This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger's tale

Hello this is my first post to this group and just wanted to tell someone other than my solicitor the story.

I live in a terraced row of four houses in a tiny village and the pub is about 30 feet away I know what your thinking lots of noise and people shouting , Well thats not the problem in between the is house no 1 all the houses have retired couples in. 6 years ago me and the wife fell in love with it seemed like the idillic locale we got a good deal on the house as the woman was quite desperate to sell (I know why) it needed some immediate outside attention roof, chimmney but all quite easy work for me. anyway we moved in july. 1 week later I decided as the weather was good I would do the roof had only seen neighbours in quick passing smiled said hello all seemed fine till now was standing in my loft looking out of roof(in the hole) when he pulled up in his pickup got out looked up and started shouting get off my roof I explained that I was stood in my loft and his roof was about 5 feet away he huffed and told me I would pay for any damages ok maybe he had a bad day did not pay any more attention to it. Following week started repointing chim noticed his needed doing so thought good idea to ask him if well I was up here did he want me to do it for a bag of sand and cement went and asked him what a mistake he told me I would have to pay for the guttering to be cleaned and his patio to be mended cowboys should be in jail I just politely mumbled and left. kind of keep myself to myself after that but small things keep going on and on moaned at for this and that. Anyway in the years that followed I have lost count of cussings untill last year. (the neighbours from no 3 and no 4 I seem to get on well with by the way) was in the pub chatting to the landlord and lady who from day one I got on with like a house on fire the asked me to go in the back with them so of we went and we all sat down and they promtly ask if I wanted to buy the land to the back of the four houses I was shocked but as we have ony a small garden and two young children 5,2 1/2 I said it seem a good idea. so I thought about it for a few days and we decided to go ahead it was quite cheap really but a massive jungle. months passed and then he found out what a roasting I got for that he said that I had no respect for people and how he could not have done that to his neighbours after all the years they had been there (all of them 30 years+) he went on for a good 15mins non stop wow even my dad was never that god at roasting!!!!. It has been quite since then we have not spoken or acknowleged each other since then last week I was working out the back garden when there they were bold as brass stood on my land painting there fence I went over and politely asked them to leave as they were tresspasing he then told me I had know right to tell him anything he owned this bit of land he was on and I should keep my simple self to myself I told him to leave or I would be forced to call the police he refused and carried on insulting me in front of my children so I called the police and stayed in doors out the way watching him walk round my garden painting his fence 4 hours later the police rung and asked if they were still needed well by then he had finished and gone back over his fence so I told them no. anyway we are now at the very costly solicitor stage trying to convince him that we own the land but he refuses to budge on this stance we have had plans ,land registry surveyeurs all sent there but to no avail some days I think we should move and leave well behind. a little bit about us both 30s both work shifts police and haulage sorry for the waffle but feel better now if you need to know more let me know I will try to answer best I can. am I just unlucky or is it me being picky? so there you have this is as short as I can get it without leaving out so much it does not make sence hope this give you some idea of my situation.
    Trigger

You do not stop playing when you get old

You get old because you stop playing

welcome trigger!

sorry to hear about your neighbour, he sounds very territorial!

I dont know to be honest what to say to you apart from stopping offering to help him out!!!

he sounds like a stick in the mud and I bet he told you that he won the war for the likes of you!

blimey, it is nice that you started out with good intentions but he obviuosly is not open to this help, does he think you are trying to steal his house?

as for the land issue you seem to be using the only option available to you. I am sorry your dream house isn't surrounded by dream neighbours.

I hope you feel a bit better for sharing your story with us, you will get loads of support here and hopefully someone will be able to offer you some more advice.

Comment

Hi Trigger and welcome

I don't know much about land issues, but you seem to have all the documents proving your ownership of your land. I suppose, from what you said about it being a jungle, that it hadn't been used much before. Your neighbour, apart from being a nasty g*t, doesn't seem to like change. Or maybe he wanted the land himself.

You say that you get on ok with the the other two couples who live in the terrace. What do they know about the land and have you had any problems from them? Or have they had problems from Mr.Nasty? I think it is awful, you extended the hand of friendship only to have it bitten off at the elbow!

Your NFH sounds as if he is one of those people who were born sour and have got more acidy the older they get. Have you seen a solicitor about his trespassing on your land? If not, it might be an idea to see one.

I'm sorry to hear your dream home has turned into a nightmare thanks to the antics of one nasty man. I look forward to hearing more from you. Don't let the ******** get you down.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Welcome to the board Trigger

I am not much help either, but you have come to the right place for support

Your neighbour sounds very, very territorial! and it is a shame he has started becomming nasty, I hope you get all the help you need and stop by often, I have been away for a while and have missed all the friendly people here
        http://www.dawnie.interwebs.co.uk/Heart1.gif

Comment

Hello Trigger. Sounds like a bad case of sour grapes from your lovely neighbour. From your post, it seems as though he has only trespassed once to paint his fence. Is that right or is he doing it regularly?

Since you have a title to the land and proof from the Land Registry, I would ask your solicitor to write a formal letter to your neighbour telling him he has no legal right on your property and, if he persists in using your land, Court action will be taken and you will be looking to him to recover your costs.

If he believes that he owns the land, then he should provide a copy of his register or what are known as Office Copy Entries as proof. This will outline the extent and boundaries of his land. Your Office Copies will line up with his and you will then see exactly who owns what and there shouldn't be any "grey areas". If he doesn't want to do this, your solicitor can apply for them himself by doing an Index Map Search to find the title number and then applying for the Office Copies under that.

