• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy Adults Stop Kids Playing Outside

Saw this on the morning news.

Any of us getting over enthusiastic?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3127495.stm

FF
    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

so go to the park!!!!

grrrr, if parents had more time for families they could walk down to the park with the kids and they could play there

we have about a million kids playing here at the moment, there is a small park a few streets away :angry: but knowing the parents....ummm.....easier to just scream at the kids from the doorway :badmood:

they are wrecking the trees and bringing rubbish from all over to make "dens"

and they bang and shout and swear, we are talking about 6/7 year olds.

mind you, if you heard the way they get *shouted in* on a night you would see where the swearing comes from

sorry freaky I went off in to a rant there!!

yes kids need to play outside, but not outside me!!! :P

Comment

that report has really annoyed me!!! there are places for kids to play, in their own gardens or down the park!!! it wouldnt be so bad if they played outside their own houses but they blinking well dont, they play outside other people's!!!!! people who dont want their peace and quiet wrecked night after night after s~%%&*g night!!!!!

thats it!!!!

i am going to write to the childrens society!!!

there is a difference between kids who are genuinely deprived and who live in inner city areas where there is no space and ones who live next door to parks, and open spaces and dont use them!!!

how dare they say people are grumpy!!! maybe they would like to come and live on my road for even one week, they would soon be singing a different tune!!

bah :badmood: :angry:

RANT RANT

sorry, lost my cool AGAIN!!!!! ( NOT good in this hot weather!)
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Children's Society's spokesman Tim Linehan said: "Playing outdoors is a fundamental part of everyone's childhood, but that is being threatened by a culture of intolerance towards children's play in public.

Aah, yes, but in times past children were under constant observation by parents and neighbours and there was discipline. If a child did something wrong you can bet your bottom dollar somebody would have seen and reported it to their parents and punishment would ensue. I am all for letting kids play outside but when that 'play' includes vandalism, abuse and unacceptable levels of noise and complaints to parents are met with more abuse and possible violence then I say 'enough is enough'.

The Childrens Society has a vested interest in this. It was interesting that only 15% said they'd been told off by neighbours, hardly a huge number :P 50% said their parents told them off. Why they were told off wasn't made very clear. Any child who hasn't been told off by a parent is either a little saint or has parents who don't care. So that leaves between 35% and 50% (it wasn't made clear) who have never been told off. So I'd say the headline was very misleading and the Childrens Society should be ashamed of itself.

Misty
        "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

NIMBY

:lol:

Comment

I've just seen a piece about this on Channel 5 news.

They're going to have a talk about it in the 7 o'clock news and they're asking people to email, phone or text their views. I might just email them

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Good for you HE

I watched the 7pm news and they were interviewing a mother and her two little girls. They only had a small courtyard to play in and they seemed miffed that a 'no ball games' sign had gone up.

Now forgive me for being 'grumpy', but footballs can smash windows and that's apart from the annoyance of the constant 'thumping'. I was disgusted with the mother who thought it was perfectly alright. Let them play by all means, but kicking footballs in a small courtyard? Would she pay for breakages if her children smashed any windows? Even if she did she won't pay for the anxiety and distress to the victim.

As I said before I have no objection to children playing, but some common sense wouldn't go astray. What most 'grumpy' adults complain about are not children playing but children vandalising, shouting abuse and shrieking in their little high pitched voices :P

Victoria Meldrew

Oops, gave meself away then

Misty

Comment

I was in a ok mood until I read that article. Ok kids playing make a noise. I can accept that, its the damage to my walls and garden that I won't accept. Do the kids parents offer to repair or pay for the damage?.

No of course not , you just get called a kid hater or picked on more.

If a window gets broken when you are out, no one owns up to it, or trys to make your window secure.

On my street they never play football in two's , its always 7-15 of them outside my house because their parents have cars, and not in their gardens.

We have a football field 10 houses along than us, they never used it yet.

