This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crotchety Or Harassed

Earlier this year a family moved next door. Soon after moving in the older brother and its' friends would run from the road and jump on to my garden wall sometimes dropping into the garden. They also gather outside my house making me feel intimidated. The youngest member throws rubbish over the fence into my garden, also kicks and throws a football into the garden. Child used to run into garden and grab ball and run out. Eventually, but not always, asks politely to retrieve ball, usually has older child with it. This has happened so often that I have lost interest in my front garden and have let it get really overgrown.

The youngest also encourages the family dogs into my garden by pulling the fence away and making a hole big enough for the animal to get through or showing it the best place to climb and jump over. Last week the animals (human and canine) got into my backgarden whilst I was out causing some minor damage. I did take photographs of this.

Today the ball came over again. This time a friend who was visiting answered the door, permitted the nuisances to collect the ball from the rear garden and asked quite pleasantly if they could be more careful. The father then let rip with a volley of accusations - not swearwords - i.e. 'you saying it was deliberate?' ending up with a not so veiled threat towards her. This friend does have an uncommon disease and could quite easily drop dead from shock or stress. I have a lovely peaceable neighbour on the other side who is quite distressed by the attitude and actions of these people. She has a very fragile heart condition. The noise today caused her heart to react unfavourably. I feel so utterly helpless. :sad:

Hi Juniper and welcome to the forum

Well firstly you must start to log everything that is going on regarding this problem. There are blank log sheets on the main site that you can download for this.

In order to get the best advice you will also need to say whether you and these Neighbours From Hell (NFH) own their property or are tenants of the Council or a Housing association.

I know you will get some very good advice here, but please make sure that you begin to log everything. This is always the place to start.

Tri

Comment

Hi Juniper

Welcome to the forum...but sorry you need to find help :badmood:

As Tristar advises, you really need to log all incidents. If you click on this link

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/index/php

There are log sheets to use to record nuisance incidents and self-help articles you may find helpful.

If your neighbours are tenants, they have a responsibility to ensure their children/pets do not cause a nuisance to neighbours.....again a little information about whether you and your neighbours are tenants(Council/Housing Association/private landlord) or owner-occupiers, to help get a fuller picture.

Hope some of the information helps you find an approach to these problems that you are comfortable with

Regards

Sapph

Comment

Thanks Tristar

They are renting a private house in a group of council houses. I am aware that the rent is quite high -over £600 pcm - and I am fairly certain that they are getting government help (benefit of some kind, maybe housing) towards this.

I did speak with their landlord once some time ago and got the response 'well, what can I do?' :sad:

Comment

Hi Juniper and welcome to the Forum

:angry: I've had those sort of neighbours from hell (NFH) at one point too. They seemed to think that my gardens were just an extension of theirs.

The balls coming in and them fetching it, picking plants and flowers, sitting on the wall in the evening, even once trying to pinch my gardening trowel.

If you are staying in your home, then you somehow want these NFH out. You will need to use the blank sheets that have already been mentioned. Write everything down in as much detail as possible.

As you know who the landlord of this property is, I would suggest that once you have a sheet full of incidents, you send them a copy. Ask the landlord what they can do about their tenants behaviour, as they are surely breaching some clause in their tenancy agreement.

It sounds like it's not really possible to speak to your NFH (either you don't feel able to or they wouldn't understand), but see if there's any way this could happen.

Any chance of building a bigger fence/ making your garden more secure? There is the option of installing a CCTV camera - but this can cause problems in itself. Check out the Self-Help Articles on the Home Page to read up about CCTV and the Law.

Good luck with it all.

Comment

Hi Juniper and welcome cannot be much help except that you have my sympathy.

One area I may be able to offer a bit of help is with the dogs you see I have a large garden in the countryside and I had trouble with foxs and badgers cats and dogs and still have trouble with meldrew the NFH.

Anyway wife bought me some electronic animal deterants quite cheap I belive, you put them on fence posts and the like, well they must work because don't get anything in garden now except for nfh victor meldrew.

They work by sencing movement then emitting a ultra sonic pulse I think whatever it is it works could be worth a try anyway but remember to change the batterys once in a while.

Hope all works out for you best wishes Trig
            Trigger

You do not stop playing when you get old

You get old because you stop playing

Comment

Hi Juniper and welcome

I can relate to what you're going through. I've been there I chased one lad out of my daughter's back garden on Saturday. They think they have every right to be on your property and get quite abusive if you pull them up.

