X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eavesdropping Neighbours

Hi,

I was discussing my NFH saga with a friend recently. We discussed Peeping

Toms and she came up with a new term I just had to share.

Audiotry Toms or Listening Toms. With houses so close together these

days, it isn't hard for those next door (if they are warped, sick

minded people), to listen in and react in some way to let you know they

have heard you doing or saying something in your own house.

This is not as far fetched as it seems if your NFH is so focused on your life/lives

that they spend much time near the fence or your house wall listening to

what you/your family are doing. For instance, at night, sounds carry more

because there is less background noise. My family member fed the dog

and because it was quiet my family member (young) immediately got a

noise response from next door. My family member is hyper vigilant and a young

person who should be enjoying their life not coming back into the lounge

saying "they are totally mad next door, I can't wait till we move."

They heard her call the dog in our living area, to be fed. The door to a room

with a window near the fence was open and the window was open.

We don't even discuss anything important where we think NFH can hear us.

In the old days, we never even thought about neighbours listening in but

in the old days we never had an obsessed NFH.

Melanie :ban:

Please note that I neither peep nor listen! But I do live in Coventry... Maybe I should change my name.

My NFH has reported back to me unashamedly conversations my wife & I have had :blink: . We call him 'Radar O'Reilly'. There are 4 bricks between our houses (2 walls of double brick) and we seriously suspect he has listening devices, as well as tuning in to our baby monitor and cordless phone (but we've replaced this with a digital cordless now).

We do take advantage of this by openly discussing and planning how we will next abuse our children! He reported us for child abuse when he couldn't make us get rid of the dogs...

Normal people 'tune out' private conversations they overhear. Which is polite as well as normal. Or cough if we can't help hearing every word... Of course, the real Radar (M.A.S.H.) was a charming character, it's just the acuteness of the ears...
    "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

Hi Tom,

Sorry for any implication re your nick name

Yes we too have thought about listening devices, because

this guy is so obssessed.

I wouldn't be surprised at all since modern technology has such

things available.

I met someone else who had her phone listened into and bought

a new kind of phone. I didnt understand the technicalities of it

but she said cordless phones were too easy to pick up by scanners

and such. I don't use one of those and I won't buy one now.

These eavesdropping people are such a pain.

I hadn't thought of the openly planning attack thing where they could hear.

That could be fun except with my luck making that up with a friend

and discussing loudly could be taped or such and used against me

even if it was all fantasy. I once used to try and listen back to see

if I could work out their next attack but my hearing is not so good

and I decided to ignore was better.

Melanie

Comment

Melanie 345,

We live out in the Scottish Borders, miles from any sort of urban environment that you describe. The neighbour that gave me a hard time literally lives hundreds of yards from us.

Even with all this space we felt that this person was eavesdropping upon us. We felt that our every move was being watched and monitored by him.

It is not paranoia that you are experiencing, it is a sad fact that these sad people who have nothing better to do with their sad life’s do take it upon themselves to invade other peoples lives.

This bloke seemed to know exactly what we were doing and when, and with hindsight it was because he was watching us all the time. He seemed to know when to press the buttons and when to back off. It was really unnerving

There is no defence against this “listening Tom “ activity; it is an invasion of privacy.

This bloke was, like your own nfh, obsessive and determined to make our lives a misery. I’m sorry I don’t have the answer only my understanding.

Poor tom is correct, normal people tune out of private conversation, but who said nfh are normal?

Take care Kevin

Comment

What about NFH's who IMAGINE you have said something and swear blind that they heard you ??? and the tell all their cronies that you said it...when in fact you were living your own life and having a conversation which had nothing to do with them?????

e.g. my NFH accuses me of saying her son has 'big ears'...i remember having a conversation with my 7 yr old about how elephants have big ears,.....i can only assume she heard that... jeeez...you can only laugh at such fools...if i wanted to say something about her KFH I would have come up with somthing a bit more robust than that!!!!!

why do these idiots think all we do is think and talk about THEM????just because they are obssessive and lead tiny lives doesnt mean we are the same....

good job i am moving and soon be rid of the silly blighters

:nfh1: :nfh1:
          http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

kevinp, where in the borders do you live??? my sister lives in peebles, very nice.

