This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly neighbours!

THOUSANDS of residents who say they suffer ill health because of nasty smells from water treatment works have won a pledge from United Utilities that it will ease the stench.

The company will spend £200,000 over the next eight months refurbishing biological filters and extractor fans at its Bromborough treatment works in Wirral.

But the news was greeted with caution by those living close to the works on Dock Road South.

It follows a series of meetings with residents at Wirral Council's area forums.

The treatment plant first began to cause problems three years ago and, since then, residents say it has become worse.

Joe Walsh, of Greylands Road, said: "The plant is lit up like a football pitch all night and the noise is terrible, but that is all secondary to the constant smell. I couldn't begin to describe the smell, it's just disgusting.

"We can't open the windows or sit out in the garden, it keeps us prisoners in our own homes.

"On a hot day, it makes you feel physically sick."

Mr Walsh, who says he has seen the value of his home hit hard by the smell, added: "This investment is a step in the right direction but it should have come sooner and United Utilities should ensure the benefits are felt immediately.

"The problem for us is that the company seems to have no concrete ideas to solve the problem.

"The money is welcome but what we want is a guarantee they will end the smell."

Wirral South MP Ben Chapman said: "These atrocious odours have blighted the lives of many many people.

"This investment is welcome news, although I remain concerned that the work will not be completed until next spring.

"The company's commitment to develop a dialogue with residents through the area forum is another positive development and one which I hope will lead to the operators of the water treatment plant living in harmony with its neighbours."

People living close to works in Meols, Birkenhead and in Liverpool at Sandon Dock, Vauxhall, have also complained about the stench, which in some cases has been blamed for making children ill.

Wirral and Liverpool councils both planned legal action against United Utilities. But the city council lost a test case when a judge ruled that the Environmental Protection Act 1990 could not be used in this way.

A spokesman for United Utilities added: "We are constantly reviewing our operations to further reduce the risk of odours at our Bromborough site.

"The company is committed to being a good neighbour. That is why we are investing £200,000 in new equipment to lessen the odour impact over the next few months.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html
    "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

I wonder which came first: the smelly treatment works or the people?

Still, not nice for anyone to live near something smelly, but I wouldn't have bought a home if I knew that works was there.

Comment

I think the people were there first. I know I've passed the Sandon Dock site and the smell is nauseating I'd hate to live there.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Working...
      X