This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overt Harrassment

Hello there I am new to the forum and I am visiting from Dublin. My downstairs neighbour used to be OK until he married the woman from Hell - she appears a bit disturbed. He used to run a small and quiet business from basement but has changed now to a printing company with bike messengers, trucks, clients who leave their vehicles everywhere, park in our space, and are rude when challenged. He is a pr*t basically, who has removed part of the building foundation and now cracks are appearing in the apartment hallway. His grotty children (more on the way) are offensive and noisy. Door slamming seems like a campaign. Children leave toys, sweet papers, sand on the stairs. She likes to leave the front door to the apartments open - we are in the inner city and the crime rate has shot up (We have had two murders and a rape in the vicinity in he last few months). After having a respray to our car, the wife from hell has consistently dented that side with her car door. My car has been vandalised. Our cat disappeared and was found seven miles away. Neutered females tend not to go far so we assume it was catnapped. My mail gets opened. They won't put their name on the door so we get continual calls for them. They can't understand why we complain apparently. Any ideas on how to tame this bunch. All I want is a quiet life. Hermes

Hi Hermes!

a big welcome to you!

I am sorry to hear you have these people living near you at such closeness, it really can effect your life

are you able to talk to them at all?

are you able to access mediation in Dublin?

If not I would suggest you write to this family and express your concerns, I would certainly out something in about health and saftey, "I know that children will play with toys, but it is becoming dangerous in the hallway/stairs with play items being left around, please can you ensure that the toys are cleared away each day to prevent any accidents"

something like that.

how many live in your block?

are they effecting others who live there?

sorry for the questions!....if you can get support fom others who live near you it helps.

Are you a private tennant or council?

you need to contact who ever owns the building about the cracks, especailly if you ever want to move.

you are being plagued by this family, if you could tell us a bit more about the layout of your home and who owns what we should be able to offer you loads of advice,

you will get the support what ever though!!

keep coming back!

Comment

Hello hermes and welcome to the forum

I'm not really up on Irish housing law so probably can't be of much help. You don't say if you are in rented accommodation or if you own your home. If it is rented perhaps you should contact the landlord about what is happening. I'm sure he/she won't be very pleased to hear that the foundations have been damaged.

If you own your home I think you should probably contact a solicitor. Have you spoken to the police about the damage to your car and your cat disappearing (glad to hear she's back). As for your mail being opened, surely this is a criminal offence! Maybe you should report that to the post office. It's very worrying that your female NFH leaves the front door open, especially as you say that crime has increased dramatically. Perhaps you should find out if you could sue if should anybody gain access to your home because of her wilful behaviour.

Sorry I can't be of much help. One thing you should do is keep a log of everything that happens and if possible get any witnesses to also make statements which you can give to the landlord, solicitor or police.

Good luck, I'm sure others will have more advice to give you

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi hermes the messenger and welcome to the Forum

We do have an NFH in Ireland Section, so please also feel free to use that folder when you return home. The are some useful links in this area as well, so please access them for further information on services in Ireland.

It sounds like your NFH (neighbour from hell) is causing all sorts of nuisance to disturb you, which is a nightmare to live with. There are a number of points you raise which need to be tackled in different ways.

Noise:

You need to start writing everything down, if you haven't done so already. If you go to the main nfh site and click on the resources section, you will find some blank noise nuisance sheets to print off. Any official department you make a complain to will want this sort of evidence in the first instance.

However, you should also have first spoken or written to your nfh telling them how their noise is affecting you and asking them to stop/ tone it down.

Have you been in contact with your nfh at all? If so, what was the response?

Damage:

You say that the nfh has damaged your wife's car and that yours has been vandalised. Was this reported to the Police? Have you got any evidence that it was them who damaged the car? Would it be possible to install a CCTV camera to point over your car?

Your cat:

Just to let you know of other possibilities here. We had a cat once who went to sleep somewhere under a van, the van driver wasn't aware the cat was there. The driver set off and on arrival at their destination the cat crawled out. This does happen .

The other issues such as business use of premises, disrepair in your home and general behaviour of the family can also be looked at, but the advice will depend on what type of housing you are in. Do you own or rent? If you rent, is from a private landlord, Housing Association (HA), or local authority (LA)? Do you know anything about the nfh's housing situation?

I know it seems like I've asked a lot of questions , but it does help to get a clearer picture and to be able to offer further advice. If you don't want to answer, that's completely up to you, there's no pressure on this Forum to give information you don't feel comfortable about.

