This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour with Mental health problems

I live in excouncil now housing trust accommodation. About 2 years ago a new tenant moved in that the council placed there. He has since trashed his flat and kicked his front door down, usually because he keeps losing his key. The Trust would not keep a spare for him despite knowing of his mental health problems. If they didn't know before, they do now, because I put them in touch with the local social services and made them liaise. After a year or more of hell, he totally lost it (not an aggressive bloke at all or anything to be frightened of) and it was obvious that he had schizophrenia from the state of his flat and I actually heard him deteriorate. He was sectioned and admitted to hospital and then allowed back about three months late. I know from the mental health act that once they are sectioned, they by law are not allowed to turn down their medication. Despite extensive efforts to get him out, the bottom line is that he is a protected species. The judge in the law courts that the housing trust went to (and I only have their word on this) said that he is a "vulnerable member of society" and needs a home. This does not take into account the zombified state of broken sleep for 4 months I went through with him and the stress of hearing his mental state deteriorate and the breakages etc. Is anyone else going through this? What have you achieved? I have a lovely flat and have been there coming up to 9 years. I have been told I will have to leave by solicitor and by those with experience of these people being placed in the community. Those in the mental health profession have told me its like being in front of a steamroller - the government insists these people have to integrate and if you fight it, you will get flattened. I am about to get in touch with the social services responsible for him and his aftercare. Any support, comments would be more than appreciated.

hi trying2

it seems you are a nice person as your post shows caring about the chap next door even though you are getting grief from the situation.

with the sectioning, it depends what section he was placed under and for how long.

unfortunatly if he is home it is unlikley he will be under any section at the moment and there fore can not be forced to take his medication.

he can not be forced as it is classed as abuse, one thing the mental health sections help with.

the chemical imbalance of the mind can have very bizairre results!

do you know if this chap has any sort of worker?

social worker or out reach nurse?

if you can get hold of anyone, and to be honest I dont think they will discuss his case with you, you will need to give it to them as you are looking out for his best intrests and this is what he has done to you and your family, and you are worried about him etc..

if you go in guns blazing for youe side of the arguememnt they will possibly not take much notice,

if you do it for him , he needs help etc they are more likely to act

(work for social services, know what they can be like! )

Comment

Hi Trying2, welcome to the forum

I don't have any knowledge about Mental Health provisions, but I do offer you my sympathy for what you've suffered. It must be very difficult for you. No matter how much compassion you have it can be dissipated after prolonged exposure to sleepless nights. I have a friend whose daughter was diagnosed as schizophrenic and she became so exhausted she eventually gave up even trying to help her daughter.

Unless you've gone through your sort of experience, and being told that you will have to be the one to move, I think it is difficult to appreciate just how upsetting and frustrating it can be.

Maybe sheltered housing, like that for old people, would be an idea. That way people suffering from severe mental health problems would be in the community but with backup close by. But then I suppose there would be all sorts of complaints from the general public who would have to live close by. It is not an easy problem to sort out.

The present situation seems unfair on the person with the mental health issue and with people who have to live alongside them. It's all very sad and very frustrating.

Sorry I can't be of any help But I do offer my support and sympathy.

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

You have my total sympathy on this one as my neighbour has mental health problems too and although they are not as servere as your neighbour they are disturbing to us 'normal minded' thinking folks.

I think the person who is good on this subject is Poor Tom. His background is mental health and I recall him posting a reply to my original story on my NFH and he gave me some good advice about the mental health act and treatment and so on.

I don't think he would mind you PM'ing him if you are in dire need of some help, give it a while and he could well post after me.

But Poor Tom is your man for this one.

Comment

I live on a council estate which has a small close containing bungalows which is special housing. I first notiched the guy because he used to sit for hours each day on his doorstep. He is friendly and harmless, he just dresses wieird and has no idea how to look after himself or his house. I noticed that the local yobs targetted him and his property regular with stones, not only that but they had being a fire in his house all the walls were thick with black soot, and the windows were black as well.

Because I passed his house regular on my way to work, I would look expecting the council to be decorating it so I was shocked to see him still living in it. Two monthes passed and he was still living in the mess. So I gave the council office a piece of my mind. I think its disgusting in this modern world people are left to suffer like this. He clearly needed help and if the fire had spread to the joining bungalow I dread to think.

They said they knew of the problem. They seem to have cleaned up the smoke damage and he is still living in it. He now has grafitti all over it.

To be honest I think you would have more luck moving or staying put and buying ear plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby@May 27 2003, 7:45 PM

they are disturbing to us 'normal minded' thinking folks.
            what is normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby@May 27 2003, 7:45 PM

You have my total sympathy on this one as my neighbour has mental health problems too and although they are not as servere as your neighbour they are disturbing to us 'normal minded' thinking folks.
              Scooby - please don't make generalisations. Did you read people's comments in the Did You See thread called "Restraining order on nuisance neighbour"?