If you are fully confident that the land is legally yours but your neighbour still disputes this, he should be invited to employ (at his own cost but, at the same time, an unbiased) surveyor to tell him what you already know. Surveyors don't come cheap. Any refusal by him to employ one after you have offered that route would go severely against him should the issue end up in Court.

Basically, sometimes you have to threaten someone with the prospect of incurring huge legal fees. If he's proved wrong (which seems likely in your case), he could face a legal bill of thousands of pounds and he won't like that one bit.

Jeannie

Comment

Originally posted by Jeannie@May 29 2003, 11:32 PM

If you are fully confident that the land is legally yours but your neighbour still disputes this, he should be invited to employ (at his own cost but, at the same time, an unbiased) surveyor to tell him what you already know.* Surveyors don't come cheap.* Any refusal by him to employ one after you have offered that route would go severely against him should the issue end up in Court.
            Or instruct your own surveyor. Surveyors have lots of letters after their names, and this impresses judges (Hee hee!! money well spent in our case with builder). If it eventually went to court you'd claim the surveyor's fee back from NFH.

We paid around £230 plus vat per survey; we needed two: you'd only need one. Make sure your surveyor's a member of all the right bodies if you go this route.
            "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

well er ok lots of questions first of they all wanted the land but the landlord would not sell it.

Certainly not to NFH.

He is at least once a month doing something over the fence strimming pouring weedkiller that sort of thing.

I stopped offering years ago but two weeks ago I pulled out a tree he had been moaning about for 2 years at least silly me.

The last house on the row has started complaining to me lately but not surprising as see is spending quite a lot of time with NFH.

I have solicitor on case Money for nothing.

Slight problem he ignores solicitor and still claims its his land all expence is my way at mo.

All land + survey say mine. He says His

No rights to access beyond his boundry fence for no reason (apart from court document for major repairs) new law.

Seems a no win situation he says he has proof he owns it but will not show it, everything else says he does not

Makes me feel traped in my own house, am quite shy.
              Trigger

Comment

Tosh!!

you have a very good case,

you have the paper work and the proof!

he says he has proof but wont show it.....coz he has none!

he is trying to worry you, making you think....perhaps I dont have a case ...Nfh wins

sounds like he is trying a bit of reverse psycology on you!

dont let him get to you...if this land is rightfully yours and you want to be able to use it, then go ahead with the lawers and stuff............bum to your NFH!!

Comment

hi trig,

sounds like u have a big ol BULLY on your hands.

why not hold a BIG bar-b-q with bouncy castle etc on land.

you could invite all the other neighbours, all your kids mates and folks and leave this ol g*t to seethe. bring all the pub regulars as well, and have a big sound system!! if you have mates who are with the police, get them all round. basically a BIG SHOW OF FORCE.

it would be a very clear demonstration of who owns what, and a more fun way of spending £250??

he obviously knows he is winding u up, and gets a big kick out of doing so.

after that you could offer to let someone put their pony in there, or turn it into an extended playground for your kids? the more u use it , the more he will have to accept it and he will find people give him short shrift for his moaning, especially if their kids can play safely away from traffic.

If he feels he has a right to complain let him take u to court, he will have to incurr all the costs and won't get a result. this will also send a clear message to anyone else who feels like taking a bit out of you.

dogs mark their territory by p***ing on trees, and this is what this old bloke is trying to do

i agree about the reverse psychology bit as well, this smart old g*t will set you against all your neighbours -

you paid for the land and the house so make sure you enjoy them.

sling up a couple of hammocks and a paddling pool, fill it with ice and beer and have a great summer!

and b*ll*cks to that old f*rt.

ps. give him a nick name, and laugh when u see him. it really freaks em out.

best of luck

Comment

Hi Trigger

Sounds like you have the upper hand in this situation.

Jeannie has given you some good advice and if I were you I would discuss this with your Solicitor and get them to send out a letter to your NFH.

I have just noticed a post from onthmove, by all means use your land as you have the right to do so, but don't stoop to the level of an NFH by being a nuisance! It won't make your feel any better in the long term.

And, welcome the Forum!

Comment

Jeannie has given you some good advice and if I were you I would discuss this with your Solicitor and get them to send out a letter to your NFH.

Have had 2 sent, no sign of responce yet.

I will use the land it's just taking a while to sort out, load of rubble ,very unlevel not a jungle any more though, will take a while longer yet kids play area with swing slide climbing frame all designed just needs ground work and grass seeding.

forget hammocks I`m going 12'x21' summerhouse with fridge, decking bbq and of course swinging bench seat.

I have to say this Forum is making me feel much better glad I found it, have fun
                      Trigger

Comment

love the idea of the summer house....

but...

please check out planning regs first, dont give Mr NFH anything to use on you!!

Comment

Interesting I was under the impresion you did not need planning for a summerhouse(all there are are big sheds really) wife said it's a log cabin not summerhouse! I stand corrected still never mind.

Just read about mediation from fiddlers story I belive,

I was hoping this was going to work for us , but guess what not one reply to letter suggesting this option.

solisitor thinks court only way ,but lots of money he says we will win but I don't want to take away his savings on a stupid cause like this surely he must see reason.
                          Trigger

Comment

sheds/summer houses

hope this helps a little!

had a smile when it says about keep in mind your neighbours reaction!!

Comment

Thanks beth, will contact council just to be 100% on it ,thanks for the info but he won't like it any way as it is right in line with his kitchen window view which makes me think maybe I should have left that tree there oop's still he did moan for years for me to get rid of it Cheers
                              Trigger

Comment

Working...
                              X