This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmas decorations

hi long story but i have seperated from my partner and due to money we both live under the same roof.we have put our house up for sale but cannot get a buyer because of next doors xmas decorations.every year my neighbour puts a display in his front garden.last year he done it for charity and extended the display through the passage into his back garden.at the front he erected a 8foot tall mesh fence to hang his lights on and to keep vandals out(he has prosecuted before)this "temporary " fence has been up all year and he also has decorations still up all year.i asked him if he could leave the main display down untill we had an offer for my house.he responded by putting them up when i went out that afternoon .my ex asked him again if he would take them down but he refused(this is september by the way)my ex then complained to the council who he rents off and initially they were sympathetic and they wrote him a letter asking him to take them down .hethen told them it was for charity and there tune has changed .to cap it all i went into the local garage where my neighbour works and on the counter was a petition to "save the lights" basically saying that bah humbug neighbours are trying to ruin this charitable event.i now dont know what to do it is pbviously devaluing my house putting off buyers and he has threatene3d to go to the press.this really frightens me as the local press have just launched a competion to "light up your house"with cash going to the charity of the winners choice.my situation is not helped by my ex who has vowed to take this all the way.can anyone give me guidance

Hi Aggraa,

Welcome to the forum. If he's doing it for charity, he will feel committed to keeping it going each year. For the kiddies that expect to see it each year, it's a treat. But that's not helping you.

So why not try and agree over a couple of drinks, on a reasonable donation to the charity. But only if he scales it down alot , so you have a chance to sell your house. It could save you money in the long run, and help a charity.

You don't want to be stuck with a house, and a NFH going out of his way to annoay you. Could they be anything else that could be improved, thinking of the House doctors tips now. You don't really want to make it, into a him against us.

Why not come up with some ideas for his charity, show him you care. You just don,t want Blackpool Illiminations next door.

Other members will have different ideas, and will be along shortly.

GG.

Comment

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your problems. it sounds very tough for you at the moment living with your ex.

:huh:

i wonder if you recall a story about a scottish chap who used to do up his house for xmas but he went too far and eventually the residents of his road got together over it, as there were loads of cars coming into the road to see the lights. it went to court and the residents won. the chap was very disappointed, and said everyone was being bah humbug as he was doing all of it for charity, but at the end of the day he had gone a bit too far, got a bit too overzealous and by not considering his neighbours he had to pack it in altogether.

i think your neighbour has similar traits...and i would keep on at the council, they cant just fob you off like this. they might ask you to get evidence of the nuisance he is causing, i wonder if you would be able to use cctv, for this, especially if your road fills up with cars and people coming to have a look....perhaps someone could help here on the legality of doing this???? :unsure:

on another point, are you sure this issue would devalue your property? have you spoken to your local estate agents about it? it might be that someone buying your house will think what he is doing is perfectly charming!!!! alternatively could you possibly leave off marketing your property until the new year, when he will have taken (hopefully) most of the decos down? then nobody need know....i wouldnt worry greatly about the temporary fence , although i dont obviously know how ugly it looks, my ex next door neighbour had a trailer on his front off street parking full of rubbish and broken up furniture, and it didnt put off my buyer!!! (and it didnt devalue my house either, although i was worried about it!!!)

I am sure other will be along shortly to give you more words of support

:ban: :nfh1:
      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

thanks for the replies i really dont want to let this get out of hand but my neighbour will go all the way on this when his tenancy came up for renewal the co-op he rents off wanted to sell and re-house him and his 5 children he kicked up a stink got a petition going in the garage where he works went to the press and gota councillor freind to take on the council he is as far as i know on a monthly tenancy i really am pretty indifferent to the decorations but they do cause a nuisance with drunken people /familes all coming in my garden to get a better look at any time of day or night this then winds my dogs upthey start barking takes 10 mins to settle them this goes on all evening. last year he told me they couldnt watch tv use the cooker or even run a bath without the fuses blowing due to all the lights this year as every year he goes bigger and better .i have spent five years renovating my property and although i am sellling the thought of it burning down due to his dodgy wiring is worrying.he told me about a month ago he was getting a electrician in to dissconect his heating and to wire in the lights through that circuit this surely cant be allowed he is obviously overstetching his power supply .last year i tried to get the fire officer round to inspect but due to the fire strike he never showed.i will try again this year as the landscaping under the snow is just carrier bags stuffed with newspaper-fire risk-and he collects wood for his fire and currently has a stack 15 foot high 30 foot wide and about 20 foot deep.this stack prompted the reaction from one potential buyer of "oh my god whats he doing with all that" she didnt finish looking round.

