into the community - eeek .

Comment

Working...
        X