You could contact your local Neighbourhood police officer and ask for help there. Are you living in council property? Even though your NFH are in a private landlord's property you council might be able to do something. If NFH are causing damage and nuisance the council might consider ASBO's. It seems that your other neighbour is also under some stress from the activities of these NFH so perhaps you could mention that (with your neighbour's permission) when you speak to the police and council.

As others have said, you must keep a log or diary of what is happening. Log every individual incident.

Good luck

Misty
              "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Hi there Juniper

Soory to hear you are suffering from KFH (kids from Hell), this is the same problem as me, especially the pesky footballs.

we had an entertaining discussion on here recently about what we would like to do with these footballs before handing them back , e.g. sticking pins in them...but i wouldnt like to encourage you into this kind of thing, oh no....

right, anyway the fact that these people are in rented property gives you a bit of leeway...the landlady of the property cannot just continue raking in the rent without accepting her responsibilities as a landlady ( this is one of my major bugbears!!!). she will have given her tenants an agreement which states they must not cause a nuisance to neighbours. she can evict them if they do not moderate their behaviour, or simply not renew the tenancy when it comes up.

if i were you i would write to her detailing al your complaints. say you expect her, as a responsible landlady, to deal with this issue as it is affecting your lives. there are elderly people living nearby you and they simply cannot cope with the situation. maybe send the letter from all of the neighbours who are affected or get the other neighbours to write letters of their own.

i would hazard a guess and say this landlady wants the money but not the hassle, therefore if you keep on at her i feel she will ask them to leave when the tenancy comes up. maybe next time she will consider the neighbour hood and the kind of tenant that would fit into it much more carefully.

in the meantime, i wonder if you should consider putting up some cctv to monitor your gardens as this will capture any deliberate actions by the KFH, you see, once you stand up for yourself and ask them to keep away, if their parents dont control them they just carry on regardless and even get more obnoxious. so please take care of yourself.

:ban: :nfh1:
                http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies and helpful suggestions. I have started my log sheet, continuing taking photos, and have had a cctv up for ages as these same kfh were swinging on the wing mirrors of my boyfriend's van back in April/May when he had one. I must admit that I did not realize there were so many rules about the cctv. I have now started actually recording daily and if there is no incident using the same tape again. I also now have appt., with my local MP although that is not until early Sept., meanwhile I will write to him explaining the situation. The last time I spoke to the landlord the father nfh came banging on my door demanding to know why I was complaining to the landlord. I'd rather not go there again!.

It is a great relief to know that it is not just me being a crotchety old woman but that this does come under subtle harrasment. Many thanks for the suggestion of the 'electric fence', I wasn't sure if I was allowed in a point of law to do this, but will make certain....may even ask my council about it and also about putting up a higher fence. (hopefully it will not be used as a goal post).

I don't feel quite so helpless now, thank you.

Comment

Hi Juniper

I'm glad that you feel a little better now and hope that all goes well with the MP When you go for your appt. be sure to take copies of all the log sheets etc. so that you can leave them with him. He will then have all the facts in front of him if he does take action

Good Luck :clover: :clover: :clover:

Tri

Comment

Juniper, please do not let the NFH browbeat you, he is in the wrong and you have every right to keep on at the landlady.

Gosh these peopple have got a nerve havent they??? :angry:

I think you should still write to the landlady, otherwise she might think things are all hunky dory and let the nuisances carry on living there. You might mention to her that you want your privacy respected and that she should treat your letter as confidential and not go broadcasting your name to the NFH as he is aggressive and intimidating towards you. .

Honestly these people make my blood boil :badmood: :badmood:

I wish i had half the brass neck some of these NFH have!

:ban: :nfh1:
                      http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

Hi Juniper

I am sure you will get all the help and support you are looking for here .

I was just wondering about the overall security aspect of your property - others have mentioned this: is it possible for you to build a higher/more substantial fence?

If you can secure your garden, you'd have more peace of mind generally - perhaps the Local Community Police Officer (the one that advises Neighbourhood Watches on home security) could be worth asking round for advice. (just a thought )

Mazza

:nfh1:

Comment

hi there, welcome!

dont forget natures barbed wire!

prickly bushes!

they work a treat, there is a list of possible thorny shrubs on the main site under old newsletters......that reminds me, must get the summer edition out!!

Comment

Working...
                          X