This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFH Noise and Parking

I live in a 3 bed terraced house and my neighbour has 5 children under the age of 5 and she is expecting another one The kids run up and down the stairs like they are wearing lead boots and if they're playing in the garden they have to scream.

On top of this her boyfriend (who looks about 12) drives a very large transit van which he parks on the road across their driveway which adjoins ours. Consequently, when we pull out of the driveway it is impossible to see any oncoming traffic - a fact which they really don't care about as he pay no attention to how the van is parked. How can people have, or want, so many children in a 3 bed house. I play music fairly loud and when they're making loads of noise I sometimes play catch with a rubber ball against the joining wall but they probably can't hear it above the out of control brats . I wish I could afford to move but what with house prices.....

Lisa

Hi Lisa and welcome to the Board

So, you have joined the board with basically the same problems as I did. Noise and parking problems from your neighbour from hell (NFH). Our nfh has calmed down now, but we still hear him going up and down the stairs - we call it "stair-aerobics" now.

Just to help us get a clearer picture of your problems I'm going to ask some questions, don't feel you after answer if you don't want to.

- Have you spoken to your nfh about how they park the van and the noise coming from their house?

- Can't they park the van in their own driveway?

- Are any other neighbours affected by the nfh?

With noise problems, the main thing that you must do is to record everything on a sheet. The day, time, type of noise and what impact it has on you. If you need to bring in the Environmental Health (EH) department then this is the first thing they will tell you to do.

The other option you could consider at this stage is Mediation. Have a look through your Yellow Pages to see if a Mediation Service operates in your area.

You will find that everyone on the forum has experienced problems neighbours - and between us can offer support and advice on loads of issues.

Keep coming back here often to see what other members have said and to let us know how you are getting on.

Good luck

Comment

Welcome to the NFH Forum Board Lisa

Noise from children and young people next door can be very distracting I agree, it's often the pitch of their voices that comes through too. Does it happen late at night for you, or just in the daytime? What other forms of noise are you being bothered by out of interest?

The parking thing sounds extremely irritating and very rude of your neighbour too - could you contact your Local Council and ask them if they can assess the situation as you are unable to safely view the road when turning out when blocked? They may not get involved and may charge you for visiting, but worth checking out.

Noise like this though all adds up doesn't it? It can make you really sensitive, even if the kids are playing 'normally' - have you had a word with the parents about any of the problems? If so, what was their reaction? Are you recording any noises and have you had cause yet to take or ask for any official help from your Local Authority etc?

Come back often!

Comment

Holly beat me to it there!

It's like Mastermind this Lisa, all these questions!

Comment

Working...
        X