This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds!!

The usual crowd of little darlings out there screaming obscenities and kicking footballs back and forth across the road - right at the mouth of a junction . . .

The ball is constantly hitting our hedge - grown high to stop them coming over . . . and the poor mother bird whose nest is there is standing helplessly on our lawn chattering desperately in fear for her nest and her young.

I can't go out and plead for the sake of the birds because the reaction would be precisely the same as if I asked them to stop for my sake - it would get worse.

I admit though, that more than ALL the annoyances all the NFHs cause *me* - that makes me want to go out there with something appropriate (that to which the scope in my pic attaches, for instance) and let rip. The poor creature is SO distressed. It may be 'only a bird' - but they suffer too - and more for not being able to understand.

tannasg

Puts you on edge doesn't it, wondering if the birds will still be around in the morning.

I would offer the solution of a number of nesting boxes in the hope that the bird will try that (as long as it's small enough).

Comment

We had a nesting box . . . birds wouldn't use it and it got burnt in the fire - sparks blew and set it alight as it was old dry wood . . . our new community copper has actually written to the council already to tell them to net my roof with wire to stop thrown fireworks landing on the flat felt and firing it . . . when it's done I may put boxes on top of that - cats wont' walk on wire - in fact they won't get up there cos it's too close to the dog at the back! - and we can service them from the window that looks out onto the roof.

I think they are still there - after all, these damn kids are every where and short of migrating altogether they must know they are safer in my hedge than elsewhere (I let the dog into the front garden - the kids are frightened he will jump the gate cos he doesn't like their antics either - they are some of the kids who tease him - they also know that if the ball does get into the garden over the gate - they've lost it - he rips it apart immediately. (it was funny when we first got him - they'd made the usual game of throwing it in deliberately then pestering for it back - doggy grew big - I invited them to fetch the ball any time they wanted . . . .! wonder why they just leave them there now . . . ? Keeps the dog in balls anyway - he has about 20 in various states of puncture out the back. I always put him in the front garden with his biggest and freshest bone - usually a cow's femur weighing about 10lb - the sight of him reducing it to splinters is quite er - bone-chilling

Tannasg

Comment

Hey, why don't you get one of the balls and cut a large hole in it and then stuff it deep into the hedge. The birds (especially a Robin) would probably go for that. Then at least you'd have the satisfaction of knowing the kids had actually helped in some way.

Comment

I can't go out and plead for the sake of the birds because the reaction would be precisely the same as if I asked them to stop for my sake - it would get worse.[/b]

If you're wrong about this, an opportunity to solve much of the problems could be here. (Bear in mind I speak as an outsider and without your expertise, though.)

One or two of the kids, though coming accross as a foul-mouthed urchin, may have a real passion for our feathered friends, and may like them as much, even more perhaps, as you do.

You never know, there's nowt so strange, etc...

Couldn't help but thinking that, given the right approach, this may be worth a try. Nothing like a bit of common ground to help ease a few differences. Unless things are really too far gone.

Just a thought, there has to be a way out of every pit of despair.

Comment

>>Hey, why don't you get one of the balls and cut a large hole in it and then stuff it deep into the hedge.

Comment

>>Couldn't help but thinking that, given the right approach, this may be worth a try. Nothing like a bit of common ground to help ease a few differences. Unless things are really too far gone.

Comment

robins love old kettles as nests!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tannasg@May 14 2003, 5:59 PM

they are out of sight of the little monsters and the dog knows they are forbidden ground - not for chewing, peeing or general vandalism;
                  Tannasg, your dog sounds more intelligent than the kids.

Comment

Working...
                  X