This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• living nightmare

i moved into my council house all seemed well but only two weeks into the real side of the neighbours came out. First we got loud music which we couldn't hear my tv over it bearing in mind there is a passage and a kitchen between us, then they starting going away for the weekend and leaving their 15 yr old son on his own, which ended in more loud music,swearing and carrying on in the back garden,getting drunk with his friends making loads of noise until early hours of the morning, also their dogs fouling in my garden, once approached about this they said they would sort it out to no avail, when approached son and his friends and handed the dog back came threatening behaviour,but can't do anything about it has they are minors. now it's at the point that they is no communication between us at all, and we can't even go into my own back garden because all you get is insults or sly remarks Tried to sort it out with the council which they did get a letter and in return they put their cars in front and behind my car to block me in. I'm not the only one to complain but the rest of them are scared of them. I have now been informed that the council will not move them or me and they have now put in a right to buy, so stuck here,tried to do a mutual exchange on three occasions but fallen through due to them on the last occasion they put their music on really loud singing at the top of their voices whilst I was showing people around my house. I haven't mentioned everything the list is quite long, but its a living nightmare you can't call it home has you can't relax in your own home or garden even when it was lovely weather had to stay in with the windows shut.

Hello Hell !

Welcome to the Forums - I hope that you will find it very useful now that you are here - but of course it's a shame you had to find us in the first place...

Oh dear, here we go, Council tenants from hell...and even worse, their offspring from hell :sad: . Believe me, there are plenty of members here with the same problems - you are certainly not alone . But at least that means that you will be able to get lots of help & advice .

Firstly is there a neighbourhood watch scheme running or a tenants & residents association? There are grants available for these things and training given to anyone interested, so it might be worth trying to get one up and running if there isn't one already. The Housing Dept should have a tenant participation officer who can assist you with this.

It's good that you are on Mutual Exchange lists - covers an option at least. Don't lose faith in it - it can work, you never know what's around the corner - sounds like you have quite a good property if three people already have showed an interest .

If your Council has a transfer list - be sure to put in an application for that too - OK most are a waste of time cos you'll never get housed realistically this side of the next millenium, but again, it covers an option.

Now then, your NFH's...Log EVERYTHING. Report EVERYTHING. Report it to the Housing Dept, the Police your MP, your Local Councillor. It does not matter that they are putting in to buy their property, they are still being anti-social and that means that they are within the scope of the law. They are also breaking various parts of their tenancy agreement so be sure to report it all.

You should look up the Protection from Harassment Act and various other self-help articles on this site and use the nuisance recording sheets too.

Other members who have suffered noise nuisance will be along soon with more specific advice on noise for you!

It can be a lot to take in, but slowly you will get through it and begin to take control of your situation. You should not have to put up with any of this behaviour so don't be fobbed off by the Council or the Police.

It also occurred to me - can you get a 6 foot panel fence put up (it would be worth you putting it up at your expense even if the Council owns the property). I can tell you that several members here had similar probs with snide comments etc and once the fence was up, that was the end of it.

I would also say, please try to ignore them. Blank them completely, don't look at them, talk to them and try and avoid situations where you might be face to face with them. You could try wearing sunglasses whilst you are in the garden - it completely throws them as they can't tell where you are looking! :lol:

The reason for blanking them is that way you don't give them any ammunition whatsoever against you. It can also be very empowering once you have done it for a few days !

You can get this sorted - it will take stamina, but we are here to support you so do visit often!

All the Best,

Mazza

:nfh1: :ban:

Comment

It sounds quite dreadful and seems that if you try to sort it out in a civilised way your KFH retaliate.

I don't understand why the council won't let you move. Is there a case for just plugging away at them (the council)? Other people will probably have more useful ideas for you, but I wanted to send you my sympathy. I so agree that if you can't be relaxed in your own home it makes life miserable.

Don't show that you are afraid of them, although I can imagine that might be hard. Perhaps you don't and it's other neighbours, but you don't deserve to be afraid as well as every thing else.

JE

Comment

Hiya hell and sorry to hear about your problems.