I decree today that life

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Comment

Peebles for Pleasure!!

Very small place, the Borders. Well, not geographically. Just that everybody knows someone who knows you, and everybody probably knows your name or face anyway... There's a saying in Hawick about Teris (= Hawick folk) (and by extension Border folk) always meeting other Teris wherever they go: On the first package holiday to the Moon, you're bound to meet another Teri. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Blame my ex-wife :cry: if you don't get the joke, as she's the Teri, not me. I'm originally from West Linton (Peeblesshire), but stayed in Hawick/Lilliesleaf/Selkirk for many years, worked at Dingleton.

Currently in Coventry. :sad: But interview in Lanarkshire next week!

My point is, if you want to remain anonymous, KevinP, we'll understand if you don't say in more detail where you currently live.
              "Poor Tom shall lead thee" (King Lear)

Comment

Oh Gosh, of course I should have thought people want to remain anonymous

ever so sorry, silly me

so you know the borders very well tom, i go up there a lot to see my sister and i often go down to galashiels for a mooch, i have only been to hawick once, but i always say i must get about more as it is really lovely but i never seem to get very far. i spend all my time with my nephews!!!

st marys loch is wonderful as well. as is edinburgh, what a great metropolis and a fantastic atmosphere...beats essex any day (well the part where i live at any rate!!)

I decree today that life

Carpe Diem

Comment

:huh: Is there a NFH gene I wonder? My NFH are 'listeners' too, for example, I was chatting (quietly) to my friend at the back of my house (the danger area!) about needing a haircut, the next day Mrs Sweetie shouted over 'had your hair cut yet?' We put the radio now if we talk in the back. They used to listen when we were making plans to go out anywhere and would often find her son a few cars behind us, following.

Just a few ideas to get 'em going........

After digging - 'well, it shouldn't take too long for the body to decompose, the bones will take a little longer'.

'How long do you think a 75 year-old will last in the attic without food and water?'

'It took me a while to aquire the taste, but I can see now why vampires drink it.'

Mrs Bolshie
                  BE BOLSHY - RECLAIM YOUR GARDEN!

Comment

Last Christmas, we were trying to enjoy our first Christmas in our new home. We'd made complaints about NFH's noise to the EH, so were extra aware of noise issues from our house.

We decided to put on a "Christmassy" CD and had it at a volume of about 0.5 (machine goes up to about 100!!, - noise sufferers, you can imagine the scenario ).

We were happily cocking our ears to try and hear the song, when our NFh starts "singing" "ding, dong, ding, dong, la la la la la" - How on earth could he hear our music next door, when we could hardly hear it?

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel@Jul 16 2003, 9:45 AM

What about NFH's who IMAGINE you have said something and swear blind that they heard you ??? and the tell all their cronies that you said it...when in fact you were living your own life and having a conversation which had nothing to do with them?????

e.g. my NFH accuses me of saying her son has 'big ears'...i remember having a conversation with my 7 yr old about how elephants have big ears,.....i can only assume she heard that... jeeez...you can only laugh at such fools...if i wanted to say something about her KFH I would have come up with somthing a bit more robust than that!!!!!

why do these idiots think all we do is think and talk about THEM????just because they are obssessive and lead tiny lives doesnt mean we are the same....

good job i am moving and soon be rid of the silly blighters

:nfh1:* :nfh1:
                      *GREETINGS*

hmmmm.Sounds just like my nfh,she enjoys evesdropping our conversations.

She also has invented a little game where she turns our topic into some kind

of accusation against her or her family even though the topic was not related

to her or her family in the first place.

We have been ignoring her and it is driving her mad.

Accusations are rife at the moment but we are turning a blind eye and a deaf

ear.

Its good to know she is getting nowhere with her rantings.

The only annoying thing is that her family visit quite often and they let us know

they are here by banging doors and stomping around above.

We are still ignoring the noise.

The nfh son-inlaw kicks the entrance door to the flats open on his way out.

Hopefully it will come of its hinges soon.

Would you like to swap your neighbours for mine???? :nfh1:

Comment

After discussing a job opportunity in my front room (some 15ft above the driveway) my NFH was spotted hiding under the window trying to "stretch" up to hear the conversation with my nice neighbour

huh

Comment

Working...
                        X