Comment

If SOME parents spent MORE time with their kids(accept this can be difficult for single, working parents to juggle), instead of letting them steal cars til 1 a.m. in summer, and letting them have their own tv/dvd/computer/satellite in their bedsit(age 6) in the winter, then maybe there would be more kids occupied in constructive/harmless fun...and less sufferers from kfh :P

Rant over.

Sapph

Comment

In America they have had problems with people playing 'Everquest' (online role=playing game) so much they lose their wives/family/jobs. On the plus side, they do gain level 65 characters who can make 'misty thicket picnics' or cultural armor, and get to the highest level of the planes of power (um .. I didn't use to play .. honest)

FF
                    Howard:"You wanna be careful, before you know it you'll wake up in a bush singing songs about brooms"

Vince:"You don't know anything about me. Do you know anything about me?"

Howard:"I know...of you"

Vince:"Yeah, well, if you knew me you'd know that I don't sing songs about brooms...I sing songs about love...

Lovely lady with the eye

Lovely lady with the eye

You've only got one but it's a good one

Lovely lady with the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye, the eye

coming forward on a string, thats not normal, urgh

Yeah! I'm in a band..."

Comment

all of us should email the childrens society and get our points across.

they have a very handy feedback form on their website.

its these do gooders who are encouraging kids to think they are invincible and can do what they like. at the end of the day adults are in charge!!!! what a shame these precious, hard done by, sensitive, little darlings are getting told off by us wicked adults!! tough! thats life man! when i was a kid i used to get a lot more than a telling off when i stepped out of line!!!

i wish these agencies would concentrate on the really dreadful things that are happening to children .
                      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

did you see two days a go there was a failed snatchinjg of a little girl?

it was in huddersfield, she and her friends were playing in a woodland area.

she mangaed to scream and wriggle free from the snatcher

how old do you think she was?

remember playing out in the woods with her mates??

she was only 6

what can you say? it amazes me

Comment

I just don't understand why some people have kids. There was one family a few doors up from me and the mother just tipped them all out into the street, or left them with a very promiscuous babysitter. The youngest child was quite often found wandering.

One day a woman knocked at my friend's house. She had this same small girl by the hand. She thought my friend was the mother. She was directed to the child's home and she told my friend, she didn't even get a thank you. She'd found the child two roads away!!! I could cite other instances concerning that family and a few other families as well but I'd be here all day

Anybody who could let a 2 year old out in the street to play alone should be prosecuted!! No wonder kids grow up out of control or snatched by paedophiles.

Misty

Comment

I've just been to the Childrens Society website and put in my two pennethworth

Hello,

I heard about your study about 'Grumpy Adults' and I would like to put some points to you.

I am a parent of three grown up children who spent their childhood being bullied by local youngsters.* I live on a council estate and I have no objection to children playing.* However they don't just play, they vandalize, they shout abuse, they use coarse language and they play endless games of football with no regard as to where the ball goes, trampling gardens to retrieve it, causing alarm and distress to old people and sick people alike.

I really do object to your use of the word 'Grumpy'.* Children reading that will feel perfectly justified to 'do their own thing' because you have told them that adults are grumpy killjoys.* It seems that we grumpies have to change, why aren't you encouraging the children to change their attitudes?*

I belong to an online community, www.nfh.org.uk and we have members who have been driven to distraction by out of control youngsters who think they should be allowed to do anything, anywhere and whenever they please.* Maybe you should pay a visit an hear the anguish that has been caused to some people, adults and children alike, by children.

I realise that you are representing children, but how about talking about their responsibilities as well as their rights?* I brought my children up with a sense of right and wrong, of taking responsibility for themselves and their actions.* Unlike some of their contemporaries who were allowed to behave as they liked,they have grown into hard working, responsible adults.

'Grumpy' might sound like a funny, quirky word but it is not.* It demeans adults and opens them to ridicule from children.* Any child who has never been 'told off' by a parent is either a little saint or has parents who don't care.* So when children say their parents are telling them off, instead of calling them grumpy, you should be commending them for caring enough about their children to reprimand them for bad behaviour.

Misty_aka_Grumpy

Comment

wow!!

great email misty!!

you put the point across there!

please let us know if you get a response!!

Comment

Working...
                              X