This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a success regarding laminate flooring

One of our technicians recently lost his flat in a fire. They are just sorting out the insurance, and the money has come through to replace his carpets. He was going to do up the flat to rent out, and had the idea of getting laminate flooring, but I have managed to persuade him that this is not a good idea in a flat, so he's going to get carpeting instead. A minor victory - perhaps stopped him having tenants from hell (well, from the neighbours point of view anyway).

Say NO to laminate flooring! I think we should start a campaign to stop people using this flooring in flats - our neighbours have it in their terraced house, and it has certainly made things a lot worse, even in a house!

nice one flossie!

:thumbs:

sorry to hear about the fire though, but you are fight with flooring!, big thick carpets is what we like! :lol:

Comment

Well done flossie

The less noisy flooring there is the better.

I'll vote for the fluffy thick carpets over laminate any day.

Comment

Congratulations flossie :lol:

I am one of those people who suffer from the laminated flooring.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A CAMPAGIN FOR LAMINATED FLOORING?

Please let me know if there is one.

sky

Comment

Hi Flossie

I think that was really thoughtful thing for you to have done and it has made your friend stop and think about the considerations of his neighbours.

Well Done

:yes:

Comment

Well done Flossie You've not only saved your friend from complaints from his prospective tenants neighbours, but you've save those neighbours from nuisance

Misty
            "Almost anything you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. You must be the change that you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Interesting to read this. Our neighbours put laminate throughout their house about a year ago and made a bad noise situation worse overnight. We just acceptd it and thought it was a curse of modern life!

Read in one of those Sunday magazines only last wek that laminate is now "out" (probably why B&Q and others are always selling it off cheap) and that carpets are back in!

Well done on your success.

John
              "You have to be the change you wish to see in the world"

Comment

Yes, I agree with John - laminate is a fashion trend, will be very naff soon (sorry everyone with laminate, but even I've got a bit in my kitchen and I don't like it at all anymore !!!).

It is a curse and I do feel sorry for anyone in a flat with upsairs 'laminate' neighbours...or next door for that matter. :sad:

Flossie, I think your friend will thank you in the long run for the advice

Mazza

Comment

I hate laminate flooring as well, I have it downstairs in my new house and it is starting to irritate me, the clunking of shoes on the floor and the dust that settles on it constantly. i like to walk around barefoot and you cant do that with laminate, IMO, unless you like getting dusty feet! whatever people say about laminate being more hygienic dont believe them. put a decent carpet down and have it cleaned regularly,if necessary, thats what i say.

good on you for giving good advice.!!!!
                  http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif

I decree today that life

Is simply taking and not giving

England is mine - it owes me a living

But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye

Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye ~ Morrisey/Marr

Politics is Showbusiness for ugly people ~ Jay Leno

I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullsh***ters. I don't like schmoozers. I don't like ar*e-lickers. ~ Sir Alan Sugar

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." ~ Samuel Johnson

The secret of success is the capacity to overcome failure ~ Noel Coward

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today ~ Laurence J. Peter

Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine ~ Lord Byron

Better bread with water than cake with trouble ~ Russian Proverb

There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a cup of tea ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

Carpe Diem

Give Yourself to It ~ Sue Gadenne

Comment

I am a carpet-o-phile!! :thumbs:

I don't buy all that nonsense about being able to see the dust and cleaning it easier - it makes even more hard work!! You are forever sweeping AND mopping and buffing - nightmare! :blink:

And BIG dust monsters still accumulate in the nooks and crannies, however house proud you are!

A real good modern vacuum sorts that prob out and these days you can be too obsessed with dust etc. At least the vacuum does the job in a one-er.

A bit of dirt is healthy!!!!

Mazza

Comment

Thanks - didn't think I'd get such a response!

I think we pander too much to 'cleanliness' etc. House mites can't be the whole story. My child has never had asthma, is hardly ill etc, and we've always had fitted carpets - so it's not always the case.

I can appreciate your point of view, Janee, it must be difficult when you have a disability.

I recently bought a dyson after struggling with a stupid upright machine for years. I was absolutely horrified when I saw all the stuff that came out of our carpets. But we seem to have removed the worst of it in one go.

So what you need is carpet + good hoover!

A relative of mine recently bought/rented (not sure) a council flat, and the council guy with her said they get more noise complaints about laminate flooring than anything else, and advised her not to fit it.

Comment

Carpets, carpets, carpets!!! :thumbs:

I can't wait to rip up the (little bit) laminate flooring I have in the kitchen once our utility rm is built .

Mind, I'll be putting ceramic tiles in instead :unsure: . (no noise issues here though - solid concrete floor)

Is that a different kettle of fish altogether?! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by flossie@Nov 28 2003, 1:09 PM

I recently bought a dyson after struggling with a stupid upright machine for years.* I was absolutely horrified when I saw all the stuff that came out of our carpets.* But we seem to have removed the worst of it in one go.
                          Gawd, yes, tell me about that! :lol: You think you're clean :nuke: until you get one of those, it can be quite embarassing eh!

No more hoooooooooooover bags though!

Comment

hope your new places works out janee - it's lovely to plan new things.

Comment

Working...
                            X