Comment

that pile of wood sounds a bit dodgy to say the least! could you phone the environmental health about this? he might not be allowed under byelaws to light fires outside after dark...dont tell me he actually lights it???? that has got to be too dangerous, surely? call the fire brigade if he does!

i am getting a picture of someone a bit weird, now!!!!
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi aggraa and welcome

Oo-er, you seem to be stuck in a quandry. You don't want to appear as a killjoy but on the other hand why should you have to put up with all the hassle and possibly lose buyers or see your property devalued?

I think you're right about asking the fire-officer to inspect the installation. Goodness knows what might happen if the wiring is faulty! Have you had a word with your local neighbourhood police officer? Despite your NFH saying his display is for charity he may be breaking various laws and by-laws. I hate to be bad minded here but how does he collect the money for the charity and does ALL the money go to charity?

It's all very well for other people to call you a 'bah humbug', but they don't have to live with this on their doorstep. And to start this in September is going a bit over the top!

Good luck, I hope other members can offer you more constructive advice

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Aagraa

Welcome and sorry that you are having a hard time with your neighbour. I think that I must be a bit bah-humbug myself, as I find these types of decorations that you are describing completely over the top, especially if they started in September (what's all that about!!).

Annabel is right, some people do find it all rather charming, and I think that it is becoming more and more popular. It may just be a question of biting your lip and keep showing your property, the right buyer is out there. Out of interest, what does your estate agent say about it all?

BTW, he's deliberately trying to intimidate you over this with the "it's all for charity" line. Well I'm sorry, but what rot!! Millions of people throughout the UK donate to charities on a regular basis without being such bullies in the process. And as you say, it's very hard for you to complain about this, as you will always look like the trouble-making Scrooge :banghead:

If he was guaranteed to take his decorations down by 6th Jan, I would say that maybe it would be worth waiting until then, especially if it's obvious that this is what is putting off potential buyers. But from what you describe, it's more of an all year round thing, so maybe trying to do as many viewings as possible whilst the decorations are in full swing (and in season!) is the best option.

The trouble you could have though, is that if you have already been to the council to complain about this, you may end up having to declare it to potential buyers anyway (which could in turn put them off).

If you do want to continue pushing with the council (they can't fob you off just because this guy is doing it for charity), then establishing whether he is running a fire risk would be good ammunition for you. The enormous pile of wood is a very good place to start!

Sorry I've not been much help, but you do have my sympathies. Selling a house is stressful enough without all the added extras that you have too!

Blue Cow

Comment

From the way you describe the extent of what he is doing and his manner I would say that frankly he is not doing this for charity but for himself. I have no doubt that he relishes the attention it generates. If this is causing you real problems - and it seems that it is, don't be put of fighting by the Bah Humbug accusations.

Comment

I think his wife and kids have got used to this, and expect it each year. Maybe he could just decorate the back of his house?. You all have the normal looking front, and him do his own thing at the back. Everyone is happy.

Does anyone on your street suffer with epilepsy, you could point out that flashing lights can sometimes bring on a fit.

GG.

Comment

Hi Aggraa

My first thought was that you should point out to the Housing Co-Op or Association he is with thet you belive he is breaching Health and Safety by doing all this dodgy wiring. It really needs to be inspected and certificated by an approved electrician.

Get on to the Housing Co-Op immediately and voice your concerns - they are valid, given that he's admitted to you himself that the cooker ring main blows etc - verrry dodgy indeed!!!

The Housing Co-Op owes it's tenant a duty of care and you as a neighbour - so they must act on this information. If they are foolish enough to ignore you and God forbid a fire breaks out, they will be on a seriously sticky wicket. They will not want that, so please get at them!

Getting the Fire Brigade round is a top class idea too :thumbs: .

I am also sure that environmental health can help - a precedent has been set already as Annabel says, although I do belive it took a few years :sad: .

I love crimbo decos, don't get me wrong, but not when they are causing such a nuisance and are potentially lethal

Good luck, keep us posted

Mazza

Comment

Hi Aggraa and welcome

I can see the difficult situation you're in and I really don't know what to add to the suggestions already made by other members.

In terms of the noise that's generated by people looking at these lights, you may want to speak to the Environmental Health department (but making a complaint would then mean that you have to declare that on the Sellers Property Information Form - SPIF - when you come to sell your house).

The other angle that you could consider, is going for mediation. A good mediation service might result in your neighbour appreciating how much bother he is causing you and holding you back. You can find your local mediation service here!

Good luck and please let us all know how you're getting on.

Holly

Comment

Working...
                      X