This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello...it's not just us then!

Hello everybody, I've had my eyes opened this morning after reading the problems that other people experience on a day to day basis.

I joined this forum as I thought I was in a minority who was just unfortunate enough to not 'get on' with their neighbours. After reading some of the posts on here I'm now wondering if I'm actually being unreasonable and expecting too much from today's society?

My wife and I moved into our house three years ago after suffering neighbour problems at our old address (usual stuff, loud music, TV etc.) we foolishly however bought another Semi-detached thinking that not everybody was inconsiderate and noisy.

Initially things were OK, although the guy next door did DIY most weekends (he worked away in the week at the time) which caused some noise but we also needed work done on the house so we weren't bothered, however three years on he is still doing DIY and I can only describe him as a DIY Junkie, he's addicted to it and has every power tool known to man, his garage has enough building supplies to build a small community. When I finish a DIY job I like to put my feet up and have a beer for the next six months...but this guy just starts on the next room, a bit like painting the Forth road bridge!

Our problem is however that earlier this year he changed his job which means he's at home during the week, so guess what...he now does DIY EVERY evening and at the weekends! I'm trying to remain light hearted here but in truth it is affecting my health as I sit at work dreading going home each evening to the sound of hammering and sanding.

My question however is am I being unreasonable expecting silence when I want it? The noise from his DIY'ing goes on until around 10pm most evenings and the clearing/cleaning up until his garage door thumps shut at midnight.

We have a three year old little girl who is in bed at 19:00 and to my mind I think it's inconsiderate to have banging/drilling noise beyond then. His hammer drill oftens shakes my Daughters bedroom at night.

I'd be interested to hear peoples views on what they consider a reasonable time would be for DIY noise to stop, as I appriciate that reasonable behaviour is very subjective.

Thanks for reading my moan...I'm feeling a little better already (although I am at work!)

Cheers

Carl.

Hi Carl and welcome to the NFHiB Forum

I think I'd feel like you too if my neighbour was DIYing until late at night . IMO there's nothing worse than hearing your neighbour - you never know when the noise is going to start or stop and it just gets so frustrating and can really wear you down.

Have you talked to your neighbour at all about the noise they're making? What has your relationship been like with them in general? I think that if you're on speaking terms, I might be tempted just to raise it with them and say that it's causing a disturbance to you, but particularly to your daughter. It may be that they don't realise the impact their non-stop improvements are having on you.

It would have been nice and proper if they had come round to see you to give you some advance warning of the DIY and to agree some timescales with you, i.e. how long it will take and agreeing times during the day when he will be undertaking the work. Oh, if only all our neighbours were reasonable.

I'm sure that many more members will be along shortly to offer advice and support. If you haven't had a look at them yet, there are some very useful self-help articles on the main NFHiB site.

Comment

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum

In answer to your question ' .. am I being unreasonable expecting silence when I want it? ' er......noooo Well, maybe not when you 'want' it but certainly you should not be subjected to 3yrs of constant DIY!! It would drive any sane person mad!

Have you spoken to your neighbour? I'm sure he must be aware of the nuisance he is causing, or maybe he thinks because you've not complained you are ok with it. Hopefully, if you approach him in a friendly manner, he might take your complaints seriously and be more considerate. Ok, I'm sounding hopelessly optimistic, but you never know

But log everything. Good luck

Misty
      "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Carl, and welcome to the Forum

I certainly think that 3 years solid of your neighbours DIY is enough to drive anyone to distraction! I think he needs an amicable reailty check! Any chance, like others have suggested, of having a chat with him...invite him down the pub/round for a drink? He really may have no idea of the sort of disturbance he is causing...thoughtless, but not deliberate? Has he a partner who could be invited to listen what it sounds like in your house?

Do try the amicable route here (you don't want to end up having to declare a dispute on the SPIF unless you really have to, should you ever wish to sell). The step after the amicable chat, would be mediation, which is free, link below

http://www.mediationuk.org.uk/home.asp

Do log all instances, because you may end up with no alternative but to go the Environmental Health route re persistant noise nuisance (do check out the self-help and legislation articles for more info).

best of luck with this,

Sapph

Comment

Hi Carl.

You not expecting too much at all. But having a word with him is excellant idea. He may not as the others have said realised juast what a problem he is causing you.

Really hope you able to sort this sooner rather than later. When I first moved to this house the people on the house attached to me (and they turned out to be really good neighbours) used to play really loud music with heavy bass, i spoke to them a couple of times about it an eventually got them here to listen and they couldn't apologise enough.

sometimes people don't really realise what effect they are having on those around them.

Good luck

Maria

Comment

Thank you everybody for your kind words of support and the warm welcome. I have spoken to our neighbour on a couple of occasions in the past but unfortunately it seems his years of power tool abuse has affected his hearing, or maybe he just doesn't care.

Anyway this week we've had three days respite from his DIY and had peace in the evenings! The trouble is I still can't relax as I'm constantly listening for the hammering to begin...

Hazelnut, yes Mr DIY does have a Mrs DIY (and two off-spring DIYers.) Mrs DIY is our local Parish Councillor, how ironic is that !!

Comment

Hi Carl.

It gets you that way because you get so used to it you waiting for it all to start up again.

Would it be worth sitting in (if you are aloud to) at a Parish Council meeting..

Just a thought

Good Luck

Maria

Comment

Hi again

Do make sure you're logging all incidents of noise (there's a template to use in the resources section).

Your next steps may be to write to your neighbours (again, check out the resources section for a template letter); contact the Environmental Health department in your Council; contact Mediation; or even speak to a Councillor

Above all, try not to retaliate with noise. If you end up contacting an external agency with a complaint, the fact that you've retailated in some way will not look good.

You can always come here to have a good old rant when they are really annoying you. And don't worry, we're used to ranting here!

Comment

Hi Carl,

Belated welcome!

Can't believe I missed your thread until now :blush: .

I am glad that you seem to feel a bit better already, it is often an amazing feeling of relief when you find others who can understand what you are going through. :thumbs:

You have received great advice already - I just wanted to offer my total support - I'd be demented too.

My NFH was constantly hammering, bashing, thudding for months on end a couple of years ago (he's 80 odd years old and the mind boggles what exactly he was getting up to :blink: ) and it really got on our nerves too - but we never thought to report it or speak to him about how much of a nuisance it was causing. I wish I had now!!! :frown:

I hope you can sort this out amicably - please let us know how you get on!

Mazza

:ban:

Comment

Working...
                  X