The advice given so far is excellent. NFH principle No.1 is do not rise to any harassment from the NFH. These people thrive on your reaction so son't give them the satisfaction.

I'd also echo the point about putting up a 6 foot fence. Tristar, John S and myself have all done this and the difference is astonishing. You may still get the odd comment or loud music but you are depriving them of what they want most, a reaction and pretty soon they give up. My only regret is not doing this several year earlier.

You can erect a fence wholely on your land by leaving the original in place which is what Tristar and myself did.
        Now, these creatures are bringers of death and misery. They will never eat, they will never sleep, and they will never stop.

We are part of an ancient secret society. For three thousand years we have guarded the Cities and Towns. We are sworn at manhood to do any and all in our power to stop the NFH from ever being reborn into this world.

So what's the plan?

Rescue the damsel in distress, stop the bad guys, save the world.

Comment

Hi Hell

I'm so sorry to hear of what a hard time you are having. Your neighbours have no right to be making your lives so miserable. Mazza has given you some really useful advice as usual. I hope that this has given you some ideas.

A fence is an excellent idea to help you until things start moving. Even though the summer is now over, it's still worth putting one up. If your neighbours can't see you, then it's a big phsycological barrier.

Take care and keep us up to date with how things are going

Blue Cow

Comment

Hi Hell and welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about your situation which unfortunately is getting to be quite common

Firstly, don't let the council off the hook just because NFH have applied to buy their house. They're just trying to fob you off. Ask them if they have any anti-social behaviour strategies in place and if not why not? Contact your local councillors and MP. Most important of all keep a log of each and every incident. Also contact your local Enviromental Health Office and ask for help in combating the noise problem.

Also, as HadEnough says, contact your local neighbourhood police officer. If at all possible see if you can get other neighbours to support you. Councils and HA's seem more likely to listen to a group.

Good luck and come back often. If you need to vent your spleen we have a ranters folder. You'll get lots of replies and oodles of sympathy and advice

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Hell and welcome to the NFHiB Forum

The first thing that I would advise you to think about is popping along to your local housing advice centre to speak to them about your wish to move. Have a look here to find a local one: http://www.justask.org.uk

Regarding the noise and general nuisance issues, you need to keep a log as other members have said. There are blank ones you can use in this section here:

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/docs/index.php

You should contact your Environmental Health department about the noise, but they will generally have wanted you to have spoken to your neighbours about it first, you could also think about writing to them (if you do, keep a copy ).

Check out the Self- Help Articles about noise nuisance and many other NFH-related issues here:

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/index.php

In terms of your housing, don't give up! If you feel it is no longer reasonable for you to live where you are, then contact your local Housing Needs/Homeless Persons Unit. Tell them you wish to make an application as homeless under Part VII Housing Act 1996. See what happens if you you do that. Also, have you thought about appllying to Housing Associations? That may be worth a try too.

Going for mediation might be something you want to think about, to find your local service, have a look here: http://www.mediationuk.org.uk

Good luck and please let us know how you're getting on.

Holly

Comment

Hi

I'd also echo the point about putting up a 6 foot fence. Tristar, John S and myself have all done this and the difference is astonishing. You may still get the odd comment or loud music but you are depriving them of what they want most, a reaction and pretty soon they give up. My only regret is not doing this several year earlier.

Yes, as Rockbank says it helps a great deal and deprives them of some of their perverse pleasure. For most they may even give up. Reading your thread, perhaps they would give up. They may try other forms of harassment instead but it is well worth the fence anyway. The old "out of sight out of mind" adage may well be your salvation.

Good luck

John
                "You have to be the change you wish to see in the world"

Comment

hi there

I wont repeat any advice thats already been given, but just wanted to offer you support with the other members!

the advice you have already been given is spot on as always

as for whether some one is coiuncil or private it doesnt matter in my book, people need to learn to be nicer to their neighbours.

up bringing is no excuse in life to be nasty

good luck and let us know how it goes

Comment

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum Good to have you here and you've come to the right place for support and advice from people who've been in a similar situation to you.

Lots of advice and links given already and I hope you can visit us often.

:ban:

Comment

Working...
                    X