Welcome again!

Comment

I just wanted to add my words of welcome...perhaps if you also chatted generally to other neighbours in your block to canvass their views, maybe they are experiencing the same problems. do you have a residents association at all? this could be a chance to start one up.

the door issue is quite important as it affects everyone's safety, how about putting a big sign up on the door to remind everyone to keep it closed. the NFH's dont need to know you put it up...maybe they wont pay attention to it, but then if somthing happens (god forbid) and it was their fault, at least you can say well we did try to do something about this.

also i think even if the property is privately owned or not, if this is a block of flats, the freeholder would have had to give permission for the building works, especially as it sounds like they did something substantial to the structure of their flat. contact your freeholder at tell them of your concerns. if your flat is council/ housing association even worse!!!! the nfh's shouldnt have done any alterations like that! i am sure it cant be that much different in Ireland.

and i am pretty sure opening someone elses post is illegal and quite a hefty punishment if you are caught....

http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi Hermes,

I would like offer you a welcome from Scotland. You will get plenty of sound advise on this forum and have already been given plenty.

I would just like to pick up the structural damage he has caused. Friends of ours live in set of flats. These are private flats but part of the responsibility of all the tenants is for the maintenance and upkeep of the roof and basement. This, I assume also includes the foundations. Before any work is carried out in these areas they jointly have to agree on the work and split the price for this work. Just out of curiosity, why on earth as he messed around with building foundations? mind you, you did say he was a pr*t.

CCTV is a must if at all possible and other members have already recommended this. As a visible deterrent they cannot be beaten. If you decide to do this make sure you also display warning signs.

I know from bitter experience that these types of people can grind you down. The last thing that any reasonable person needs is confrontation. I would advise not to try and seek confrontation but I would advise that you take measures to protect yourself and your family. As hard as it is, please try to remain within the law.

Once again welcome to the forum. I hope things improve for you. Kevin

Comment

Why are they running a business from their home anyway?

I am not sure if S. Ireland law is the same but even if the flats are privately owned they are still subject to a lease and therefore will have a Landlord. There will be a strict restriction on running any form of business from the property so you could take the matter to them and ask them to sort it. Also, if there is a business being run there the Council would be interested as they would want to apply business rates if they though the operation was legit.

In my opinion, this is a matter for the Landlord to get involved with and I would contact them urgently, especially if the foundations of the building have been damaged. They should also take steps regarding the communal entrance door.

Comment

Hi Hermes,

Back again. I know the cracks in your hall are only a small part of your problems but as an engineer I am quite concerned by this. I don't want to sound alarmist but I would advise you to get a structural engineer in as soon as possible to check them and the building out.

Basically, pr*t messes with foundations, building moves, cracks appear. I would advise you strongly to find out if the building is still moving. Like I have said I really don't want to alarm you but for your own peace of mind you need to know that the building you are in is structurally sound.

If your are a private resident contact your insurance company. If you rent the property, contact your landlord.

All the best kevin

Comment

Just to thank everyone for their extensive replies. It is good to have support! Yes this is a private owned appartment and a conversion dating from the sixties. Unfortunately before I got here Mr pr*t bought the freehold or so I am told. No use complaining to him. I will keep a log and use the digital camera. In the old days the situation was not so bad since there was a change of use in pr*t's business. Now he is also using the small apartment next to us as a workshop. I agree it is time for a solicitor.

Yes there have been toys on the stairs, prams blocking the entrance, constant blocking of our car. I have seen the wife from hell smashing her space wagon car door into the side of the car and she has been told but continues. We have vibration that rattles the crockery, so it is like a campaign. I know the cat might have been accidental - other things being equal. But they are not. I have written to the post office but no reply as is usual for complaints. The targets are bank statements, family mail from abroad - anything that looks personal or confidential like income tax. The kettle must be steaming full time. Now CCTV - thanks for the suggestion. I might go for that. I will register with the Ireland site and thanks to the Ireland correspondents also who noticed and helped

Best wishes and Venceremos! Hermes (the messenger!)

Comment

I hate to say this, Hermes, but I would sell up and move if I had to put up with what you are going through.

I know that is not a very helpful thing to say, but it looks very difficult if the NFH is also the freeholder, does any one else have any tips?

http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Moving is under consideration but prices here are sky high. I am moving to the solicitor stage. Thanks everyone for your support.

Hermes

Comment

Working...
                      X