This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story

I live in a 3 bedroomed semi on a council estate on the corner of my street, I would go off to college several times a week. and because my sister and her boyfriend recently left I found my interest in gardening grew until I decided my garden needed a major makeover. I regulary have bottles etc thrown in the boundaries this I clean up and put down to living near the main throughfairs

I cleared all the brambles and weeds planted shrubs etc and went off to college, on returning home I would find my privet hedge flattened and broken.

One day I was talking to the neighbourhoodwatch man who lives facing my house, and he told me he had watched children climbing onto my outhouse and jumping into my hedge. He coudn't describe them to me and he didnot tell anyone and he didn't confront them because he said he was on his way out. My other neighbours never see any thing either. This went on and I would find kids messing about in my garden not looking for balls just messing about . To be continued, its a long story but I thought I should start at the very begining to give you a feeling of the situation.
    • HELLO EVERYONE AND THANKYOU FOR THE REPLIES.

I used to have a lot of bambles and blackberry bushes round the primeter of my garden, but I have a large garden which is very open to public view. It is near impossible to remove a large amount of bottles and takeaways and junk thrown in among the brambles and it looks messy to the neighbours who look onto my garden who have private houses. The neighbourhood guy is a keen gardener with a pocket sized garden with lines on his lawn and perfect spaces. I made the mistake of letting him trim my privet hedge a few times because I did not have any hedgetrimmers. His wife seemed to take offence to this and would make comments about their garden needing attention, and his health. So I made some excuse and said that I did not need his help anymore and kept out of their way. I now have all the right equipment etc.

I thought about putting fenching round my garden but this would be very expensive, and not very good for security. I thought removing all the overgrown brambles and planting lots of shrubs etc would make my garden look more lived in, and people and kids would be less inclined to throw rubbish in etc. Now that I am a keen gardener myself I dug a pond, trimmed all my trees and hedges, and my garden is in good shape. I don't mow the lawns every week more like 2 weeks I like gardens to look more natural. I thought this would make a good impression on the neighbourhood guy, but now he just seems obssessed with my garden. He never used to say anything about my garden or the state of it when it was a mess. If talking to him I find that the conversation always goes back to my garden. They are at least 4 other gardens near to me in a hell of a lot worse condition than mine and he never says a thing about them

There is a post from someone earlier in the forum re. footballs in the garden, cannot remember which one, but general consensus of opnion was:

Plant some Pyrocanthus (a very spiky bushy plant used in hedges etc). Replant your borders with this, I guarantee no more erm, "playfulness" from the dear little ones.

Sounds a bit cruel even as I recommend it, but some kids these days don't have any respect for others property and a few pricks from this would put a stop to it - just make sure you don't get on the spiky end of it yourself!!

Comment

Hi goosegirl and welcome to the Forum

So, you are another member where children are causing a nuisance? It seems to be happening more and more these days, with children who don't seem to have a care for anyone else's property.

I hope that you will come back here soon and update us on your story. Have you managed to resolve the problems now or are you still having difficulty with the neighbourhood children?

Look forward to hearing the rest of your story and welcome again.

Comment

Goosegirl, brambles can be a householder's best friend and certainly one of the best deterrents to trespassers. I would be tempted to plant them back (if you have them there, they will be in the area - I have them by me. Councils do tend to plant them on road boundaries to prevent people creating unauthorised footpaths). They grow like crazy once established so see if you can nick some off-shots from the common boundaries round you. They're not pretty but they can be disguised afterwards. As Gordy says, Pyracantha is good as well but not as dense and takes a little while to get going. It's also a pretty plant when in flower/fruit (the red berries are the bird's favourite) so you wouldn't want it to get trampled in the meantime. I'd get the brambles going and then add a row of Pyracantha as an extra measure. When they're established, you can then remove the brambles again.

Remember that the average kid doesn't think about what he's doing but, if it came to ripping the £60 Nike top or the £150.00 Nike trainers, it will make a difference.

Comment

Hi goosegirl and welcome to the forum.

Oh, boy! Kids and other peoples gardens! I know exactly how you feel. I'm forever chasing the little blighters out of my garden and my daughter's garden (she lives next door). It seems as though some kids nowadays (especially ones living on council estates) think that fences are not there to stop them but are just another plaything, like a climbing frame.

The other members have given you some good advice re using prickly bushes, anti-vandal paint (yes you do have to put up a sign) etc. I've got a couple of bramble bushes growing under my window, at one time I'd have rooted them out but now I leave them there to keep the little g*ts from peering in through my windows.

I think you should make your local housing office aware of what is going on. Keep a diary. If you see the kids in your garden and you don't know their names just write a description of them. If they are causing damage keep a record of what the damage is. You might also have a word with your local Community police officer.

You say there's more to your story so I'll not say anymore right now. Hope to hear from you soon

Misty
          "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Get some rugosa roses, these are very quick growing and very very thorny to, yes the money we spend trying to keep our property private is unbelievable. I will never buy again either in a cul de sac or have open plan front garden either, my bungalow is on a busy road and its all walled off and i am having wrought iron put up too.

Comment

Hi Goosegirl,

I think you have a two pronged problem, the first being the rubbish the second the guy across the road who appears to have become somewhat fixated by you and your garden.

The first problem being the garden. You could plant some thorny stuff like the pyrancanthus and it does grow reasonably quickly or you could try some beech hedgeing. It is fairly cheep and you can keep it to the height you want by simply trimming it. However, this is more of what you personally want to do with your garden and something that we can only offer suggestions to.

The second being the neighbour across the road. I think in a round about way he has taken an overactive interest in your garden. I don't think it could be an unhealthy interest, its, just I think he might be a bit brow beaten by her indoors !

By talking to you about gardening he feels that he is escaping his little world of the wife and he thinks that by chatting to you about your garden that will prolong the conversation. What he does not realise is that it is actually antagonising you.

I feel that he could well want to keep the offer open of doing your garden and by throwing in little things like oh you haven't done that as well as me or whatever he thinks it will eventually lead to you saying to him oh just do the garden for me then. Despite the wife who moans about his health and has better things to do.

You know the old saying the grass is greener. He probably sees you as an escape from his meenial world. Try not to take it too much to heart and keep the communication channels open.

The rubbish - well you could still try the hedge !

Comment

HI Goosegirl.

My name says it all, THORNYSIDE!

The whole length of my garden on one side is made up of thorny plants, pyracantha as others have advised and Hollies - try grabbing a Hedgehog Holly - you'll only do it once! Plus roses, quince, gorse and berberis are all good thorny plants. I've noted Mahonia also acts as a deterrent.

The only problem with these plants is that they are relatively slow growing but once established, ouch!

I love my garden and was a bit peeved that I had to design it around the neighbours but by careful planning I am still creating the overall feel that I wanted.

By the way, don't go buying from Garden Centres, try and find a good local Nursery - much cheaper and not such a loss if a young plant is destroyed.

But what of your Neighbourhood Watch man, doesn't sound very proactive.

Our Estate has had many problems for years, but our Neighbourhood Watch has been very active and has played a central role in improving the area. But it helps to have someone BIG and someone who is willing to have a go when the going gets tough. Our man would not stand idly by in your situation, perhaps if you are a member of your Neighbourhood Watch you could think of electing a different Co-ordinator.
                THORNYSIDE

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thornyside

Comment

great advice thorny!

I thought you would know all the names of the right sort of shrubs!!

Comment

Working...
                  X