People with Mental Health problems are human beings like you and me, they are not 'abnormal'. To set yourself apart as 'normal' is again making a very oppressive, prejudiced statement which brings you squarely into actively discriminating intentionally against people who it appears you think you're 'better than'.

I know you're having a tough time with your neighbour, but please, please don't generalise everyone who has a mental health problem with the same stereotypical banner.

Comment

Hi try2bebrave and welcome to the Forum

Sorry to hear that the problems with your neighbour mean that you are having difficulty with your own day to day living, it can't be easy on you at all. And yet, you have obviously been very patient and understanding of the issues facing your neighbour.

In terms of "sectioning", there are many different sections of the 1983 Mental Health Act (MHA) and depending on what your neighbour was admitted under will determine what level of aftercare he is getting in the community.

Whatever section he was on, he will still be under the Care Programme Approach (CPA) and should have a keyworker within the Mental Health/Social Services for your area (each area runs services differently). Under the CPA, there should be regular meetings of various people, discussing all kinds of issues: neighbour nuisance included.

Your neighbour may also be owed a full duty of aftercare under section 117 of the MHA, housing is an absolute right under s117. He should also receive appropriate aftercare, again, there should be regular meetings.

If your neighbour isn't receiving any of this care, then I would suggest your first port of call should be to Social Services. *Beth is right, they are unlikely to provide you with any information for confidentiality reasons, but you can explain your concerns.

Give them as much information as possible: name, address, patterns of behaviour. Ask them if they will raise your concerns at the next CPA Meeting, or if they can pass your concerns to the persons key worker, you could also ask them to carry out an assessment of your neighbours needs under section 47 NHS and Community Care Act 1990.

If you sound likeyou know your stuff, they are unlikely to try and fob you off. Make it clear to them that you have real concerns for your neighbour's well-being.

Try that and see how you get on - good luck.

Comment

Goosegirl, I think you should be commended for your action on behalf of your neighbour. If only there were more people like you in the world maybe 'care in the community' could actually work.

I think too many times in today's world people just want to walk on by, leave the problem for somebody else to sort out. You have shown how a true neighbour should act. Taking a little time to get on to the council. Maybe if everybody who had passed that man had done the same the council would have taken his plight a lot more seriously.

Well done,

Misty
                  "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

I'm not quite sure what to say, but my son will become one of these people, eventually I don't think that he will be a nuisance to anybody, but I hope he will not become a victim, like the man that goosegirl described.

It's a very sobering thought and one that is always at the back of my mind.

I hope that somebody like goosegirl will be one of his neighbours, and look out for him.

Tri

Comment

Tristar,

I am sure you son will grow up to be a well adjusted adult, no matter what his disability is.

It is also about raising your children to be the best people they can be, and giving them the best chance you can in life, also by using all the services available to you/him.

I hope no one caused you or your son any offence will any comments here, please remember that one persons views are not the views of the entire membership.

keep posting

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by tristar@May 29 2003, 2:55 AM

I'm not quite sure what to say, but my son will become one of these people, eventually
                        With the right support and input Tristar, your son will grow up and develop into what he wants to be. With motivation and people who are around him that are motivated and the right learning environment he can achieve what he wants to

It's stereotypical attitudes and prejudices that are the barrier in society today, not the lack of opportunities and resources.

He already has a head start, you

Comment

Tristar, your son is obviously being brought up by a wonderful, loving, caring mother. With a start like that he is leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other kids in your neighbourhood (Norma/n's for starters)

My daughter has muscular dystrophy and I do worry about when I'm gone, she will probably be in wheelchair by then and I pray that there will be people around her who will protect her and cherish her. I'm sure there will be and I'm equally sure that your son will attract the same sort of caring people because you will have brought him up that way

Take care,

Misty

Comment

Hi trying2

Scooby mentioned my name as an 'expert' on mental health issues. You've already had the best advice. IF your attempts to involve helping agencies come across as NIMBY you'll be ignored. You don't come across that way here, but sometimes when trying to get through to officials, especially seeing as you're losing sleep and stressed yourself the wrong impression can come across.

I personally avoid the term 'schizophrenia' which has no known basis in scientific physiological fact, and isn't consistent with most psychoanalytic theories. (Try RD Laing for an alternative view. In your local library; probably bowdlerized on the net - I've never checked).

PM me if you want with more details, questions etc. Got to rush now.
                            "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

Hi All

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. Iwould like to let you all know that I am not offended by anything that has been said. It's just that it struck a chord! Misty, you will know exactly what I mean, I hope

Thank You all again.

Tri

Comment

Working...
                              X